Something bit me BAD!

TJH132

May 5, 2010
Visit site
So I took the Xoom on a long weekend getaway and have come down with some troubles. Last night as I was trying to browse on the rather spotty hotel wifi, my Xoom became pretty unresponsive. I'd been using it without a reboot for three or four days, no troubles at all. So I shut it down for a few minutes and when it came back it was showing the infamous "Low on Storage" error.

The settings were showing applications using about 29 GIGS, the rest was media with only about 100megs remaining. Something wasn't right...

Having just gone through something identical on my DInc, I began emptying caches and clearing data. Still nothing fixed it. I tried coming here for help but the browser was nearly unsable. I did find mention of an app called 1Tap for clearing memory but each time I tried to dload it, the installation failed. In fact, no apps could be installed!

Finally this morning I did a full factory data reset. Extreme, I know, but effective. Now I'm trying to figure out what went wrong. I did install two off-market apps before leaving for the weekend: Thumb keyboard beta and Swiftkey beta. Any reports of problems of this sort? Immediately before the problems began, I was using the web Picasa interface to move pictures from one album to another.

Anyway, I'm getting my xoom back to normal, but I'm worried about this happening again.

TJH132

TDR

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Well if it's any consolation, I had the same thing happen to me. In my case the mediaserver process went berserk and dumped garbage until I rebooted it, though since you factory reset it it's difficult to say if it was the same problem with your Xoom ;) If you're rooted, you can clear out the dump files from /data/tombstones.

(The Gallery app and mediaserver process has been a root cause of much of my misery. If the Gallery so much as sees an unsupported video file it kills the mediaserver and screws up the volume.)

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Nothing like this has ever happened to me, I mean I have been unfortunate to have some random slow downs when I unlock the device, but no issues with memory. Yeah I think I have been pretty fortunate compared to others with the experience on my Xoom, never had to replace it. Back to the topic, it could be an app was messing around in the background, are you rooted? That could help.

Sent from my Xoom

TJH132

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Not rooted here. Mediaserver could be a hint to the problem; I had viewed an mp4, but not through the Gallery. It played alright. I'll keep an eye on this.

Happily I can reinstall the Thumb keyboard beta; it's so much improved over the paid version.

Thanks for the suggestions.

TJH

Jonno

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I'd been using it without a reboot for three or four days, no troubles at all. So I shut it down for a few minutes and when it came back it was showing the infamous "Low on Storage" error.

Having just gone through something identical on my DInc, I began emptying caches and clearing data. Still nothing fixed it.

TJH132

That part really scares me. I also have an HTC Incredible and experienced the low storage error. I've had to factory reset twice because of it. I hope I do not experience this on my Xoom. Thanks for the heads up.

TJH132

May 5, 2010
Visit site
That part really scares me. I also have an HTC Incredible and experienced the low storage error. I've had to factory reset twice because of it. I hope I do not experience this on my Xoom. Thanks for the heads up.

The morning the Low Memory warning appeared, I'd updated about seven or eight apps. I always will have some suspicion that it was a bad upgrade, but after doing some research here, I started emptying cache and data from the Applications Settings and eventually it went away. Others have reported the Facebook app (even when never used, like mine) could be the culprit.

As for the Xoom, once the memory was gobbled up, it couldn't get reclaimed (without root). I did do a full reset to get it back. It's been fine since.

TJH