Thumb Keyboard Beta w/multi-touch

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Thumb Keyboard 4.0 Beta: Public Beta release of Thumb Keyboard 4.0

I don't have my Xoom with me, but Paul, the developer just emailed me about it's release. Multi-touch support is here!!!

From his post:

The new 4.0 version of Thumb Keyboard adds a lot of new features to the already full featured 3.0 version. To name a few:

True Multi-Touch
Correct previous written words with suggestions
Shortcuts - store and edit much written phrases, mail signatures, logins and insert them with a simple tap
New addition to the prediction algorithm: predict a word based on a previous word
Alternative suggestions for voice input. Just tap on the recognized word to see the alternatives
Redesign of the keyboard based on multi-touch chording. Entering numbers and operate the cursor keys was never more easy!
New style popup keyboards. Fling, slide and wipe and back to typing again ..
New design of the keyboard layout. Easier access of much used keys
Better esthetic integration with Honeycomb by the use of Honeycomb style windows
and more
Although Thumb Keyboard is famous because of its flexibility to run optimal on many screen sizes, this beta will currently focus only on the 10.1 " tablets. The release will of course also contain support, like the current market version, for phone size displays and 5 and 7 inch tablet displays.

Suggestion, bug reports etc. can be posted here or send to info.beansoft@gmail.com

Last edited:

Visual360

Dec 9, 2010
www.visual360photography.com
Weird. This is not working for me. Installing, but at the end, it says "not installed". Do I need to uninstall the paid version that I have?

I'll try again... BRB

edit: Yup, needs to remove the paid version (ver 3.x), now it's a go.

Complex Pants

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I really like this new version, however, I would also like for a regular layout to be available. Sometimes I type with my Xoom on a table or on my lap and the thumb layout just doesn't work. Both Tablet keyboard and the Swiftkey beta have a single button to switch between the two.

Also the hid keyboard button isn't needed in honeycomb as the back button switches to hide the keyboard.

TPadden

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Both Tablet keyboard and the Swiftkey beta have a single button to switch between the two.

Also the hid keyboard button isn't needed in honeycomb as the back button switches to hide the keyboard.

So does Thumb but in all honesty it takes 2 clicks - click the little keyboard next to the time on the right then click english keyboard, same to go back to thumb. :)

DrWu

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
not sure if I like it. Did they add a shift key on the right or move keys around? seems like everytime I go to hit backspace I'm hitting **** instead..also I hit backspace instead of L a lot with this new version. I think maybe the backspace used to be where the right shift is now. I hope they fix that because I'm so used to the old layout, I don't think I can upgrade, its too frustrating.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
not sure if I like it. Did they add a shift key on the right or move keys around? seems like everytime I go to hit backspace I'm hitting **** instead..also I hit backspace instead of L a lot with this new version. I think maybe the backspace used to be where the right shift is now. I hope they fix that because I'm so used to the old layout, I don't think I can upgrade, its too frustrating.

I was doing the same thing last night but after tweeting a bit I got used to it pretty fast, give it some time. I tweeted over the course of a hockey game and was used it by the time it was over.

I think the new beta is great, with multi touch enabled you can really just fly through and type whatever you want and the space bar, last character issue is totally gone.

Vudumedic

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I am digging the new layout and my two biggest problems are no more. I was having an issue where the auto capitalize wasn't working at the start of each typing session, gone now. And when I hit the spacebar I was bringing up the notification area also no longer an issue. Can't wait to see the whole thing up and running.

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, it's pretty meh though.... mainly because accessing the. , and ' is a pretty big chore.if they maybe changed it to a better position I would maybe actually try learning it a bit more, for now I will stick with stock.

Sent from my Xoom

Manicor

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Outstanding

I've been using the paid version, the beta is so much better! Love the changes! It seems the haptic feedback is not working?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci