05-20-2011 09:58 PM
50 12
tools
    I have had a 3G Motorola XOOM on the 3GB/month contract since day one, and I requested a Google Music Beta invite within a couple hours of the site going live, yet I have received nothing.

This was all fine and dandy when I heard they were rolling them out to XOOM users because I figured, "Oh, I just wasn't in the first batch, they will roll keep rolling them out to XOOM users and I will get one." But now I've been reading on various websites that Joe Shmoe, who doesn't even own an android device is receiving invites, based on a seemingly random selection process.

This seems like a pretty BS way to go about things. Why not reward everyone that adopts your flagship honeycomb device before handing out invites to people who could own Blackberry's and use Mozilla Firefox. (no hate, but I personally use an Android phone and Google Chrome)

I was in this same situation a couple of years ago with Google Voice. I practically had to ***** myself out on the internet to get an invite. Apparently requesting an invitation early and with several email accounts doesn't do crap for your odds when it comes to Googles invitation only betas.

I dunno, obviously all of this is just a pointless rant, but it just pisses me off that Google doesn't cater to it's loyal users when it launches it's invitation only betas.

Anyone else in the same boat? Any thoughts?
    05-17-2011 10:27 PM
    I am in the same boat. Early adopter, had Xoom since day 1 etc etc.... Still nothing on the music Beta. Even when the report comes that they are rolling out to the masses...still nothing...
    05-18-2011 07:15 AM
    same here. 3G Xoom owner, requested invite as soon as site went live, and still no invite.
    05-18-2011 07:29 AM
    Anyone else in the same boat? Any thoughts?
    Right here!

Got my Xoom on day 2, have had android phones since they first came on the market, have used Google Docs since early on - same with Map, Earth, etc. I've also been using Chrome, and even made my Music Beta request from Chrome.

Yet, I too, seem to have been snubbed in my request for an invite. Google customer loyalty rewards add up to "0".

I fully expect to hear from some who just recently bought a Xoom as their first Android device, and who've never made much use of any Google services in the past, who will never-the-less have been preferenced in receiving invites.
    05-18-2011 08:51 AM
    It's a beta, not a loyalty rewards program.
    KJ, anon(49433) and MarqBland like this.
    05-18-2011 09:06 AM
    LOL. Well, maybe is should be!
    05-18-2011 10:23 AM
    LOL. Well, maybe is should be!
    I don't think it should be a loyalty program. If the purpose of the beta is to test out how well the project works in the broad market it should go to a rather diverse group of users.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
    05-18-2011 11:45 AM
    Yes, but...

Wouldn't it make more sense to have those more familiar with both Android powered devices and the Android OS do the "beta" testing. There would be a far greater probability that experienced users would seek to understand any problems that might arise, and even experiment to find "work-arounds" and report those.

If it's just passed out randomly, the chances increase that it will end up being "beta untested" by novices who either won't make much use of it, or who will quickly write it off altogether should a problem with it arise.

It's not a loyalty rewards program, but when the intention is to provide a service to some that others will presumably have to pay for, it's not unreasonable to expect that those who've demonstrated a longer-running interest and loyalty to their products should be given the preference over nubies. To do otherwise WILL tend to be seen as a slap in the face.

For those of us who've had long-running uses of Google products, Google has done a very good job of linking together all the various elements under our account names. They would therefore have a very good way to assess who is likely to be more motivated to give a full effort and honest appraisal of a beta product.

If the invites are actually going out to those who exhibit a greater association with Google than do I, then I'm satisfied with their choice of inviting those individual over me. If however, their just drawing names out of a hat (so to speak), it does seem to amount to a discernible lack of reciprocal loyalty to those who've been loyal to them.
    05-18-2011 11:56 AM
    I don't think it should be a loyalty program. If the purpose of the beta is to test out how well the project works in the broad market it should go to a rather diverse group of users.

What you suggest only makes sense if there is some pre-screening for those who are actually likely to try to use the product, to be able to understand what they are dealing with (in terms of the product), and who will be able to respond with intelligible observation.

Randomly selecting from the entire pool of users doesn't appear as the best way to get motivated and knowledgeable beta testers. They're just as likely to get "un-testers" who either don't actually use the product, or who will write it off quickly if there is any issue that arises.

Perhaps they were relying on the "opt in" approach to achieve a pre-screening. But, that it was widely announced, and little was required to request the invite, it didn't strike me as a proper "barrier" to those who were just requesting it because they sign up for every free "give-away" offered to them.
    05-18-2011 12:04 PM
    Double post
    05-18-2011 12:04 PM
    I received my invite yesterday.
    05-18-2011 12:09 PM
    I have a beta invite but tbh I am not sure if I am going to use it or not, I normally use the Sirius app on my DX or listen to the music I have stored on the DX memory card if I am at home. In my SUV I use my Sirius radio, I will probably put it on my DX since I get 3g included and my Xoom only has 1Gb on my Verizon data plan.

I went ahead and installed it, I also received a bunch of free tracks with it. So far I am impressed, no buffering/lag. I haven't added any of my songs yet from my portable HDD, but I will this weekend. The only issue i see so far is that on the Xoom it will not run in the back ground, if i am listeng to music and want to play a game the music stops playing. I think it would be nice if it would play in the background. I put it on my DX as well.
    05-18-2011 12:17 PM
    Finally got my invite via my primary account. Last week I got two invites, both of which are tied to my Xoom as well, but never got one thru my primary. Today I got one that didn't mention the Xoom and I also received a response from google.

Thanks for your interest in Music Beta by Google!

We're working on accommodating additional accounts for Xoom users, and
    I've made a note of your preferred email address.

We appreciate your patience.

Regards,
    Steve
    The Music Beta Team
    05-18-2011 05:22 PM
    Just got invite. I am a 3G Xoom owner, purchased first week of release (Dallas).

Hello Motorola XOOM user,

We'd like to tell you about some changes to the Music player on your tablet. The latest app update now supports Music Beta, a new service from Google. As a Verizon Motorola XOOM user, you’ve been extended an early invitation to beta test this service.

Music Beta lets you store your personal music collection online and access it instantly without the hassle of wires or syncing.
    Enjoy your music anywhere — listen on any web browser, your Motorola XOOM, or any other device running Android 2.2 or higher.
    Save your favorite albums, artists, and playlists on your smartphone or tablet so you can keep listening even when you're not connected.
    Create your own custom playlists or build them automatically from a single song.
    To get started, click the button below and sign in with your Google ID:

Uploading now...10 of 4,295 songs. Looks like an overnight job.
    05-18-2011 05:33 PM
    I just received my invite, addressed to XOOM user. So if you don't have an invite yet I'm sure its not far off
    05-18-2011 06:42 PM
    got mine few hours ago. Still trying to figure out how it works.
    05-18-2011 07:38 PM
    I have 3G zoom and my invite arrived at 6 this evening (EST). Playback is choppy at best while web browsing over wifi. Hopefully its not a xoom hardware related issue. Encountering the same issue on the thunderbolt. If not improved, could be a deal breaker. Certainly wouldn't pay for the feature as is, but it IS a beta.
    05-18-2011 08:02 PM
    I got my invite around 6 pm EST and I love the service! The streaming quality is top notch while surfing. I have close to 8,200 songs so it's going to be an overnight exercise. Its nice to know that there is no mentioning of a specific quota in GB but more so in # of files. The max is 20,000 files/songs. I wonder if there will be tiered plans similar to Amazon once the service comes out of BETA. We shall see. Another thing worth mentioning is that you can install the Music app on up to 8 different computers for syncing files and you can stream from any capable browser.

So far so good, kudos to Google.
    05-18-2011 11:02 PM
    I got an invite as well but I'm not sure if I'm going to bother using it since I already use Audiogalaxy to stream my music from home. Doesn't seem to be much point in uploading it all just to stream it from somewhere else.
    05-19-2011 07:37 AM
    got mine as well. will be uploading music tonight.
    05-19-2011 08:39 AM
    Google mine yesterday. Xoom registered email. 17000 songs uploading now. Worth mentioning that you can't download your music after uploading.

05-19-2011 09:34 AM
    I am in the same boat. Early adopter, had Xoom since day 1 etc etc.... Still nothing on the music Beta. Even when the report comes that they are rolling out to the masses...still nothing...
    I have two google accts, got the invite for both, and didnt request it. If i could give them out I would. I use subsonic to stream my music anywhere and will never even log into to google music.
    05-19-2011 09:48 AM
    Google mine yesterday. Xoom registered email. 17000 songs uploading now. Worth mentioning that you can't download your music after uploading.
    So if you can't download it, what good is it? I assume you have to stream it, meaning use data/wifi to stream ?

(sorry for questions, since I don't have my invite either...)
    05-19-2011 10:12 AM
    Well I got my invite and I'm on a wifi xoom and not even in the US. And I only signed up for an invite earlier this afternoon, using a proxy.

That must be a real kick in the teeth for anybody who's still waiting!
    05-19-2011 11:57 AM
    sounds like those who are waiting need to request another invite. maybe a different gmail acct? I requested today and got an invite within hours.
    05-19-2011 01:15 PM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD