Xbox 360 controller on Xoom?

Jonno

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Google had shown at the 2011 IO Keynote that an xbox 360 controller can be used on the Xoom as a USB peripheral. Anyone know how to get this working?

Live2ride883

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
You will need the USB host controller from Verizon/Motorola and a USB Xbox controller. I have seen a few people get cheaper ones from eBay or other sites with hit/miss results.

siscim23

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Look for a cable that specifically states OTG or host. If you go on ebay and search "micro host otg" almost every result will work. Downside is that they're all shipping from China, so it takes ~2 weeks to get here.

strider51

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I use it with Nesoid, Gensoid, and the Super Nintendo emulators. I ordered my USB OTG cable off of ebay. Just google "Micro USB Host OTG Cable for Toshiba C6-01 N810 N900 C7" and get it from seller hdmihome2010. I ordered it May 11th and got it May 16th. China to Nashville, TN in 5 days? Who the hell knows how, but I got mine and it's working flawlessly. I'm running Tiamat 1.4.2

strider51

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Are there any games out capable of using this yet? I imagine you have to map out inputs or something, no?

In all the emulators I've used, there's a mapping option under settings. pretty straightforward, you select the button, then you push the corresponding button on the controller.

Reactions: Jonno

Jonno

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
In all the emulators I've used, there's a mapping option under settings. pretty straightforward, you select the button, then you push the corresponding button on the controller.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I already have the OTG USB host adapter. But how do I get it working after plugging it in. I believe this mapping option answers my question. I will try it when I get home from work later. Thanks!

strider51

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, I should have been more specific. I already have the OTG USB host adapter. But how do I get it working after plugging it in. I believe this mapping option answers my question. I will try it when I get home from work later. Thanks!

I had the same question. I just plugged it up and it worked; no driver installation, input method enabling, or anything like that. I was pretty surprised too since they had problems at google I/O. You just have to map the buttons in each specific app you wish to use it in. Again though, I'm on the Tiamat kernel 1.4.2, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference vs. the official update/unrooted.

And, I saw a forum photo today of someone using a PS3 controller via the USB (not wireless). I know it wasn't possible to use that wirelessly because of some proprietary handshake that the PS3 controller has to make, but it appears you can use the wired connection. So when I get home, I'm going to check that out also to confirm. I hope it works because i prefer the ps3 controller much better.

I had initially been using the wii controller and the WiiMote controller app. It worked pretty good but I noticed there was a slight lag when you pressed a button. It really became apparent when I was trying to play Ninja Gaiden (NES). But with the wired Xbox controller, I have no lag. It's awesome.

Good luck!

strider51

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
And, I saw a forum photo today of someone using a PS3 controller via the USB (not wireless). I know it wasn't possible to use that wirelessly because of some proprietary handshake that the PS3 controller has to make, but it appears you can use the wired connection. So when I get home, I'm going to check that out also to confirm. I hope it works because i prefer the ps3 controller much better.

And to report back, I tried the PS3 controller with my Xoom, and it did, in fact, work. I was surprised. I think the response time with the PS3 is a little slower than the Xbox controller, but that might just be my imagination.

JohnnyBlaze

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I've seen people use the Wii controller with the Wii Classic controller attached. I personally do not like the XBox controllers and would much rather use the PS3 then the Wii classic.

alphanu22

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
2011-05-19_18-25-53_662.jpg

Confirmed - USB XBOX Controller works 100%

Reactions: Jonno

Chilli71

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
1) Can someone confirm if the XBox controlle works with the Xoom US Android 3.1.0 Version?
Or will I need customzed cernel?
2) I've got a USB host cable and attached a ordinary mouse to it, but the mouse LED did not turn on. Does it mean I've overseen something or does it proove that the there is no USB power supply over this cable (wrong cable?)

Regards
Chilli

siscim23

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
1) Can someone confirm if the XBox controlle works with the Xoom US Android 3.1.0 Version?
Or will I need customzed cernel?
2) I've got a USB host cable and attached a ordinary mouse to it, but the mouse LED did not turn on. Does it mean I've overseen something or does it proove that the there is no USB power supply over this cable (wrong cable?)

Regards
Chilli

I couldn't get my xbox controller to work, but I think it needs to be the wired controller, not the wireless one even with a cable.
If you have the right cable, the mouse should light up. I've tried my phone, a camera, a mouse, and two different keyboards. As soon as you plug something in, it works.

alphanu22

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
I couldn't get my xbox controller to work, but I think it needs to be the wired controller, not the wireless one even with a cable.
If you have the right cable, the mouse should light up. I've tried my phone, a camera, a mouse, and two different keyboards. As soon as you plug something in, it works.

yes it has to be a Actual USB Controller.
IIRC the PS3 USB Controller works also-