I have tried to load the Netflix app on to my Xoom, unfortunately none have worked properly. Everything works fine except for streaming. Any luck any one?
    05-18-2011 06:04 PM
    nope, same boat, app works great for everything accept what I pay for, watching movies...
    05-18-2011 06:30 PM
    This is a pretty useless thread, not trying to be a ****** but the Netflix app can only be run on the authorized devices that Netflix listed on the app description (Nexus, Evo, G2, etc..) HOWEVER. There is a way to get it working on other devices. You must be rooted, though. By modding the build.prop file with some text it alters it so it acts or is detected as a G2 or (I THINK) Nexus. I wouldn't try this on my Xoom, because I will wait like every other consumer. You can Google this method but I take no responsibility if your device gets bricked.

Sent from my Dream
    slwerner likes this.
    05-18-2011 06:36 PM
    This is a pretty useless thread, not trying to be a ****** but the Netflix app can only be run on the authorized devices that Netflix listed on the app description (Nexus, Evo, G2, etc..) HOWEVER. There is a way to get it working on other devices. You must be rooted, though. By modding the build.prop file with some text it alters it so it acts or is detected as a G2 or (I THINK) Nexus. I wouldn't try this on my Xoom, because I will wait like every other consumer. You can Google this method but I take no responsibility if your device gets bricked.

Sent from my Dream
    Actually, I don't think this is a useless post. If you don't want to be a dou**e, don't reply to a thread and immediately deny being one. I'm reasonably sure you have nothing to worry about if the OP "bricks" his/her device thanks to your valuable direction. To the OP, I have this to offer... I have tried every version/combination of the Netflix apk and Flash apk including the file changes to "make Netflix think it's a Nexus S" and all were usless except one brief moment where the app FC"d instead of giving me the standard denial message. Don"t waste your time until something changes as I believe Netflix is pretty quick at plugging the holes. That said, we won"t have anything reliable and lasting unless Netflix wants us paying subscribers to have it.
    Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
    05-18-2011 08:08 PM
    Actually, I don't think this is a useless post. If you don't want to be a dou**e, don't reply to a thread and immediately deny being one. I'm reasonably sure you have nothing to worry about if the OP "bricks" his/her device thanks to your valuable direction. To the OP, I have this to offer... I have tried every version/combination of the Netflix apk and Flash apk including the file changes to "make Netflix think it's a Nexus S" and all were usless except one brief moment where the app FC"d instead of giving me the standard denial message. Don"t waste your time until something changes as I believe Netflix is pretty quick at plugging the holes. That said, we won"t have anything reliable and lasting unless Netflix wants us paying subscribers to have it.
    It would have been douchey of me if I just posted the obvious noob info and left him with no info, I was trying to be useful, if he actually visits Android central, Engadget, or Phandroid, you would know that there are some unofficial ways to get the Netflis app working on other devices. I wouldn't say it's a useless thread more of a "let me Google that for you" thread, which would have been douchey... lol

Sent from my Xoom
    05-18-2011 08:22 PM
    Have not seen it hacked up for the Xoom yet. Yes some phone have tricked Netflix with build prop edits like the Droid x. I just wish it was on my Xoom now.

05-18-2011 08:54 PM
    what are the devices that netflix can run on?
    05-18-2011 08:59 PM
    G2, Nexus one, Nexus S, Droid Incredible, Evo 4g

That's about it I think.

Sent from my Xoom
    05-18-2011 09:14 PM
    Why would Netflix do that??? That's just douchey of THEM! lol I mean, we are all paying customers no matter which phone/device we have. I hope they broaden their support very quickly!!!
    05-18-2011 10:03 PM
    Thanks for all the positive input.
    05-18-2011 10:03 PM
    A hacked version works on Droid line. X, pro and original Droid.

05-18-2011 10:06 PM
    A hacked version works on Droid line. X, pro and original Droid.

From what I understand, only on Gingerbread though. I was bummed out because my Droid X is still on Froyo, and I have no desire to update to the leaked GB. Guess I will have to wait. Oh well.
    05-18-2011 10:34 PM
    Why would Netflix do that??? That's just douchey of THEM! lol I mean, we are all paying customers no matter which phone/device we have. I hope they broaden their support very quickly!!!
    I am going to defend them and say that it's really not their fault, when you look at it, Linux never got Netflix and probably never will... it's all about the little sneaky pirates, they want to protect the content they are allowing you to stream to your device, but they don't feel comfortable with such an open platform. Also a lot devices stream content differently, HTC has a native sort of streaming client on Sense, maybe Touchwiz or Blur has the same thing and they all run the same version of Android but they all have heavy mods on them, which make them all different to the core, but the same at the same time. In this case though, it could just be that they want DRM to be in order to make sure their content is safe. On the other hands, not all devices can run the Netflix app even with the build.prop file modified to a Nexus S or G2.

Sent from my Xoom
    05-18-2011 10:39 PM
    I cancelled my Netflix account over 2 months ago in frustration of not being supported on Android or HC.

I sent a EECB to netflix executives telling them to STOP sending emails asking me to come back and I will not come back until they supported Android.

I got a response from a secretary of one of the execs asking me to have patience and they are working on it and it will be out soon enough. Also received 3 months of netflix credit!

I would suggest everyone do the same to get the attention of executives
    05-19-2011 12:13 AM
    A friend of mine has it working on my Droid X. Don't ask me how. I've rooted and flashed a ROM but I won't endeavor to go further.
    05-19-2011 08:44 AM
    A friend of mine has it working on my Droid X. Don't ask me how. I've rooted and flashed a ROM but I won't endeavor to go further.
    Works on my x also. Im on gingerbread and yes some roms for the X also support the netflix hack.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    05-19-2011 08:47 AM
    I cancelled my Netflix account over 2 months ago in frustration of not being supported on Android or HC.

I sent a EECB to netflix executives telling them to STOP sending emails asking me to come back and I will not come back until they supported Android.

I got a response from a secretary of one of the execs asking me to have patience and they are working on it and it will be out soon enough. Also received 3 months of netflix credit!

I would suggest everyone do the same to get the attention of executives
    Nah count me out, I love netflix, I could wait until my android devices are supported, I have plenty other non android devices that I use for the moment. Besides who else does it better then netflix right now?
    05-19-2011 09:54 AM
    From what I understand, only on Gingerbread though. I was bummed out because my Droid X is still on Froyo, and I have no desire to update to the leaked GB. Guess I will have to wait. Oh well.
    I actually have it working on my unrooted Droid X with Froyo. You just have to install the enabled device modified apk that is posted on xda somewhere. Works perfectly. Great on wifi
    05-19-2011 12:31 PM
    Nah count me out, I love netflix, I could wait until my android devices are supported, I have plenty other non android devices that I use for the moment. Besides who else does it better then netflix right now?
    I agree. I've got Netflix streaming to the TV. If I watch a movie on the phone/xoom I'm probably on a plane. I'm looking forward to movie rentals hitting the Wifi xoom.
    05-19-2011 01:15 PM
    It is, as I understand it, a matter of getting the processor in the device to play nice with the drm protection that netflix uses to keep Hollywood happy. If you look at the list of devices currently supported they are all running qualcomm chip and that is just where they started. I would suspect that was because don't all the iClone devices have qualcomm chip in them as well. So as they find ways to allow tegra chips to play nice with the protection they will add the Xoom.
    05-19-2011 01:23 PM
    I have a Netflix subscription -- love it on my Droid Incredible... can't wait to love it on my Xoom.

waiting...hoping...waiting...hoping...
    05-19-2011 04:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD