Do you feel let down by Motorola?

Do you think that Motorola has let down those who have purchased the Xoom?

• Total voters

JediJesus95

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
I said yes but the blame goes to Google and Verizon also. Someone needs to step up and give us a timeline on 4g upgrade and the sd card. From what I hear about the Bionic doesn't bode well for any tegra 2 owners getting 4G LTE. And If Asus can get the sd card to work so can Motorola.

I still have hope for Motorola but its getting less everyday.

Reactions: pauldroidr2d2

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I said yes but the blame goes to Google and Verizon also. Someone needs to step up and give us a timeline on 4g upgrade and the sd card. From what I hear about the Bionic doesn't bode well for any tegra 2 owners getting 4G LTE. And If Asus can get the sd card to work so can Motorola.

I still have hope for Motorola but its getting less everyday.
I think there is a timeline put out by Verizon. Since there are other devices with 4g LTE, I can't say that I'm understanding what the hold up is for Motorola.

Robotic420

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I don't feel let down at all. Although I do have the wifi Xoom. I feel this tablet is perfect for what I want it to do. And after playing with the Samsung 10.1...I really feel that the Xoom is the best tablet out right now

omarcastz

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Perhaps I don't feel let down because I bought it for what it was at the time, rather than for what it was going to be later on.

This little but powerful device has replaced my 15" laptop for many uses. I take it with me everywhere and I can already do so much with it for business/work use.

The amount of storage is still adequate for me (especially now that we have google music beta). Having the SD card slot would be nice but I did not buy it counting to have that from the beginning. It will be a nice upgrade when they eventually make it work.

Likewise with the 4G situation. I have a month to month 3G plan (the 3GB one) and for what i need it for, it is fast enough and convenient enough to allow for maps, e-mail, web browsing, music streaming and the casual video stream. Again, I bought it for what it was and it will be a nice upgrade when they finally enable 4G on the Xoom.

I can certainly imagine that those people who exclusively bought it for the future features would not be happy. I am not sweating it. I love this device, IOS devices are not an option for me (just a personal preference). I am using the heck out of it and has improved my productivity. The fact that this device will be upgradeable in the future is a bonus for me rather than the sole reason for me owning it.

It's all in the outlook. I do want Google/Verizon/Motorola to get the upgrades right. I have read that the hack for SD cards on other tablets (while functional) is less than optimal and ideal. Likewise, I have read that 4G devices really affect battery life. I want the Xoom to get both of these right and are willing to wait a little longer for Google/Verizon/Motorola to get these right.

tl:dr - I do not feel let down, I bought the Xoom for what it was at the time of purchase, not for what it could be down the line.

Reactions: Juicuy J

Live2ride883

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Perhaps I don't feel let down because I bought it for what it was at the time, rather than for what it was going to be later on.

This little but powerful device has replaced my 15" laptop for many uses. I take it with me everywhere and I can already do so much with it for business/work use.

The amount of storage is still adequate for me (especially now that we have google music beta). Having the SD card slot would be nice but I did not buy it counting to have that from the beginning. It will be a nice upgrade when they eventually make it work.

Likewise with the 4G situation. I have a month to month 3G plan (the 3GB one) and for what i need it for, it is fast enough and convenient enough to allow for maps, e-mail, web browsing, music streaming and the casual video stream. Again, I bought it for what it was and it will be a nice upgrade when they finally enable 4G on the Xoom.

I can certainly imagine that those people who exclusively bought it for the future features would not be happy. I am not sweating it. I love this device, IOS devices are not an option for me (just a personal preference). I am using the heck out of it and has improved my productivity. The fact that this device will be upgradeable in the future is a bonus for me rather than the sole reason for me owning it.

It's all in the outlook. I do want Google/Verizon/Motorola to get the upgrades right. I have read that the hack for SD cards on other tablets (while functional) is less than optimal and ideal. Likewise, I have read that 4G devices really affect battery life. I want the Xoom to get both of these right and are willing to wait a little longer for Google/Verizon/Motorola to get these right.

tl:dr - I do not feel let down, I bought the Xoom for what it was at the time of purchase, not for what it could be down the line.[/QUOTE

Well said, I couldn't agree more.

Vudumedic

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I do feel let down. I bought the Xoom knowing full well what its limitations were at that time. I knew that the 4g would be a while. I didn't know that the SD card wasn't functional but within the first hour of having mine out of the box, and I chose to keep it. However my disappointment comes in at that first hour I had mine, I was on the phone with Motorola and was promised a fix by the spring on both. I was assured that the it was only a matter of weeks before it all was operational. Now I can understand there are issues that come up, but you owe it to your consumers to at least give them a timeline on the promises you made to them. I'm not talking about vague things said by some telephone Rep who only knows what is put in front of them. I am talking what you advertised nationally. I know there is a chance that if they comes out that problems exist and it is going to be a while that it could hurt Motorola's bottom line. However isn't this same sort of BS that just about killed their phone devision beforehand the Droid came out? Shouldn't there have been some lessons learned there? While if they abandon the Xoom and all of us it may not kill them, unless I see some major improvement in how this is being handled I will never buy another Moto product again. But that is just my feelings and really probably doesn't amount to a hill of beans.

InfoSciGuy

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I do not feel let down.

As others have said of themselves here and elsewhere, I bought clear-eyed: knowing the state of the Xoom, the OS, the USB port, the micro SD card slot. All operating systems, truly, are 'works in progress'.

I do not feel let down because, believe it or not, these are still the early days....

Best wishes, all
InfoSciGuy

Last edited:

Xertion3

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I will only feel let down if xoom 2 emerges before this xoom gets all that is promised.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

freeky1

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I don't feel let down at all. I know Motorola will take care of us. I love my Xoom and I love my Droid X. Heck, my Droid X has Gingerbread, and the new Droid X2 is being sold with Froyo.

Sent from my Etch A Sketch

Reactions: NewAge

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
While I like he Xoom very much, I do feel let down a little. It's not that big of a deal right now but, if they never do these upgrades I'll be upset. I think it just depends on what your using it for.The Xoom or Ipad 2 cannot replace my laptop for what I do with my business, the Ipad 2 is close because of a specific app I use but, still not there yet.

The sd-card wasn't that big of a deal to me, it was the total storage you could get with adding the sd-card. If they had a made a 64GB Xoom I would be happy with that.

LTE is really nice when streaming HD video on the Xoom's screen (with my Myfi).

Super_Mario

Banned
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I don't feel let down as much as I am frustrated that there is no solid word on any updates. I spoke with a rep from Motorola last week and she stated that the SD card update will be OTA and soon, but that there was still a lot of testing being done with 4G so there was no time line. We shall see. I really like my Xoom and I knew what I was getting into, being an early adopter of a new device but I would really like some info.

kurttrail

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
The Xoom is the last Motorola device I'll ever buy, and I'm damn glad about it.

The Xoom is a work in progress.
The Bionic went back to the drawingboard.

The company is clearly having hardware design problems, yet wastes resources and time on Blur and locked bootloaders.

Motorola was on a downward slide until the Droid, and it seems that Motorola is back on the slide to me.

Sent from my Bolt

Lactose The Intolerant

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Not feeling let down... the Xoom is a beast. More and more of my life is being shifted there. Day 1 wifi-model purchase. Xoom does everything I need it to do and it still has POTENTIAL.

Reactions: KJ

slwerner

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

tl:dr - I do not feel let down, I bought the Xoom for what it was at the time of purchase, not for what it could be down the line.

I basically agree with what you (and others) are saying about the Xoom beingquite functional as is. I would even echo youin the desire to see them getting it right.

Still, I am bothered by the fact that Motorola hasn't been forth coming about their progress towards these two improvements. I'm happy with my Xoom, butI do want them to follow through and deliver on their obligations to us. That's why I chose to vote that I do feel let down. I certainly don't want Motor getting the idea that owners don't really care.

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I don't feel at all let down. Moto has supported the DroidX well past what I thought they would and I'm sure they will with the Xoom. The updates have been on par with the frequency I expected and brought features I never considered (BT mouse, USB otg) and yet I now use daily. Two updates in four months is pretty good IMO.

This is their first attempt at a tablet and its been getting better weekly thanks to the Dev community. This came out today: Boot Animation - Transmission frequencies compromised!

I can't wait for Android 4.0, or Honeycombs successor. I'm usually not very confident with a companies ability to keep devices older than six months up-to-date, but I am with Motorola. I see a long life with my Xoom and DroidX. And by a long life I mean two years. In the tech world the tablets and phones available by then will be pretty amazing, though so will the price.

Last edited:
Reactions: KJ

gonecks1

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I voted yes because for $600 I have no SD card, Netflix and hbogo app isn't supported yet. Could really care less about the 4g because I use wifi 95% of the time, tether thru my atrix the rest. You would think if they really wanted to compete with apple, they would be doing whatever it takes to get their apps out at the same time. Yahoo fantasy baseball isn't out for honeycomb yet and it was a month into the season before I could get it on the atrix. IPhone and I pad? Well before opening day.

slwerner

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I voted yes because for $600 I have no SD card, Netflix and hbogo app isn't supported yet. Could really care less about the 4g because I use wifi 95% of the time, tether thru my atrix the rest. You would think if they really wanted to compete with apple, they would be doing whatever it takes to get their apps out at the same time. Yahoo fantasy baseball isn't out for honeycomb yet and it was a month into the season before I could get it on the atrix. IPhone and I pad? Well before opening day.

As you tether through your Atrix, I take it that you have the WiFi-only model?

If so, all well and good until your carrier clamps down on such tethering, and/or demands you pay for a data plan for each device.

As far as the lack of apps, that's neither the fault of Motorola nor Verizon, that one's on the developers - who need to be convinced that there is an established and growing base of users for their products. Google is the entity that should be taking the lead on that issue. It seems that many existing iPad apps can be relatively easily ported to Honeycomb, if only there was a good reason to do so.

But, I do agree with you about the SD card issue. That one should be easy to remedy. Too bad it seems to be tied into the LTE hardware (somehow), and we won't get it until such time as both are ready to go.

gonecks1

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I didn't want to wait for the wifi only model so I bought the vzw 4g with no service from vzw. AT&T charges me $20/month to use the hotspot feature (and an extra 2gb of data) on the atrix so when I don't have wifi, I tether. I do love the Xoom but am getting sick of seeing a cool new app be released for Apple and not Android, or if it is released for Android, no Honeycomb support.

I guess the question is, is it just easier to get an app to work correctly with Apple, or are they paying these developers/companies extra cash to get their version of the app out first?

victorsin

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
as compared to other competitors like samsung galaxy tab, lg Optimus pad and bb playbook, xoom has got much more but i wont say its superior coz newly asus transformer is on terms with it and i feel it shouldn't be underestimated.:-X

As i mentioned above all other tabs mainly offers 10 inch display so display of motrola xoom has not overwhelmed me at all. Yes it do differs from other tablets with its android OS 3.0 honeycomb, primary and secondary camera, nvidia tegra 2 processor and mainly cost wise.:cool:

Last edited: