Desktop Version of websites with 3.1 update???

MarqBland

Oct 13, 2009
www.facebook.com
I just received my shiny new update this morning, but when web browsing, the "about:debug" method to switch to the desktop version doesn't work anymore. Does anyone have a remedy yet? I'll probably try the opera browser until there is a fix :-(

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Yeah but didnt that trick only work when your in the browser session for the only time your in it? You had to do it over and over is what I herd. Is that right? Thats a total waste of time. They should optimize that for websites to know that its not a mobile phone trying to open them up.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
the browser is still classified as a mobile phone. unless Google rebuild or makes serious changes then the debugg is your only choice and then that isn't truly a good browser so no HULU no netflix etc

andxoomy

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I use Dolphin HD. It always takes me to the desktop version of my favorite websites. I have it set up so flash content gets uploaded only if I want it. I like the book marks and how easy it is to sort them the way you like. It has this gestures feature as well. I do find it to be a bit slower than stock but not by much and since the last update to it the random crashes have been few and far in between. I won't switch back to stock until the desktop thing is resolved because I can't stand getting mobile sites.

PearlDriver

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
Work arround for about:debug...

Hello all, I just tried copy the text about:debug and paste in address bar and used the same steps as before and it worked. I agree thou the default mode should be Desktop browser..

JohnnyBlaze

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
about:debug still works for me and I only have to do it once a day, not for every session. It's a bit annoying but definitely not that bad.

LMO

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
I use Dolphin HD. It always takes me to the desktop version of my favorite websites. I have it set up so flash content gets uploaded only if I want it. I like the book marks and how easy it is to sort them the way you like. It has this gestures feature as well. I do find it to be a bit slower than stock but not by much and since the last update to it the random crashes have been few and far in between. I won't switch back to stock until the desktop thing is resolved because I can't stand getting mobile sites.

+1 to that!!!

mfriedman79

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Wouldn't the main cause if this issue be on web developers? Honeycomb uses 'Android' as it UAstring, and i thought phones use 'Android mobile'. Websites just need to adjust their classification just like they did with the iPad which uses adifferent user agent as well.

OK well scratch that comment. Looks like the UAstring is Android on both phones and the Xoom. The difference is the version specified.

user-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 3.1; en-us; Xoom Build/HMJ37) AppleWebKit/534.13 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Safari/534.13

user-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-us; SGH-I897 Build/GR22) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1

Last edited:

anon(194966)

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Instead of changing it to 'Desktop', I have found it better to change it to 'iPad' ... a good example is if you are a facebooker, the photos will show up in the old gallery format instead of the lightbox that is hard to control

chemgeek

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
After 3.1 the Colin ":" is not available when attempting to type in address bar. It is however available in text fields such as this one, just not from the address bar.

Actually, you can insert a colon in the address bar by doing a long-press on the slash "/" key. When you do a long-press on a key you get the little grayed-out character in the upper right corner of the key. You can also do a SHIFT-"/" to do the same thing.

I see that the keyboard has been "improved" in 3.1 when entering an address-bar text field, with a ".com" key, as well as moving some of the other keys around. Why did they do that? Many of the special characters are in completely different places on the address-bar keyboard compared to the text-entry keyboard. Weird.

Cheers.

LynnL

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
I third the motion on Dolphin HD. It lets you choose desktop or mobile for your user agent in the preferences. Also, if you are a LastPass premuim user, there is a plugin for the browser so you don't have to have the browser remember passwords.

PearlDriver

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
Actually, you can insert a colon in the address bar by doing a long-press on the slash "/" key. When you do a long-press on a key you get the little grayed-out character in the upper right corner of the key. You can also do a SHIFT-"/" to do the same thing.

I see that the keyboard has been "improved" in 3.1 when entering an address-bar text field, with a ".com" key, as well as moving some of the other keys around. Why did they do that? Many of the special characters are in completely different places on the address-bar keyboard compared to the text-entry keyboard. Weird.

Cheers.

Good Call.... I did not catch the movement of the Colin as the shift option to the forward slash.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463