I should've return my xoom earlier...

Visual360

Dec 9, 2010
www.visual360photography.com
Now this beast is really growing on me. Even the screen which I really don't care, looks pretty good now.
I was convince that I'll return the xoom in favor of the yet to be release Asus transformer, but looks like that won't happen anymore. This thing is just a pleasure to use.

Anyone else out there have a change of heart after using the xoom for a while?

ljewlove

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
I had an Ipad before the Xoom simply because there was no android tablet out that could meet my hardware geek needs. After getting the xoom i can say that I will never buy another apple device again, as in my personal opinion this tablet just has so much more to offer than the simplicity of the ipad. When friends ask whether they should buy an Ipad or Xoom i tell them if they want a simple os with no customization, horrible notifications, limited functionality beyond what apple wants you to have, but plenty of apps then the ipad is for you. On the other hand if you want a customizable tablet that requires a bit more of a learning curve, but is in its first stages of release so it doesnt have all the apps and sometimes has some os problems which will be fixed in the coming months then get a xoom. I also brag on how beautiful the 3d interface of the xoom is, which to me hands down to choose the xoom w honeycomb.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Reactions: LeeTemplar

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Nope. Returned the Xoom this Monday.

Primarily waiting for the Transformer to show itself.

That's not to say I won't end up "re-buying" the Xoom. It does have the smallest bezel of any of them based on pictures available on the net. Will have to see if that is an issue or not (or even if the larger bezels on the other offerings turn out to be a benefit in making it easier to hold.)

If I did end up getting the Xoom again, I would likely get the rummored 16GB version that I assume will be significantly less than the 32GB version.

It has been a bit of a hard downshift going back to using my little phone around the house though...

-Suntan

ljewlove

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
I bet, the ee pad videos on youtube look awsome, and I do like the fact that the screen is better, however I am really looking foward to the next update for honeycomb because its going to make what is in my opinion an aswome device even more amazing.

Visual360

Dec 9, 2010
www.visual360photography.com
Yup, one thing that I'm considering the transformer is the IPS screen. I love it on my iPad, so I'm pretty sure it'll look great on the Asus.

Another thing, and probably the main reason for moving to the Android OS is Honeycomb. I love this OS. It's a bit confusing at first, but I don't see my self going back to IOS or even gingerbread. And to think that this is only version 1.0.

ljewlove

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Yup, one thing that I'm considering the transformer is the IPS screen. I love it on my iPad, so I'm pretty sure it'll look great on the Asus.

Another thing, and probably the main reason for moving to the Android OS is Honeycomb. I love this OS. It's a bit confusing at first, but I don't see my self going back to IOS or even gingerbread. And to think that this is only version 1.0.

percisely my thinking, honeycomb is amazing and when i looked at mybosses ipad the other day it reminded me of how boring and simplistic the ipad was when i had one lol.

mr.seth.price

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I bought and returned one for one reason only. I'm the only android lover in my family. Both my wife and 2 year old son just don't care about the extras. Simplicity works well for those two.

If it was just going to be my device and not the "families" to use. I would have kept it. Miss it already.

Alas...oh well. back to ipad.

Bossxii

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Nope. Returned the Xoom this Monday.

Primarily waiting for the Transformer to show itself.

That's not to say I won't end up "re-buying" the Xoom. It does have the smallest bezel of any of them based on pictures available on the net. Will have to see if that is an issue or not (or even if the larger bezels on the other offerings turn out to be a benefit in making it easier to hold.)

If I did end up getting the Xoom again, I would likely get the rummored 16GB version that I assume will be significantly less than the 32GB version.

It has been a bit of a hard downshift going back to using my little phone around the house though...

-Suntan

Same boat here, I finally broke down and returned the Xoom as my return period ends tomorrow. I have to at least look at the Transformer and compare. Coming from the iPad and having used the iPad 2 the screen bugs me. I don't get going cheap on the one thing you will stare and and interact with most of the time unless hooked to a HDTV etc..

I think the keyboard/dock with the extra battery life will be very nice. I run long days between work and night classes so 7am till 10pm away from the house and never worrying about carrying a charger is one less thing to deal with. If it gets 14 to 16 hours of use, that will be amazing. I have seen a few video's of the unboxing and it looks very nice and thin, and the back looks textured for a nice grip.

Now if I can wait 2 or 3 weeks without a tablet... lol

Carlos Thomas

Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
If you guys are into the Hardware rat race I am here to tell you, it will never end. Buy the O/S and get a device that meets your needs. It is all about the O/S, followed by APPS, followed by Hardware.

ljewlove

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
I bought and returned one for one reason only. I'm the only android lover in my family. Both my wife and 2 year old son just don't care about the extras. Simplicity works well for those two.

If it was just going to be my device and not the "families" to use. I would have kept it. Miss it already.

Alas...oh well. back to ipad.

Sigh.. sorry for your predicament bud. Maybe when the 16 gig xoom / transformer comes out you can get one without your wife killing you, my wife is the same way when it comes to gadgets lol.

ongre10

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I bought a wifi version from Costco.

I hope the developers update those apps which don't work properly on the Honeycomb OS. I imagine that will accelerate with more tablets being released. Also unlike apple products there aren't 5000 different cases and such available but there are appropriate accessories available. Get 'um now. I don't think Motorola is selling many of these yet and they have been known to bail on products when their profit projections aren't what they need from their corporate view.
I wanted to return it a couple of days after I bought it. But at my IT experts advice I did a factory reboot and carefully reinstalled only necessary apps. The unit wasn't charging, I think it was a battery monitor app ironically.
I chose meridian as the video player, it works well. I have 3 or 4 radio streaming apps some of which work OK some of which don't. Being able to stream flash videos is really good, The video clips on the sites I visit work to keep me informed without having to watch all that crappy television stuff.
The battery easily works all day streaming on WiFi or running movies and such. I have about 3 more weeks for possible return but I am very happy with the thing so far. Makes me think I should develop apps.

Last edited:

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
If you guys are into the Hardware rat race I am here to tell you, it will never end. Buy the O/S and get a device that meets your needs. It is all about the O/S, followed by APPS, followed by Hardware.

Thanks for the sage wisdom but this isn?t the first piece of consumer electronics I?ve ever been in the market for. ;)

Further, if the most important thing was the OS, then I would have never wandered over here and still be patiently waiting for the WebOS based Touchpad to be released? The reality is that it is about the OS, the hardware and the apps and one is not necessarily more important than the others.

-Suntan

Bossxii

May 13, 2010
Visit site

It will end when I have a tablet with Honeycomb and an IPS screen. Xoom is a great tablet, and I love Honeycomb but why settle for what in my opinion is a less than stellar screen when an IPS based tablet with the exact hardware spec's is coming in a few weeks? If I was beyond my return policy I'd probably just hang on the Xoom until the Xoom 2.. or whatever but the Asus Transformer with the keyboard dock and potential of 16 hour battery just makes to much sense to not give it a fair shake.

If I had never used an IPS screen on a tablet I wouldn't think much of it, but going backwards in screen tech to the Xoom just bugs me in an otherwise quality device.

Rhyyker

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
The more I learned about the transformer, the more I wanted to return the xoom. The fact that they didn't go with a better screen boggles my mind. Nice as the hardware inside is, you can't argue that the screen is the representative aspect of the product; it literally is the whole front, so it's both the most important aesthetic and functional part of the product.

whiteshadow001

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Here's my thing about the iPad, it's just a giant iPod!!!

Ususally when people say the iPad is awesome, I reply with "so you think an overglorified iPod touch is cool?" There is nothing GREAT about it. I had the iPad 2 for 2 days and returned it. Took it to college with me and people asked me how awesome it was and I told them it was the most dissappointing purchase I've ever made. Came back the net day with a Xoom and people knew I was happy with it cause I was showing it off to everyone. I'm waiting on the Transformer though but maybe will return it for the Xoom later cause I can seriously say I really miss my Xoom.

Rhyyker

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

Ususally when people say the iPad is awesome, I reply with "so you think an overglorified iPod touch is cool?" There is nothing GREAT about it. I had the iPad 2 for 2 days and returned it. Took it to college with me and people asked me how awesome it was and I told them it was the most dissappointing purchase I've ever made. Came back the net day with a Xoom and people knew I was happy with it cause I was showing it off to everyone. I'm waiting on the Transformer though but maybe will return it for the Xoom later cause I can seriously say I really miss my Xoom.

I tried my sister's ipad and had pretty much the same thought;"this is a giant ipod touch". I don't know if I'll go back to a Xoom, but I can say I definitely miss having an android tablet on a nightly basis.

Bossxii

May 13, 2010
Visit site

Here is my thinking when it comes to which tablet people should buy.

If you have ever posted on a tech/gadet site, enjoy tinkering, and getting the most out of your hardware. The Xoom is the way to go, or any of the upcoming Honeycomb tablets.

However the majority of people that ask my advice on what to buy, I would tell them the iPad simply because it is a giant iPod, giving them tons of apps, a basically a non tech approach to some cool tech. iPad is popular because anyone can use it, that in a nutshell is why you me and lots of more technically inclined people gravitate towards the Xoom and other Android tablets.

I spend many, many hours helping and explaining Android phone users that ask questions about some of the basics that while you and I think are easy and they must be stupid... no, it's the fact Android is built more like a full blown OS and simply has more layers and menu's to navigate.

My brother is the perfect example. He works in the banking industry and honestly could care less how his phone or tablet work, what OS it has etc.. He wants to plug it in at night to charge and have it automatically sync up with any updates, apps etc... the less time he has to jack with it the better. The iPad deals with what he needs to do and has apps to handle his basic email and web on the go aside from the BB that is work issued. It's not that he isn't smart enough to figure it out, he simply doesn't care enough about technology to learn. He has 3 kids and little time to spend browsing tech sites as I do. He loves the fact he can call me to help with any issues, but for me the iPad = less phone calls about how to set something up. The iPad serves the needs of many, many millions of people. I'm glad the iPad exploded on the market and pushed companies like Google and Moto, Asus etc.. to make these great tablets for the more tech/gadget/geek centric people that can have fun with what Android has to offer.

I understand the passion for one or the other, but I don't dismiss what each has to offer and what the advancement of both OS's means for us in terms of great product and OS updates. The bottom line is buy what you love and enjoy the technology it brings. As Honeycomb matures and more people find out there are alternatives to the iPad that do in fact run Flash and current web standards, sales will take off and we will have a very healthy and vibrant tablet market to please any and all that want to check them out.

Reactions: Terrigno

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I wouldnt say in that direct path. To me it would be OS, Hardware then Apps. The thing about Android being open source is that all of these horrible quality companys are making cheap tablets and it makes Android look cheap. Its a shame. Ive owned BlackBerry, The Dell Streak, Samsung Captivate, HTC Aria and now the Atrix and Xoom. Motorola has really stepped there game up with the quality of the hardware. The Xoom just feels like an expensive device, you can tell it is when you hold it. The Screen is actually fantastic on it thanks to the Gorilla Glass on both Xoom and the Atrix. Gorilla Glass will become the Standerd one day. Its almost like if it doesnt, then I wont get something that doesnt have it. It just makes the touch screen that much better. The qHD display is sweet also and is next to Super Amoled. The Super Amoled on the Captivate was the best screen I have ever seen in my life. Samsung needs to start selling that to everyone so we can get S. Amoled on all device.

Edit: I honestly in no way would see the Ipad being better then the Xoom if you put them both out next to eachother and they never had a fanbase. Apple in my opinion, is full of a bunch of followers. Those Followers seen what one company started and ran with it. I consider the Android company and all of the customers who get it, leaders in there own. They dont follow the cult. The roll with the Underdogs. Just like My desktop and Laptop are Dell with Windows OS systems. Ill never in my life by an Apple computer with Macintosh. I refuse for them to think they have a better device. Htc = High Quality. Samsung = High Qualitys with TVs and all. Motorola has been around forever and nowadays, = High Quality. Apple does make High Quality items. But I dont believe and refuse to even think that there quality on what they build is any better then some of the top namebrands in the industry...............Keep in mind. The followers will always follow. Deep down within they are normal followers. Then you have Leaders. Android is a Leader. Even BlackBerry is a leader in its own way. Windows doesnt lead with phones, but they sure do with there operating sytems.

Last edited:

jnewell

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
I have 3 or 4 radio streaming apps some of which work OK some of which don't. Being able to stream flash videos is really good, The video clips on the sites I visit work to keep me informed without having to watch all that crappy television stuff.

Which radio streaming apps work best on your Xoom???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci