131. You may not vote on this poll
  • Motorola Xoom

127 96.95%
  • Blackberry PlayBook

4 3.05%
04-21-2011 01:00 AM
79 1234
tools
    Honeycomb is the most functional tablet OS to date and it's only going to get better.

The Xoom hardware wise is a great piece of equipment. I got mine on 2/23, if other tablets were also about to come out I may have waited. I just really wanted that first in experience with this device and was pretty excited to get it since it was first announced.

I don't think you'll find the same browser/productivity experience on any other tablet right now. That being said the Tegra3 CPU was already announced before the Xoom even came out, so there's always going to be something better just around the corner. If you're invested in to the android eco system I'd say go for the Xoom if you like it's form factor.

If you want a better screen and something a little more portable it may be worth waiting a little.

As far as going head to head with the Playbook, I'd say the Xoom/Android win hands down. It's no secret the Xoom lacks vs Apple when it comes to app availability - that being said anything you want to do on an ipad you can probably do on the Xoom, the "best of" apps (for me anyway) appear on both platforms. Though the playbook will be even further behind with it's eco system until it can use android apps, but why buy a tablet that you'll have to wait to use something you can use right now if you go out and grab the Xoom?

The biggest Xoom issue that I see right now from chatting with people and browsing the forums is that some older apps really affect the overall honeycomb experience, for instance Astro file manager causes a lot of issues system wide. I remember when Eclair (android 2.1) was like this for a period of time so I'm hoping a software update for honeycomb or ice cream give the OS a more protect mode to run in so it's not threatened by apps that use older techniques. I have over 85 apps installed and my Xoom runs great, my browsing experience has been awesome and I've just stuck with the stock browser and use it heavily.
    04-15-2011 09:51 AM
    First let me say I am typing this from my xoom. It really is a great device. For the most part it is very quick, and I haven't found much it can't do. If you are looking for a tablet and aren't already invested in the iCrapple stuff then it is a great option. There are many good android based tablets coming each with advantages a disadvantages. After looking at everything I could find I figured the Xoom to be a probably the best compromise across the board.

The xoom has a decent screen. What you have to be aware of on the screen side is how a the brightness is setup. Simply make sure that you compare them with auto on or at full contrast on both. So far pretty much every application I have tried works fine on the xoom except for a few. I bet there is a good chance that will be fixed to if the dev's want the best possile sales.

Something to note is honeycomb is awesome for tablets. There is really no comparison to earlier tablets OS's. I have noticed two things that cause slow downs. Allot of widgets on the homescreen or excessive multitasking. I expect the excessive multitasking slowdowns to improve as honeycomb matures. I really don't consider the slowdowns for the widgets a negative, just a expected result. They never make it unusable just not as fluid as before.

For the 7" variants I strongly suggest looking at the Nook Color. It doesn't have the camera or GPS, but is a very functional tablet once rooted and loaded with CynogenMod7. And you really can't beat the 250 price tag. I got the nook first to see if I was going to be interestes in a tablet, and well I liked it.

On that same note the big thing I miss from using the Nook Color is the compact nature and the easy typing with the device in hand. Basically with the xoom I want to set it down and type like I would on a computer. On the nook I would hold it like a phone and type with my thumbs. The bigger screen (width) and weight don't make that very comfortable on the xoom. It isn't a big deal just a change in how I use it.

As it ends up I know have both a 7" and 10" both are nice in there own way.

Google talk for video chat is really slick on the Xoom by the way.
    JerzieBarbie likes this.
    04-15-2011 11:05 AM
    Thanks so much... I have to read thru the reply once more, but i see you provided some great info...

Sent From My Samsung Epic via TapaTalk
    wmoor004 likes this.
    04-15-2011 11:41 AM
    Great thread so far, I do like the comparisons of 7" vs. 10" tablet screen size. We can all agree that we are huge Android fans here, so JerzieBarbie, I hope you are also posting this type of thread at Crackberry.com to see what those guys have to say. Definitely try out the Playbook first before buying the Xoom.

That being said, I have a Nook Color. Love it. Absolutely brilliant. I am going to get a 10" HC tablet soon, and I was all set to get a Xoom. However, when I used it in the store I was surprised at how heavy it felt while holding it. After about 30 minutes of holding it non-stop, pain started developing in my wrist. I am a little surprise that no one mention the weight factor in this discussion as it really starts to matter if you have to hold the device for a long time.

It's the reason I couldn't commit. It's too heavy. Whereas the Nook Color feels much more manageable for longer periods of time. That's one of the Playbook's advantages. Maybe it's just me, but weight is the primary reason I am looking at Samsung's Galaxy Tab 10.1. It's thinner, which is better for holding, it's lighter, and it's WiFi version is coming in less than 2 months (June 8th)!

If you can hold out, that's the device I think you should seriously consider. I know it's the one I am considering!

Hope this helps! (But I know it'll probably confuse you all over again!)
    -Elo
    JerzieBarbie likes this.
    04-15-2011 03:09 PM
    Great thread so far, I do like the comparisons of 7" vs. 10" tablet screen size. We can all agree that we are huge Android fans here, so JerzieBarbie, I hope you are also posting this type of thread at Crackberry.com to see what those guys have to say. Definitely try out the Playbook first before buying the Xoom.

That being said, I have a Nook Color. Love it. Absolutely brilliant. I am going to get a 10" HC tablet soon, and I was all set to get a Xoom. However, when I used it in the store I was surprised at how heavy it felt while holding it. After about 30 minutes of holding it non-stop, pain started developing in my wrist. I am a little surprise that no one mention the weight factor in this discussion as it really starts to matter if you have to hold the device for a long time.

It's the reason I couldn't commit. It's too heavy. Whereas the Nook Color feels much more manageable for longer periods of time. That's one of the Playbook's advantages. Maybe it's just me, but weight is the primary reason I am looking at Samsung's Galaxy Tab 10.1. It's thinner, which is better for holding, it's lighter, and it's WiFi version is coming in less than 2 months (June 8th)!

If you can hold out, that's the device I think you should seriously consider. I know it's the one I am considering!

Hope this helps! (But I know it'll probably confuse you all over again!)
    -Elo
    I most def did! Guess what, Everyone over there says PlayBook. lol Go Figure!!!

Funny that you say that because I am making this thread to get help and with all the input I'M STILL PLAYING HOP HOP between devices. But I d really prefer the 10 inch screen. Galaxy Tab and Playbook are going to be too small. I have played with Tab many times and with my phone at 7 inches, I dont think a Tab would be ultimate for me. Never really considered the Nook because I thought it had limitations as far as a full time Tablet....

I don't know. My mind is def leaning towards the Xoom. But that can change at any moment.

Thanks for your input. Everything helps....
    04-15-2011 03:19 PM
    As a bb user from the very beginning (remember the first bb sized like a pager?) I think the Playbook is yet another failed attempt by rim to kick itself in the right direction. I will have one on launch day (corporate buy) and will tether it to a bold but I have low expectations. Some say the xoom was rushed but the pb is easily six months away from being a buy.

Put android 3 on it and it would be quite compellings a seven inch tab. I plan to buy a seven incher.to accommodate my larger xooms and pads but this is not where i would spend my own dollars on.
    JerzieBarbie likes this.
    04-15-2011 06:28 PM
    As a bb user from the very beginning (remember the first bb sized like a pager?) I think the Playbook is yet another failed attempt by rim to kick itself in the right direction. I will have one on launch day (corporate buy) and will tether it to a bold but I have low expectations. Some say the xoom was rushed but the pb is easily six months away from being a buy.

Put android 3 on it and it would be quite compellings a seven inch tab. I plan to buy a seven incher.to accommodate my larger xooms and pads but this is not where i would spend my own dollars on.
    Ahhhh a 10 inch PlayBook, with Android 3.0. Yes! lol...

Wishful thinking.
    04-15-2011 07:07 PM

That I can agree with, when I first got my Xoom I was going to have to get used to the fact that it was a little bulky and the screen was not good for typing pn if you don't type on your lap ( portrait was suprisingly good though, a little more getting used to but compared to my Nexus S, I felt no difference.... shocking). Honeycomb just needs a major update by Google, not Motorola, I could care less if Motorola finally adds SD card support ( custom kernel and I have an SD card working, eat it Motor :-P ) I want a much more stable OS to begin with, then establish from that... however as we all know Android did not start like that, but progressed to what we have today (which I LOVE). 7inch Galaxy Tab would be great if people could finally get a stable build of Honeycomb on it.

Sent from my Xoom
    JerzieBarbie likes this.
    04-15-2011 07:31 PM
    Jersey did you get you Zoom yet?
    04-15-2011 09:47 PM
    No not yet... suppoedly tomorrow, Sunday the latest. I'm nervous and excited... lol

04-15-2011 10:14 PM
    Either one is not finished so flip a coin.
    04-15-2011 10:43 PM
    Falcon... I've gathered that... they both have some flaws, as does any device... but since id rather have 10inch screen then I'm gonna roll with the Xoom. Thanks....

You make perfect sense. Lol. I'm gonna use that coin for Tax on that $600. Hehe

04-16-2011 06:01 AM
    Glad you decided on the Xoom, I bought one last week (Verizon model) and have zero regrets. Some apps work, some don't. In time almost all of them will and those that dont wont be worth your time anyway. Many of the apps that don't work right are not really needed anyway because with the FULL internet experience on the Xoom I can load the full versions of these forums and Facbook, etc and use then with ease in the tabbed browser with Flash.

For anyone else reading this:

* Unless you currently own and use a BB I would not even consider a Playbook at this point. All of the productivity apps are missing/require integration with a BB.
    * Playbook will only be able to run Android apps that are submitted to AppWorld -- you cant just side load them (can you?) and you cant just download the market and install them that way (well maybe Amazon will make a version of theirs that is compatible?)
    * It's buggy. Listen to Crackberry Kevin salivate with anticipation on the AC and SPE podcasts when he was a guest and then read his review ... even he was disappointed and that speaks volumes
    * A lot has been said about the lack of LTE but honestly at this point so many of us don't have it anyway it really isn't that big a deal and if it is you can always tether your Thunderbolt or other forthcoming LTE phone. Don't think of it as a lack of a feature think of it as a free upgrade.
    * The lack of a (working) SD card slot does kinda suck BUT it in no way impacts the functionality of the phone. Apps that are set up to save data to an SD card save it to a folder of that name, the only real issue here is the lack of the extra space but then again think of it as a free upgrade to your device.
    * At this point the Galaxy Tab is a joke (yes I saw the OP wanted the larger screen) because it will never be upgraded and if you think it will be any different for the newer forthcoming larger screen models you are deluding yourself. Samsung almost never upgrades their phones and when they do, said upgrade is already out of date. Don't waste your time or money!
    * Weight wise the Xoom IS heavier this is true but honestly it is not THAT heavier than the iPad and other things it's size.
    * In my experience the Xoom is fast and in no way buggy (the Xoom itself, some of the un-optimized apps definitely are).
    04-17-2011 03:16 AM
    Jerzie did you buy your doom yet? When you do please share your experience.
    04-17-2011 05:25 AM
    I went through the same decision process, but with waiting for the touchpad or getting the xoom. But in the end, I got the xoom for the same reasons that I love Android as my smartphone - for the google integration. I'm a heavy user of google apps like gmail, voice, reader, talk, etc., so I knew that an android device would be best for a tablet. I'm happy with my xoom, and the only device that I think I really want over it is another honeycomb tablet, and thats the Samsung galaxy tab 8.9. I think the top notch specs and the slightly smaller screen is worth the 1.2" screen size sacrifice. I think that the size will help with the usage, and portability would be better too.
    04-17-2011 06:06 PM
    I got it!!!!!

5 minutes out the box... it IS heavy. I am still learning things now and will be back with a more in depth review..
    04-17-2011 07:25 PM
    Since it took a long time for me to get over being burned by all the hyped-up empty promises of the Storm 1 & 2, I vowed I'd never go with another BB device again. Comparatively speaking, the Android devices, IMO, made laggy BB devices seem like a science project. LOL
    Stick with the Xoom, you will love it!
    JerzieBarbie likes this.
    04-17-2011 08:16 PM
    Give us an update on what you think. In other words give me your "Now what". Lol

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
    04-17-2011 08:44 PM
    Haha you are right. I have a lot to figure out now. My internet isn't as fast as id hope on a wifi network.... and it is a bit heavy BUT I'm learning and getting used to it. I do like the experience.
    04-17-2011 09:07 PM
    Haha you are right. I have a lot to figure out now. My internet isn't as fast as id hope on a wifi network.... and it is a bit heavy BUT I'm learning and getting used to it. I do like the experience.
    I'm glad you've finally purchased one, its the best.
    04-17-2011 11:09 PM
    I most def did! Guess what, Everyone over there says PlayBook. lol Go Figure!!!..
    I am also a huge fan of Blackberry (carry a Bold 9650 with me almost everywhere in addition to whatever Android I am using at the time). Even saying that chose the Xoom over the Playbook. It's great that you can "bridge" your BB with your PB but the point that RIM ad the PB apologetics keep missing is that you should not HAVE TO if you don't want to. The lack of key productivity apps killed it for me. I don't NEED anything else to use my Xoom, but I can tether it with my Thunderbolt if a WANT to.
    JerzieBarbie likes this.
    04-18-2011 01:21 AM
    I happened to walk in best buy yesterday and noticed the blackerry playbook was on display. So I grabbed it to check it out and see what the hype is about if any.

Here's the verdict:
    I got a migraine playing with it. Literally

I could not figure out how to switch screens to go to an app screen or just to look at the home page. There are no physical navigation buttons (like the xoom) but there isn't any on screen nav buttons as well. I finally figured out that you have to swype the screen to get to another page which also didn't work at times. I finally got to a home screen and realized I could open several screens that would stay open which was neat but its not very user friendly. I then put it down due to a bad headache

Final Verdict: Avoid this thing at all costs. I believe its headed for failure
    04-19-2011 08:04 PM
    I too am shopping for a tablet and the more i read the more i get nervous. trying to make the best decision is a bit hard. That being said, i played with the XOOM in the store and i also went today to play with the Playbook.
    I am currently a Blackberry user who hates BB as i have a need to get some work done but the screen size and the apps are really lacking. The Playbook is AMAZING but here is my 2 cents.
    - Android apps on the Playbook will not be native, therefore a high risk of crashing
    - Size of screen really is too small, you want a tablet to browse and 7inches is not recommended as you constantly have to pinch/zoom to read a page. I do that on my phone.
    - Blackberry Apps are ALWAYS more expensive compared to iOS and Android
    - RIMs perception of it all is us the browser (they are changing their minds but might take a couple of months to see dedicated apps). So if the browser is your portal to apps then 7 inches is too small.
    - I might be getting old but listening to a movies, chatting and playing music is a bit over the top. Its nice to see it work but in the real world who can multitask like that? Oups, forgot my 4 year old son.
    - speakers are located on the side where you hold the tablet.

I think with all the choices out there in the end only 2 will dominate and they will be iOS and Android, QNX will be present but will depend on the market share of BlackBerry and WebOS, while being a very solid and good OS will probably not get widespread adoption as people are scared to invest in something that is not certain.

As for my, i will be getting my XOOM this week and will try it out for 2 weeks. If all goes well i will keep it. If i cannot get it to do what i want i will bring it back and maybe wait 1 or 2 months. That being said the Samsung Galaxy 10.1 is coming out in June. If it has a solid build then it will be a contender with the XOOM for my $$$.

Cheers and good luck
    04-19-2011 09:09 PM

As for my, i will be getting my XOOM this week and will try it out for 2 weeks. If all goes well i will keep it. If i cannot get it to do what i want i will bring it back and maybe wait 1 or 2 months. That being said the Samsung Galaxy 10.1 is coming out in June. If it has a solid build then it will be a contender with the XOOM for my $$$.

Cheers and good luck
    My predictions are not quite as Doom and Gloom as yours are when it comes to RIM (I actually think they will be a significant player once they get their crap together) but yes Android will be the king and iOS will be present as well but I honestly thing that eventually their market share will shrink as QNX (Playbook) and Toichpad (WebOS) gain traction. Eventually people will get tired of Apple's dumbing things down and most power users will abandon them and iOS will mostly be the non tech users.

Good luck with tour Xooom, I hope you enjoy it as much as I have been, I dont carry it with me everywhere (yet) but around the house here I am finding I am reaching for my Xoom more and more where I used to reach for my DInc or TBolt. I have taken it out and about with me a couple times and it is not as awkward to carry as you might think. I have slip case I bought from Verizon for it and carry it in that when not in use. Works great!
    04-20-2011 02:03 AM
    i will be carrying it everywhere as i have a company paid portable WiFi that uses 4G. Will keep the little hockey puck in my bag and my XOOM will always be connected.
    04-20-2011 06:45 AM
79 1234