Have you seen some Apple fanboys?

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
This really applies for the Xoom, because I saw a thread on a Mac site, they said the Xoom is DOA etc, stating that the iPad is superior because it has more apps ( true but where is your flash? Oh wait you don't need flash for a camera? How about them websites needing flash? XD). Sure the iPad is superior in a lot of ways, for now. Android was still looking DOA when the G1 came out, for a lot of reasons the Xoom has right now. Anyways that is besides the point. I am trying to say that even I am tolerant of iPads etc. But the Apple fanboys insist that anything that doesn't have the bitten Apple on it is going to be crap... why is it that people who devote themselves to other platforms can be so tolerant of iOS but people who devote themselves to iS aren't? Thoughts?

Sent from my Xoom

Complex Pants

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
My Apple Fanboy boss called the Xoom very sexy and even said it was very customizable and can understand why that is very likable. I was amazed.

varsityhacker

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Every apple fanboy has gave the xoom high compliments once I let them play with it for a while. At the end of the day both os have strengths and weaknesses it's about what you need or like.

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Even some Android fans are saying the Xoom is half baked.

There must be some truth to it.

Heck I can name some fail points without even laying my eyes on it.

Viscott

May 23, 2010
www.viscott.com
I had a Xoom for a month and returned it. There is a lot to like, but it is half baked and lots of App crashes. I think it is too soon to pass judgment on the platform without the apps. But if you actually want to use it, then the reality is it's not a smart buy at $640.00. Multi-tasking and taskbar is great, but what?s the point for just a few apps?!

I was trying to use the Xoom as a replacement for apps I like to read on my EVO daily around my house but it falls very short. The only thing I liked that I used daily was Doggcatcher for my video podcasts to watch while working out. The Wi-Fi sync and all self-contained podcasting management was perfect, but after that the Xoom's lack off apps falls off a giant cliff.

MLB - Fail
Social Applications - Fail
Pulse - Crashes like Mad on Xoom and EVO -Fail

Have you used Flipboard and MLB At Bat 11 on an iPad 2?

Flipboard alone sells the iPad 2 for me. The iPad 2 is thinner and lighter with excellent battery life.

I don't see the point in paying $640 for a device based on hoping what I can do in the future. I want to enjoy it now. It reminds me of my OLD Palm Pre constantly waiting for new apps.

Sorry I will not suffer through some product that is not complete this time. Maybe I will try again at the end of the year with another tablet.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G on the Sprint NOW Network

erzhik

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand the arguments in terms of apps.. There are over 100 honeycomb optimized apps and many more that are not optimized but still work great. ipad has more apps because its been out a lot longer.

And I had Pulse on my xoom since they released it and it hasn't crashed once.

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I hate this phrase that everyone uses "Honeycomb optimized apps" go ahead and download an emulator that was meant for a phone, runs in full screen and runs flawlessly. You don't need "optimized apps" I use the native Twitter client for mobile phones, I am using Tapatalk right now, which is not "Honeycomb optimized" the Honeycomb platform isn't restricted to just using the apps optimized for Honeycomb, it is backwards compatible with a plethora of applications that have been prepped for Honeycomb. I use tons of mobile apps on my Xoom everyday and to be honest, it doesn't damper the experience. It's better than how Apple handled iPhone apps on the iPad, that was crap it looked like pixelated garbage.

Sent from my Xoom

ekz13

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I would have to say it's more of a "culture" thing, there are certain types of people, projecting a certain type of image that fit into that culture, much like with anything, cars, clothes, restaurants, etc. Certain types of Cultural groups will flock to a certain type of device and that is where they feel comfortable.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I had a Xoom for a month and returned it. There is a lot to like, but it is half baked and lots of App crashes. I think it is too soon to pass judgment on the platform without the apps. But if you actually want to use it, then the reality is it's not a smart buy at $640.00. Multi-tasking and taskbar is great, but what?s the point for just a few apps?!

I was trying to use the Xoom as a replacement for apps I like to read on my EVO daily around my house but it falls very short. The only thing I liked that I used daily was Doggcatcher for my video podcasts to watch while working out. The Wi-Fi sync and all self-contained podcasting management was perfect, but after that the Xoom's lack off apps falls off a giant cliff.

MLB - Fail
Social Applications - Fail
Pulse - Crashes like Mad on Xoom and EVO -Fail

Have you used Flipboard and MLB At Bat 11 on an iPad 2?

Flipboard alone sells the iPad 2 for me. The iPad 2 is thinner and lighter with excellent battery life.

I don't see the point in paying $640 for a device based on hoping what I can do in the future. I want to enjoy it now. It reminds me of my OLD Palm Pre constantly waiting for new apps.

Sorry I will not suffer through some product that is not complete this time. Maybe I will try again at the end of the year with another tablet.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G on the Sprint NOW Network

This sounds more app developer related as opposed to the Xoom or honeycomb itself.

It is the first product with honeycomb released so it will take some time for apps to be developed using the new version of the SDK. Not to mention the "fragmentation" that I'm seeing of "tablet" version apps, where an app developer makes a tablet version and a phone version, the honeycomb SDK allows for almost dual modes, where one apk can run properly on a tablet or phone version depending upon it's installed platform.

What we're seeing now with honeycomb are apps that are really the same phone app just with an updated resolution and UI changes. Outside of Google and a few other apps I'm not sure what has really been developed using all the new features of the honeycomb SDK.

What I'm pretty confident in, is that some newer developers who want to make money will start on the latest SDK and properly develop phone/tablet apps. I'm thinking this will fill a void where "old school" devs just re-tool existing apps and don't re-work them.

In the meantime, I think Google is allowing not really great apps to be listed in the market for android 3.0 connected devices just so people have things to use. Which is OK, as this is really a starting point, but I don't expect this to be the norm in 6 - 12 months. The fallout from this is getting an app that was made with the SDK for eclair to run on honeycomb, which may be OK, but you get a few of them going and a memory leak here or there or a call to a newly unsupported API, etc. and all of the sudden things start to break down. Not to mention the Tegra chip with honeycomb supports a ton of new direct hardware access APIs for better performance and only a handful of games really take advantage of this.

All that being said, the jump from Froyo/Gingerbread to Honeycomb covers a lot more than any jump between an old and new version of android that was previously released.

Google had to get in to the market, and Motorola hardware wise did a great job, it's not like you can go wrong partnering with VZW either. I think devs are most likely working on native 3.0 apps as I type this and with some patience, a honeycomb virtual machine update or two and some .99 purchases we should be well on our way to a superior tablet experience.

Personally, I don't have 90% of the problems I see on the forums, but I'm always interested in to learning what's going on with these things. In one hand I think an app aware end user is a plus, and removing poorly made or not yet ready apps will only help the overall Xoom experience, on the other hand there's a person who spent between $600 - $800 on a tablet and they want it to work with whatever apps they want. I think you can see the two user segments of the Xoom users pretty easily in the forums. I'm hoping Google gets a little more strict in their market (not Apple strict, just as far as really verifying the quality of an app on a platform before it's listed).

Going through all of this, is a challenge, especially trying to explain it to a "fan boy" of which I seem to know quite a few Apple lovers, and you know what, good for them. I'm happy they're happy and I'm happy that I'm happy with my Xoom, I like being on the bleeding edge, not because I want to see FC screens, but because of the transition I get to go through as this platform matures. It's really exciting. I hope some of the people that bought the Xoom and aren't that happy with it can appreciate the growth process for what it is, but I understand also,and am not personally insulted when people give the Xoom a little grief. I think Google deserves some for not releasing the SDK earlier and not keeping the developers in line a bit more.

Saying that, the "my ipad2 can do this and it just works" statements literally drive me insane, android is and has been a customizable, user centric experience. From what I read it seems a lot of people don't see the real power and potential of the Xoom, right now, it is what it is, but it's going places and going fast, iOS will always be iOS with the same restrictions, lack of features and customizations. Honeycomb and new app versions will hit the market soon enough and by the summer I think we'll really be in good shape as far as performance and these issues go. Then you'll have a platform that "just works" but is also highly configurable in every possible way.

rant off, sorry.

Viscott

May 23, 2010
www.viscott.com
As a website developer it is nice to see how websites look on the iPad. Unfortunately it?s something that cannot be ignored anymore.

I agree I hate the whole obnoxious Apple world. I can't tell you how many times they pissed me off with their blase attitude response to when could I buy an iPad. I found out that the best way to get one quickly was to make friends with their corporate sales people and go that route. That did change me experience completely and I got my iPad 2 in a few days.

Like I posted previously, beside wanting to do website testing for my business. The apps I like are not available or scale very poorly on Honeycomb. Look at MLB and Tweetdeck, it's sort of ridiculous how crappy the UI scales and always made me go back to my EVO.

Hey I am so as anti-Apple as you can get, but the reality is I have to test across multiple platforms and it would be nice to use a tablet for personal everyday stuff too and that?s where Honeycomb just does not do it for me yet.

I even owned a Zune (3 actually) talk about crap hardware and ****ty music selection in the Zune store.

I bought a 2010 ACURA MDX Technology edition last January and what do you know to take advantage of all the cool voice-activated technology that works with the car you need an iPod. So what do you do? After a while you just say F$#K it and switch back to an iPod to get the experience you want and paid for in a $45K vechicle.

Just giving an honest opinion based on MY needs.

Give me these app on an Android Tablet and I will be a happy camper!

MLB AT Bat 11
Flipboard
Doggcather
Time Warner Cable App

I think the point here is that Android is a great platform and Honeycomb will only get better with time just like the iPad. Ironically it?s the reverse of the Windows Mac Debate.

Anxiously awaiting the next round of apps and updates on Honeycomb!

Sent from my DELL XPS-730x i7 Extreme W7 SP1 X64

--Jon

strudel#AC

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I hate this phrase that everyone uses "Honeycomb optimized apps" go ahead and download an emulator that was meant for a phone, runs in full screen and runs flawlessly. You don't need "optimized apps" I use the native Twitter client for mobile phones, I am using Tapatalk right now, which is not "Honeycomb optimized" the Honeycomb platform isn't restricted to just using the apps optimized for Honeycomb, it is backwards compatible with a plethora of applications that have been prepped for Honeycomb. I use tons of mobile apps on my Xoom everyday and to be honest, it doesn't damper the experience. It's better than how Apple handled iPhone apps on the iPad, that was crap it looked like pixelated garbage.

So true... I download plenty of apps from the market that are not "Honeycomb optimized" that work just fine. Yes, there are a small percentage that don't work at all but I would guess that amount is in the single digits percentage-wise

freeky1

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I own two Macbook Pros and a Macbook. I love their computers. The hardware is so much more elegant than anything else. With that said I will never own another Apple device that requires iTunes. I just won't. Apple makes their portable devices so dependent on iTunes. I sold my iPad to buy my Xoom and feel like it's the best decision I ever made.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk