Transformer hype

jarays212

Feb 26, 2010
Visit site
So I'm all for new android tabs coming to market to take more market share away from apple and promote more honeycomb development. 399 price tag for 16 gigs. ...8 hour battery life as opposed to the 10 I'm getting out of my xoom....and no concrete price on the keyboard dock? Also rumors of supply shortages out of the gate. So I'm supposed to return my xoom hoping for the chance of getting a transformer that may or may not be available at my best buy whenever launch day is? No thanks, I'm happy with my xoom!

Xoom users unite! Don't jump ship.

Complex Pants

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
So I'm all for new android tabs coming to market to take more market share away from apple and promote more honeycomb development. 399 price tag for 16 gigs. ...8 hour battery life as opposed to the 10 I'm getting out of my xoom....and no concrete price on the keyboard dock? Also rumors of supply shortages out of the gate. So I'm supposed to return my xoom hoping for the chance of getting a transformer that may or may not be available at my best buy whenever launch day is? No thanks, I'm happy with my xoom!

Xoom users unite! Don't jump ship.

I love my Xoom so far. The transformer looks like a great device, but I am pretty sure the Xoom will get all of the updates first and be better supported as far as software goes. I am happy with the screen. The only reason why I would jump ship is the dock. But I can always get a Bluetooth keyboard and call it a day.

Bossxii

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Don't recall seeing anyone asking Xoom owners to make a change. However some of us realize within two or three weeks the Asus Transforer will be out and want to check it out. The IPS screen, 16 hours of battery and a real KB for posts like this would be rather nice IMO if it does in fact live up to the hype I've seen.

Xoom is great but if I can spend $400 vs $600 or $800 on a device with the exact same specs...and the bonus of a $150 dock the provides more that Motos sound only dock. Hell ya I'm going to be interested. With the KB and doubling the battery, have a nice array of ports and a real KB plus the Xooms hardware with the bonus of a better looking screen. If I'm making a move to Honeycomb, I'm sure as hell not settling on a on one brand because they pushed tere product out the door first. Ill give Moto props forhaving the stones to jump in but my major issues are screen quality, the volume buttons and the poorly fitting cnarger plug.

Sorry but if Asus delivers 2 of those 3 better then ill be enjoying a Transformer.

Its not hype if everything ends up being true. :)

ecaggiani

Feb 18, 2010
www.zazzle.com
I bet a 3rd party keyboard dock could come out for the Xoom. If not, there's still bluetooth keyboards. I'm staying right here with my Xoom :)

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

ravizzle

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Also the transformer dock has a mouse touchpad too doesn't it? I don't think xoom works with mouse. The big question for the asus will be build quality though, the xoom is super solid and loopks really nice too.

Bossxii

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I bet a 3rd party keyboard dock could come out for the Xoom. If not, there's still bluetooth keyboards. I'm staying right here with my Xoom :)

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure Motor has a BT option already for $79, the charging dock for $49 and the speaker dock for $149. If they had only combined then into a single unit with an 8 hour battery they would have beat Asus to the punch.

Its all very possible the Transforner falls on its a$$ in terms of build quality, but I'm not willing to put on blinders when it release well before my return date ends at Best Buy. I type alot, and while love tablets having a KB dock that folds up and the bonus battery life. I gotta consider it. Xoom is a nice tablet but Honeycomb is why I am using the hardware not the other way around. Time will tell.

jarays212

Feb 26, 2010
Visit site
Ok so nobody has responded to the supply shortage rumor....its great if you want a transporter and wanna bail on your xoom. But what if you return and can't get a transformer? And is there confirmation of 150 price for dock? I don't believe so.

Bossxii

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Ok so nobody has responded to the supply shortage rumor....its great if you want a transporter and wanna bail on your xoom. But what if you return and can't get a transformer? And is there confirmation of 150 price for dock? I don't believe so.

I have yet to stand in a line for an Android based device. They talk about supply shortage to build the hype but as of yet I could walk in several stores and buy the Evo, TBolt and Xoom on launch day without a hint of a line,

I'm not worried about rumors on products that pretty much 99% of the people I would ask have never heard of. The Best Buy employees in the Geek Squad area were clueless, not a huge suprise, but I thought they may have heard of it. At least the Xoom ran a superbowl ad, and even then it was tough to find someone that knew what it was.

I think common sense explains if I return my Xoom and can't find a Transforer...I simply buy another Xoom while I wait for stock. There are plenty in stock at numerous stores here in KC. Yes the $150 is a guess based on rumors from varous sites and rumors.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site

You know you can always buy a Xoom again if the transformer never comes or if it sucks.

Personally, I really liked the Xoom the two weeks I had it. But the transformer is a lot more compelling to me for a number of reasons. (Not saying it has to be compelling to you or anyone else.)

I played with a BT keyboard with the Xoom, it isn't close to the same as a netbook form factor. The reality is that for some things, a netbook works better than a tablet, for others a tablet works better than a netbook. The Transformer looks to be both of those things. If it lives up to its billing it should be great.

Yeah, people love to throw out the comments like "Then just wait for the transformer 2, and then the 3, there'll always be something better..." in this instance, the transformer is clearly worth waiting for (for me) to review it in person, even if I do ultimately end up getting the Xoom again.

-Suntan

farwest

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
The Transformer is the first tablet that clearly differentiates itself from the Xoom. Better specs. Potentially better form factor (integrated, but detachable keyboard really appeals to me). Potentially cheaper price (still have yet to see official pricing of that $399 that's been bandied about).

If Asus delivers on the price point and build quality, they could quickly have a hit on their hands (and yes, I believe them when they say they've sold out of their initial build)

MOTO is clearly treating the Xoom as a failure, else why so long to get 4G and SD card functionality in place when others are releasing them already? As such, despite my enjoyment of the Xoom, if a better and cheaper tablet comes along, back goes my Xoom to Costco for a refund.

Complex Pants

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I am not sure how Motorola is treating the Xoom as a failure. Just because it hasn't flown off of the shelves doesn't mean it is a failure. IIRC Sprint is releasing a WiMax Xoom shortly. It is possible that Motorola is working on that and will offer 4G upgrades about the time of the release.

In addition, the only place where the transformer is superior to the Xoom is the fact that it can record in 1080p which in my mind is pretty worthless. I don't see many people using their tablets as video recorders. However, the transformer is larger and heavier and does not have a 3G/4G option. The only selling point of the transformer is the awesome keyboard dock and the potential $400 price tag for 16gb of storage. The question is, if a $400 16gb Xoom comes out which would you buy?

Note: I do realize the Transformer has an IPS screen, but screens are hard to measure objectively, so in left that out.

Last edited:

original00

May 13, 2010
Visit site
@complexpants
Not sure where you got ur info but the transformer is not heavier than the Xoom unless you are counting the keyboard

Complex Pants

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
@complexpants
Not sure where you got ur info but the transformer is not heavier than the Xoom unless you are counting the keyboard

I stand corrected. I double checked the comparison chart and the transformer is indeed lighter. Perhaps I got the the numbers mixed up in my head.

farwest

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
You forget the Transformer has full size USB that allows thumb drives and USB hard drives to function - l can't do that on the Xoom w/out rooting and I'm very irritated at that. Plus has SD card functionality. Plus has better screen. Plus appears to have lower price. Plus detachable keyboard is a really nice feature, if executed properly.

Xoom isn't looking all that great by comparison and I'll jump ship to another device maker at a drop of a hat thanks to generous Costco return policies. It's Honeycomb/Android I'm interested in, not the device maker. And if I can get superior form factor at lower price, I'd be a fool not to.

mrboss23

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I have one question for everyone. Where are all the honeycomb tablets? Are they out yet? Why not? Lol. Another thing, its funny how everyone talks about the Asus transformer like its the best thing since sliced bread. If you think its gonna be cheaper than the xoom with its keyboard attachment think again.

Bossxii

May 13, 2010
Visit site
You forget the Transformer has full size USB that allows thumb drives and USB hard drives to function - l can't do that on the Xoom w/out rooting and I'm very irritated at that. Plus has SD card functionality. Plus has better screen. Plus appears to have lower price. Plus detachable keyboard is a really nice feature, if executed properly.

Xoom isn't looking all that great by comparison and I'll jump ship to another device maker at a drop of a hat thanks to generous Costco return policies. It's Honeycomb/Android I'm interested in, not the device maker. And if I can get superior form factor at lower price, I'd be a fool not to.

Exactly. The features and benifits the Sus is bringing at a 30%+ discount to the Xoom is almost unbelievable, but if they deliver a quality built device at the $399 price no reason to keep my Xoom. Better hardware, cheaper price, same OS. Sounds like Asus figured out how to be competative in the tablet market. Moto should take notes.