Motorola Xoom or Blackberry Playbook

Motorola Xoom or Blackberry Playbook

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JerzieBarbie

Oct 8, 2010
www.facebook.com
Falcon... I've gathered that... they both have some flaws, as does any device... but since id rather have 10inch screen then I'm gonna roll with the Xoom. Thanks....

You make perfect sense. Lol. I'm gonna use that coin for Tax on that $600. Hehe

Sent From My Samsung Epic via TapaTalk

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Glad you decided on the Xoom, I bought one last week (Verizon model) and have zero regrets. Some apps work, some don't. In time almost all of them will and those that dont wont be worth your time anyway. Many of the apps that don't work right are not really needed anyway because with the FULL internet experience on the Xoom I can load the full versions of these forums and Facbook, etc and use then with ease in the tabbed browser with Flash.

For anyone else reading this:

* Unless you currently own and use a BB I would not even consider a Playbook at this point. All of the productivity apps are missing/require integration with a BB.
* Playbook will only be able to run Android apps that are submitted to AppWorld -- you cant just side load them (can you?) and you cant just download the market and install them that way (well maybe Amazon will make a version of theirs that is compatible?)
* It's buggy. Listen to Crackberry Kevin salivate with anticipation on the AC and SPE podcasts when he was a guest and then read his review ... even he was disappointed and that speaks volumes
* A lot has been said about the lack of LTE but honestly at this point so many of us don't have it anyway it really isn't that big a deal and if it is you can always tether your Thunderbolt or other forthcoming LTE phone. Don't think of it as a lack of a feature think of it as a free upgrade.
* The lack of a (working) SD card slot does kinda suck BUT it in no way impacts the functionality of the phone. Apps that are set up to save data to an SD card save it to a folder of that name, the only real issue here is the lack of the extra space but then again think of it as a free upgrade to your device.
* At this point the Galaxy Tab is a joke (yes I saw the OP wanted the larger screen) because it will never be upgraded and if you think it will be any different for the newer forthcoming larger screen models you are deluding yourself. Samsung almost never upgrades their phones and when they do, said upgrade is already out of date. Don't waste your time or money!
* Weight wise the Xoom IS heavier this is true but honestly it is not THAT heavier than the iPad and other things it's size.
* In my experience the Xoom is fast and in no way buggy (the Xoom itself, some of the un-optimized apps definitely are).

gadgetluva

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I went through the same decision process, but with waiting for the touchpad or getting the xoom. But in the end, I got the xoom for the same reasons that I love Android as my smartphone - for the google integration. I'm a heavy user of google apps like gmail, voice, reader, talk, etc., so I knew that an android device would be best for a tablet. I'm happy with my xoom, and the only device that I think I really want over it is another honeycomb tablet, and thats the Samsung galaxy tab 8.9. I think the top notch specs and the slightly smaller screen is worth the 1.2" screen size sacrifice. I think that the size will help with the usage, and portability would be better too.

LMO

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Since it took a long time for me to get over being burned by all the hyped-up empty promises of the Storm 1 & 2, I vowed I'd never go with another BB device again. Comparatively speaking, the Android devices, IMO, made laggy BB devices seem like a science project. LOL
Stick with the Xoom, you will love it!

Reactions: JerzieBarbie

JerzieBarbie

Oct 8, 2010
www.facebook.com
Haha you are right. I have a lot to figure out now. My internet isn't as fast as id hope on a wifi network.... and it is a bit heavy BUT I'm learning and getting used to it. I do like the experience.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I most def did! Guess what, Everyone over there says PlayBook. lol Go Figure!!!..

I am also a huge fan of Blackberry (carry a Bold 9650 with me almost everywhere in addition to whatever Android I am using at the time). Even saying that chose the Xoom over the Playbook. It's great that you can "bridge" your BB with your PB but the point that RIM ad the PB apologetics keep missing is that you should not HAVE TO if you don't want to. The lack of key productivity apps killed it for me. I don't NEED anything else to use my Xoom, but I can tether it with my Thunderbolt if a WANT to.

Reactions: JerzieBarbie

mrboss23

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I happened to walk in best buy yesterday and noticed the blackerry playbook was on display. So I grabbed it to check it out and see what the hype is about if any.

Here's the verdict:
I got a migraine playing with it. Literally

I could not figure out how to switch screens to go to an app screen or just to look at the home page. There are no physical navigation buttons (like the xoom) but there isn't any on screen nav buttons as well. I finally figured out that you have to swype the screen to get to another page which also didn't work at times. I finally got to a home screen and realized I could open several screens that would stay open which was neat but its not very user friendly. I then put it down due to a bad headache

Final Verdict: Avoid this thing at all costs. I believe its headed for failure

STEMALO

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I too am shopping for a tablet and the more i read the more i get nervous. trying to make the best decision is a bit hard. That being said, i played with the XOOM in the store and i also went today to play with the Playbook.
I am currently a Blackberry user who hates BB as i have a need to get some work done but the screen size and the apps are really lacking. The Playbook is AMAZING but here is my 2 cents.
- Android apps on the Playbook will not be native, therefore a high risk of crashing
- Size of screen really is too small, you want a tablet to browse and 7inches is not recommended as you constantly have to pinch/zoom to read a page. I do that on my phone.
- Blackberry Apps are ALWAYS more expensive compared to iOS and Android
- RIMs perception of it all is us the browser (they are changing their minds but might take a couple of months to see dedicated apps). So if the browser is your portal to apps then 7 inches is too small.
- I might be getting old but listening to a movies, chatting and playing music is a bit over the top. Its nice to see it work but in the real world who can multitask like that? Oups, forgot my 4 year old son.
- speakers are located on the side where you hold the tablet.

I think with all the choices out there in the end only 2 will dominate and they will be iOS and Android, QNX will be present but will depend on the market share of BlackBerry and WebOS, while being a very solid and good OS will probably not get widespread adoption as people are scared to invest in something that is not certain.

As for my, i will be getting my XOOM this week and will try it out for 2 weeks. If all goes well i will keep it. If i cannot get it to do what i want i will bring it back and maybe wait 1 or 2 months. That being said the Samsung Galaxy 10.1 is coming out in June. If it has a solid build then it will be a contender with the XOOM for my $$$.

Cheers and good luck

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
As for my, i will be getting my XOOM this week and will try it out for 2 weeks. If all goes well i will keep it. If i cannot get it to do what i want i will bring it back and maybe wait 1 or 2 months. That being said the Samsung Galaxy 10.1 is coming out in June. If it has a solid build then it will be a contender with the XOOM for my $$$.

Cheers and good luck

My predictions are not quite as Doom and Gloom as yours are when it comes to RIM (I actually think they will be a significant player once they get their crap together) but yes Android will be the king and iOS will be present as well but I honestly thing that eventually their market share will shrink as QNX (Playbook) and Toichpad (WebOS) gain traction. Eventually people will get tired of Apple's dumbing things down and most power users will abandon them and iOS will mostly be the non tech users.

Good luck with tour Xooom, I hope you enjoy it as much as I have been, I dont carry it with me everywhere (yet) but around the house here I am finding I am reaching for my Xoom more and more where I used to reach for my DInc or TBolt. I have taken it out and about with me a couple times and it is not as awkward to carry as you might think. I have slip case I bought from Verizon for it and carry it in that when not in use. Works great!

STEMALO

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
i will be carrying it everywhere as i have a company paid portable WiFi that uses 4G. Will keep the little hockey puck in my bag and my XOOM will always be connected.

frenzy757

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
congrats. I took my Xoom to Vegas for a week long wedding trip for a friend and it was awesome there. Tethered my Xoom to my NS and spend one afternoon with a bunch of my best friends betting on sports...what a life.

terrain

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Received my pb yesterday by am fedex. From one days use I really like the form factor and build quality. The screen is also very nice....wish moto had given us a nicer screen. I am tethering it to a bold and all of my exchange bits work like a champ. I don't expect that it will replace my xooms but should make a nice addition.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Received my pb yesterday by am fedex. From one days use I really like the form factor and build quality. The screen is also very nice....wish moto had given us a nicer screen. I am tethering it to a bold and all of my exchange bits work like a champ. I don't expect that it will replace my xooms but should make a nice addition.

I think they had to sacrifice something somewhere and that was it; could you imagine it being any MORE expensive?

I love my Xoom and do not have one second or regret over buying it.