Anyone use there Xoom for business use?

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
So whos using there Xoom for there business or professional use? What type of apps are you guys using? Just wondering how your making out with the Xoom for your everyday needs.

Has the Xoom replaced your laptop? Opinions please :)

bitsbite

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Getting close, but not there yet. Still trying to figure out how to get Power Point right. Tried a couple of different products but because I am using Office 2010 there are some major glitches. Just started working with Pocket Cloud and it seems pretty good for connecting to my laptop. I now use Touchdown for all my mail and contacts and like it better than the stock Xoom mail etc. Once this gets solved, my laptop will be my new desktop and Xoom will be my travel companion. It has virtually replaced everything except phone calls for my DINC.

realitydigg

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I am using it for business, but not office functions. I am using it to demo my product (WebApp) to show video testimonial etc. and to show some slides (simple stuff. Add email to the mix... I just finished a road trip where i brought it and my laptop. I used both, but probably could have found workarounds for most things i used my laptop for... I think better ppt support and an easy way to get that ppt on-screen (most people have VGA adapters) would make a big difference

Reactions: The Ironist IX

bitsbite

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
The other challenge that I have not figure out is GoToMeeting. Use it a lot whether at home office or on the road. No Mas for that.

Charisma#WN

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
works great but not for applications like quickbooks

I use powerpoint perfectly in front of customers while referencing a spreadsheet with 2500 items running at the same time. that is really great for 2-3 person use and viewing. Beats the game-oriented IPAD easily for business use. But cannot do quickbooks nor real photo editing. these are desk/lap thingies.
I use phonemypc with no problem because of wide screen (impossible on IPAD really) and can use quickbooks remotely.
But I am STAGGERED by the lack of SD card. Marketing STUPIDITY. No Nikon camera SD card exchange. No movies on chip. No communication, no redress, no nothing. I have stopped evangelizing, not because of the SD card itself, but because of the implied slow updates and no real concept of the customer. Motorola---get out in front of this one and change your support ways!

pnstalum

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
The other challenge that I have not figure out is GoToMeeting. Use it a lot whether at home office or on the road. No Mas for that.

I don't know if you have tried Fuze Meeting, they have a Honeycomb optimized app that works great, I use it quite a bit. You can schedule / initiate meetings; do video conferencing; and, upload documents / files to share. Works really nice.

I am using it more and more for business, but I really need to find a solution for taking notes. I would really like to take handwritten notes... still looking for a good solution. I've done presentations, some minor doc editing and of course email. Not quite a replacement, but getting close.

jmunster

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I use my Xoom a good bit for work and just got back from my first quick business trip without my laptop. Worked very well for email, scheduling and note taking with a little surfing on the side. It reasonably handles most office documents I have tried but haven't used it for presentations. And PocketCloud works great to get back to the VDI infrastructure at the office.

Reactions: Chmate

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Planning on typing out an essay, it's a fun way to type but sadly I make a large amount of mistakes, will have to get used to this soft keyboard (it's great but still not getting used to it, sorta how it took a while for me to get used to my Chromium Book's keyboard). Until then I can't relay on it too much. Espicially since there is no native support for Google cloud print on Google Docs or Quick office.

Sent from my Xoom

derekw68

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I have been using my Xoom for a few weeks now for work. First I bought a HDMI to vga converter box. I now can use my projector. I use Cisco WEB EX for all of my company meetings. I also have the keyboard and occasionally have had the stuck key, but not much. I use Quick Office HD. No complaints. I have the HDMI cable and I bought a coupler to extend HDMI cable and that has helped a lot. Company uses lotus notes and I have had no problem reading emails. But, my lotus notes is accesed by going to a RSVPN site. I can input my time and do all from xoom. That's all I can think of for now, except for using the navigation to get to where I am traveling to, while listening to music and the occasional Gtalk video call from wife, all from the car.

pnstalum

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I forgot to mention HDMI. All of our portable projectors at work have HDMI, you should see the looks I get when I walk in, plug my Xoom in and start a presentation or facilitate a PM session. It just works, truly plug and play! No adapters, bulky cables, or booting up for several minutes. Meanwhile, people with laptops are hooking up via vga and having to play with resolution or zooming on a browser... pretty funny.

mradlauer

Sep 2, 2010
www.clearcutaudio.com
I use a Telelprompter app and a Slate application for video production...I am an audio engineer and end up working with DSLR camera's with no Time Code, so slating a take with Time of Day makes logging and editing footage a lot easier...

The prompter app is great for some of the news stand ups when the talent cant remember their line...The screen is big enough that they can read their piece without a hitch..

I also plan on using it for its USB host functionality once I take the plunge and root my Xoom...I will use that so I can do file transfers from SD card camera's to portable hard drives to hand to the client...Hopefully its something I can actually make work...I'll report back once I get to that point.

Because of the field I work in, my X and my Xoom save me a lot of time in front of the computer at night...I can invoice my clients before I leave a shoot...check call sheets, schedule jobs with the calandar and sync to google etc...I've manage to integrate this in to all facets of my job...

I was gonna write it off anyway, I figured I might as well REALLY use it for work :)

STEMALO

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
You wont be able to replace the desktop but most of the meanial task can be completed on the Zoom which gives you more freedom of being able to do them anywhere...huge plus

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Planning on typing out an essay, it's a fun way to type but sadly I make a large amount of mistakes, will have to get used to this soft keyboard (it's great but still not getting used to it, sorta how it took a while for me to get used to my Chromium Book's keyboard). Until then I can't relay on it too much. Espicially since there is no native support for Google cloud print on Google Docs or Quick office.

Sent from my Xoom

Your thinking about typing an Essay on the Xoom? I know typing on it is wierd in my book to. Especially trying to 2 hand type. Do you guys have like a certain stand that you have for it? I got one of those cheap Neophrene cases on ebay that supposed to have a little bulky part in it, so when you lay your Xoom on it its supposed to prop it up so you can type better. Well its not really good at all. And the case is, well blah.

Anyone recommend a good cause or something that will prop it more in an upright position on the table so you can type on it? Im amazed how everyone is using the Xoom to do things with there business. Thats actually pretty cool. QuickOffice HD is sweet also. I also love the fact that 4shared.com has those APK files so you dont actually have to pay for them in the market. Some of them are a little bit to much.

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
My main reason to buy was easy access to work email, but I am not able to connect to my lotus notes based webmail, or the secured Ms based webmail of my other employer. I rarely carry my zoom now. Extremely disappointing. I waited too long to return it; kept thinking it was operator error. Took several weeks for me to learn direct from motor that it is 'not supported.'

Extremely disappointing. I wish I had understood that this is a web surfing and games device. I needed a tool for grownups.

Hope there's a fix at some point. I gather there will be a blackberry tab at some point and I guess I'll get that. In the meantime if anyone wants to buy my lightly used zoom...

derekw68

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
To make my lotus notes work, I had to call IT and they updated my webmail template to a linux template and mine works great. I work for a large DOD contractor.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12