Just got a Xoom...Recommend Accessories to me!

Ozmodiar

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
As my Thread Title States...I just got a Motorola Xoom. and I'm looking for accessory recommendations.

1. A Case -

Since I bought from Costco, it came with the standard Motorola Gel Case...and while it's functional (insofar as it protects the back of the device), I would really like a case that has a built-in stand of some sort.

2. Screen Protector

Necessary, or no? If yes, what is recommended. I've always put InvisibleShields on my phones, but I'm open to suggestions (and hopefully something cheaper!)

3.Spare Charger(s)

I haven't done TOO much hunting around, but I would like to get a spare (travel) charger. Are there any decent aftermarket ones, or am I stuck paying $30 for the Stock Motorola one?

Thanks everyone!

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I only have a few accessories, but I love each one. For the case, I would recommend the Motorola portfolio case. Just make sure you take a dremel tool and knock the lower tabs off. You'll see what I mean once you have one.

I also use the Motorola Bluetooth Keyboard and the factory dock.

No screen protector for me, I'm not a fan.

Make sure you get Thumb Keyboard. Best app ever.

Welcome to the club...you'll love it.

enjoylife949

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
I got my WiFi Xoom at Costco and it came with a free gel backing. But I ended up getting the Motorola Portfolio Case and really like it. The Xoom is much easier to hold with that case installed and it also provides protection when it is not in use. My only complaint is that you cannot charge the Xoom with the case closed.

Live2ride883

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Portfolio case, and a car charger, a few good games are Leo's r/c simulator, and air control. I agree that thumb keyboard is a must have.

Make sure you load the amazon app store asap, they give away a paid app everyday.

Ozmodiar

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I'm very leery about the Motorola Portfolio case...I've heard lots of bad things. Part of me wants to just hold out for an Otterbox...but I don't want to spend $100 either...haha.

Do I really have nothing to worry about with regard to a screen protector? I have an old neoprene sleeve from my netbook that I'm using to tote my Xoom around in, so I'm leaning against getting one.

No cheaper place for accessories, eh?

And thanks for the mention about the Amazon Appstore, Live2ride...I've been using it since day one on my EVO. I actually grabbed today's app to use on my Xoom. :)

freeky1

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I've never been one to install screen protectors on my touch screen devices, but I put an Invisishield on the Xoom and love it.

Sent from my Etch A Sketch

Complex Pants

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
As far as cases go, I got one off of eBay for $10 and it has been great so far. It is a fake-leather portfolio case from China. It is very functional, feels great in the hand and protects the Xoom well.

No screen protection because the Xoom has gorilla glass.

I haven't tried any wireless keyboards yet, but I am eyeing the Motorola one.

As far as chargers go, check out monoprice.com. They are a cable wholesale site and who knows what you might find on there.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

sonofdroid

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
I use the leather sleeve case from targus, it's designed for the ipad 1 but the xoom fits perfect and adds great protection if you drop it. Comes in brown and the price dropped from 60.00 to 19.00 dollars at best buy. After a few times using it it breaks in nicely for the xoom. Btw how do you like your xoom?

Jonno

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
If you are using some type of case without a kick stand, then I recommend the Arkon Stand.

Also if you'd like to utilize drawing or art programs I recommend a capacitive stylus. Currently I use the inexpensive A Case stylus. I bought it to hold me over until the Wacom Bamboo stylus is available to ship. But honestly I'm impressed with good performance of the A Case stylus and would not mind using just that.

XzombieX66 noted in this thread that the Incipio cases are available. I would get one if I didn't already have the Motorola gel case. Up to you!

Reactions: Ozmodiar

peterochford

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Highly recommend the leather Motorola portfolio case that just came out; was lucky enough to snag one from a local Verizon store. Same style as the original portfolio case, but with soft tabs that won't harm your tablet plus a third viewing angle. You still have to take the case off or flip it open to charge, but given the build quality, I don't have an issue with that.

No screen protector here. Gorilla Glass takes a lot of effort to scratch, and easy enough to wipe down with a microfiber cloth.

siscim23

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Check out the ZooGue case as well. It's a portfolio case with genuine leather and a very nice stand.

I would also recommend getting an OTG cable for connecting peripherals.

Ozmodiar

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

I didn't realize that the Xoom had Gorilla Glass... so I'll be forgoing a screen protector. I've seen OG Droids take A Lot of abuse... and since my Xoom will never see a pocket, I'm even less worried about it.

As for a case, I think I might hold off and wait for the Otterbox. I've always loved their cases and I'm sure that this one will be no different.

I'll check out Monoprice for a charger.

I might pick up a dock and car charger at some point too.

What is an OTG cable?

Now... what are the best comic reader apps and best video playing apps? :-D

If you are using some type of case without a kick stand, then I recommend the Arkon Stand.

Also if you'd like to utilize drawing or art programs I recommend a capacitive stylus. Currently I use the inexpensive A Case stylus. I bought it to hold me over until the Wacom Bamboo stylus is available to ship. But honestly I'm impressed with good performance of the A Case stylus and would not mind using just that.

XzombieX66 noted in this thread that the Incipio cases are available. I would get one if I didn't already have the Motorola gel case. Up to you!

Thanks for this! I might get one of these cases instead of the Otterbox. Also, the folding stand looks useful as heck!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adelinachau53674