Splashtop Remote - Use for Video Streaming

anon(259366)

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I haven't seen this mentioned on this forum, so I'd thought I would share. I have seen Splashtop in different Xoom app sections, always listed as a remote desktop software. As such, I didn't pay it much mind. However, I found someone in another forum talk about how good it is for streaming video over your local wifi network, so I thought I'd give it a shot. The results are actually quite fantastic, especially for a 5 dollar app. It does quite a good job as a remote desktop app, but it also transcodes video and audio to stream in very good quality to the Xoom. I have streamed 1080p movies, Netflix, etc, all to my Xoom with no delay or noticable drop in quality or video/audio sync. Note: this only works on your local WiFi network, but it's ideal for watching videos from your PC in bed. For five bucks, and no sub fees, I couldn't recommend this software more.

acegamer

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I tried this app out last night but it would not work on my computer. I could not get it to keep a connection. Don't know if I did something wrong or not but I couldn't resolve the problem. I even forwarded the port that the app uses in my router but that didn't solve it either. The Xoom would connect for a few seconds and then drop the connection.

anon(259366)

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
That's strange, I didn't have to forward any ports, and haven't had any issues maintaining a connection to the app. Just a couple of questions. Do you use a software firewall on your home PC? Also, are you running off an N router? In the end, it may be worth it to contact the dev.

acegamer

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
The only firewall on my PC is the one that comes built in with Windows 7. I checked and the splashtop program was one of the allowed programs in the list automatically. My router is not an N router either. I'll try contacting the dev for help. thanks for the suggestions.

Bossxii

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I use N wireless, have the Windows FW on and it auto setup, runs perfect. I've been using Splashtop for several months and worked flawless on both the iPad, iPad 2 and now the Xoom. Best RDP for local network streaming I"ve found. Also one of the few that actually streams audio as well.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Reactions: anon(259366)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davisongeorge