I'm curious as to what sort of statistics other people are getting with their Xoom's data.

I use my Xoom primarily at college, and I use it ONLY for checking twitter, browsing basic html websites (mostly Android Central and Facebook), checking Pulse news, and most of the time just chatting with my girlfriend on Trillian. These combined, for about an hour a day, doesn't seem like enough to use 550MBs of my 1GB plan in only 11 days. At least not to me. Or is that normal?

If that's normal, how could anyone get by with using it to stream videos, music, flash websites, etc, for longer periods of time?
    04-18-2011 01:28 PM
    I'm curious as to what sort of statistics other people are getting with their Xoom's data.

I use my Xoom primarily at college, and I use it ONLY for checking twitter, browsing basic html websites (mostly Android Central and Facebook), checking Pulse news, and most of the time just chatting with my girlfriend on Trillian. These combined, for about an hour a day, doesn't seem like enough to use 550MBs of my 1GB plan in only 11 days. At least not to me. Or is that normal?

If that's normal, how could anyone get by with using it to stream videos, music, flash websites, etc, for longer periods of time?

people dont use 1GB of usage to stream videos, listen to music, etc. those services eat A LOT of data. gotta remember a regular move is 500-600mb's and if its HD its around 1 GB. I would try to leach off your schools wifi where ever you are.

I use my 1 GB for emergencies only the rest of the time i leave it in airplane mode.
    04-18-2011 01:35 PM
    I assumed if people used it to stream stuff they'd be smart enough to buy more. My only question was I DON'T stream anything, yet I use more data on my Xoom doing those simple tasks an hour a day than I do on my Incredible doing those tasks plus more ALL day. Doesn't make sense to me.
    04-18-2011 02:03 PM
    I totally agree *It makes no sence*! That's why I initially signed up for a 3gb plan... I do not stream - I have turned WIFI off and I am trying to use all the data I can to get a feel for what I will use monthly.
    04-18-2011 03:03 PM
    My first month, I used about 100MBs - At work, at home and at my girlfriend's house, I'm connected via WiFi (and that's where I use it the most) - but during that month, I probably spent an hour or so per week in a coffee shop browsing the web, reading email, etc (not streaming music) on 3G, plus some other miscellaneous usage (including a attending a 45 minute WebEx conference while in the passenger seat of a moving car). I'm wondering if maybe Trillian is using a lot to maintain your status?
    04-18-2011 03:51 PM
    I wonder about this, too. I have never used more than 100 MB on my phone. But for one thing, there are many more things (Widgets) to synch on a tablet. Also, the web pages are richer in detail as well…Most of the time I am pulling in the full page rather than the mobile version.

I have taken to using an app called TrafficStats to keep track of data use. It tracks wifi and cell separately. It usually gives a lowered useage than Big Red V, though. They agree within about 10 to 20%. I also turned automatic updates off on all my apps and update them manually on wifi upon notification.
    04-18-2011 06:04 PM
    I use about 1GB per month. I dont stream much content unles Im on WiFi. Im mostly use it like you. I'm currently on the 3 GB plan, and am considering dropping to the 1 GB plan.
    04-18-2011 06:22 PM
    I've been using 'RadioOpt Traffic Monitor' it provides a break down of usage per app as well as by wifi vs 3g
    04-18-2011 09:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD