I have to say, I love my Xoom but when I used the PlayBook... boy was it a breeze to type on it in landscape. Also the browser was smooth and flash felt smoother than on my Xoom, it was great but the lack of a lot of apps that should have been native is pretty sad. I liked the gesture controls ( contrary to what I previously thought, it is smooth and it is not as simple to register as I thought it would be). Anybody thinking about trading up after playing with another tablet? Whether it be the iPad 2 or the PlayBook, anyone thinking about cheating on your Xoom?

Sent from my Xoom
    04-26-2011 03:29 PM
    I played with an Playbook the other day and didn't like it at all. Could have been the demo unit was bad but I didn't have a good experience with it. The form factor is nice, I could see myself with a 7" tab for travel purposes but ill keep my xoom for home.
    04-26-2011 04:15 PM
    There's no way I would trade, mainly because of the size, but the OS they put on it would have really impress me to even consider.
    04-26-2011 04:32 PM
    My brother has the playbook. Great design, awesome screen and I like the running apps multi-tasking but the xoom is more fun, true the xoom has limited optimized apps but angry birds, stupid zombies, fruit ninja and CNN will hold me over until more apps are released.
    04-26-2011 04:40 PM
    Yeah all legitamite reasons, the biggest downside to the PlayBook is developer support, not as many apps as Android or iOS, so the iPad or Xoom would make better subsitutes. Still was pretty impressed which is something I never thought would happen.

Sent from my Xoom
    04-26-2011 07:03 PM
    IMO, if a company was going to make an uncustomizable screen, QNX is the way to go....if you cant customize homescreens why make me swipe across iOS' screens...it doesn't do anything for me. I like having different homescreens/widgets on android.

If you don't let me customize, then do it like QNX...simple.

Apps are a big deal...Xoom is already losing the "app war" in tablets to iOS (i don't mind the phone aps on the Xoom..they work fine), but the Google experience makes up for it. Playbook won't. When it gets "android" apps...depending on how it integrates the apps, I might get one to go along with the Xoom, but right now, the Xoom is still for me.

I loooove the form factor and multitasking abilities. However, I found it hard to type in landscape, and tablets have replaced my personal laptop (still got a work laptop)...so being able to actually type is bigger for me.
    04-26-2011 10:27 PM
    IMO, if a company was going to make an uncustomizable screen, QNX is the way to go....if you cant customize homescreens why make me swipe across iOS' screens...it doesn't do anything for me. I like having different homescreens/widgets on android.

If you don't let me customize, then do it like QNX...simple.

Apps are a big deal...Xoom is already losing the "app war" in tablets to iOS (i don't mind the phone aps on the Xoom..they work fine), but the Google experience makes up for it. Playbook won't. When it gets "android" apps...depending on how it integrates the apps, I might get one to go along with the Xoom, but right now, the Xoom is still for me.

I loooove the form factor and multitasking abilities. However, I found it hard to type in landscape, and tablets have replaced my personal laptop (still got a work laptop)...so being able to actually type is bigger for me.
    I dunno about you but typing on the PlayBook was actually the best experience ever, I typed everything right and precise with proper grammar and I even did it faster than on my Xoom.

Sent from my Xoom
    04-26-2011 10:58 PM
    I thought that typing on the Playbook was great as well. Currently I am using thumb keyboard on the xoom and still find it challenging to type on @ times.
    04-26-2011 11:11 PM
    I thought that typing on the Playbook was great as well. Currently I am using thumb keyboard on the xoom and still find it challenging to type on @ times.
    I agree with you, it is best if you want to use it without interupting the main experience of Honeycomb, but the Honeycomb keyboard is already very good.

Sent from my Xoom
    04-26-2011 11:53 PM
    wait, for you all saying typing on the playbook is good, you mean landscape or portrait typing? I don't know how you can fit both of your hands in landscape mode on the playbook. I tried and just felt awkward.
    04-27-2011 02:27 PM
    I type on landscape using the Xoom with both hands and I find it pretty weird but it works, so that's telling you something, I found typing on portrait and landscape as natural as a smartphone.

Sent from my Xoom
    04-27-2011 04:17 PM
    I type on landscape using the Xoom with both hands and I find it pretty weird but it works, so that's telling you something, I found typing on portrait and landscape as natural as a smartphone.

Sent from my Xoom
    RIght, so when you type in landscape with the playbook its thumb typing right?
    04-27-2011 06:24 PM
    The only thing I wish the Xoom had is the haptic feedback.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
    04-27-2011 06:40 PM
    The playbook looks nice but, I have the Xoom & the Ipad 2 and, I'm very satisfied now.
    04-27-2011 06:56 PM
    Just got my PlayBook (now sitting next to my WiFi Xoom). I gotta say, it's much more refined than Xoom.

Flash is killer! 1080p YouTube playback is smooth as butter (try 720p on Xoom, it'd be like slideshow).

And typing is a lot more manageable, both landscape and portrait.

And it'll have Android Player in the summer so you can install Android apps on it. Sweet!
    05-05-2011 04:51 PM
    My wife has a Xoom, because she has a DroidX and loves it. I use a Blackberry, but I was interested in a Xoom for myself too until I saw the display on the Playbook, it makes the Xoom look washed out. Apparently RIM is setting out to release a 10 inch Playbook. If they can somehow keep the brilliant display of the smaller Playbook I would consider getting one. I have gotten used to the 7 inch Playbook. It is definitely a work in progress. I needed a tablet for xls and doc files and the Playbook has a native program that should fully handle those files but it doesnt (yet). So its a nice comic book/email reader and a decent mobile broweser for now.
    05-08-2011 07:52 PM
    If you like the Android ecosystem but want a nicer display, check out the ASUS Eee Pad Transformer. It's pretty much the same as the Xoom spec-wise, but sports an IPS display.
    05-08-2011 09:39 PM
    For anyone impressed with the playbook, they should do themselves a favor and wait for the HP Touchpad to be released in a month or so.

A lot of the playbookís user functionality was cribbed from WebOS.

-Suntan
    05-09-2011 08:24 AM
    If I am going to cheat on my XOOM, it'll be with either the Samsung Galaxy 10.1 or the Asus Eee Pad Transformer. I have until the 24th to return my XOOM to Costco. I just really would like one of those 2 tablets to release on Verizon...or ANY carrier, for that matter.
    05-09-2011 08:30 AM
    I just like how RIM updates their product every two weeks since launch and we have one stinky one for a flash update. But i wont count Google out yet...
    05-09-2011 09:48 AM
    We have all the current flavors at our house, 2 Xooms, Ipad, Galaxy tab and now a Playbook. I have to say it is a nice little device and i sure wish I could trade my Xoom for it, (sometimes).

The display is killer, much better than the Xoom. The overall feel is great and the size is very nice too. I haven't tried running any video on it yet, maybe tonight. I'm a webos user, so the gestures are like second nature to me on the Playbook. It almost looks like they stole it from Palm.

The Xoom is better in my eyes becuase it has a Micro SD slot and it will eventually have 4g.

Sticking with the Xoom, but I'm sure tempted.

Rob
    05-09-2011 10:38 AM
    if Google ports thier GVoice, Gtalk with video, Gmail apps to the Playbook, i might switch.

Although I love the chrome bookmark integration with the Xoom...is there anything on the playbook that can do that?
    05-09-2011 12:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD