Any one using/recommending the Motorola Camera kit

slwerner

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Is anyone currently using the Motorola Camera connection kit, and if so, would you recommend it?

My daughter is ending me a new Nikon Coolpix P500 camera for Fathers's Day, and I'm curious about using my Xoom as a photo viewer while traveling. Thus, were I was previously not particularly interested in the recent ability (under 3.1) to act as a USB host, I now find myself very interested.

The kit itself appears to be simply a micro USB-to-USB connector. So, then, how does one go about utilizing it? What program has the ability to access the USB port for reading a connected device? Is it worth the $20, or do the less expensive micro USB-to-USB adapters work just as well?

atlsport

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I've got mine working and am planning on taking it on an upcoming trip for use like you descibe. Yeah, the 'kit' is just the small short cable. (the $20 cable)

Mine didn't work right away, I had to figure out (with help from this board and Best Buy) that my camera's usb output had to be set to PTB. Whatever that is. Once that was set on the camera, when I connect the cable, the gallery opens up and it views the pictures on the camera like a folder. I can go into that folder and select which pictures to import, it copies them to my Xoom.

I tried putting a thumb drive on to see if my Xoom would recognize it, but it doesn't (I'm not rooted or anything special). The thumb drive would be nice, but not crucial to me at this point.

I bought a $3 usb adaptor from Amazon and it doesn't recognize my camera.

Reactions: KJ and slwerner

siscim23

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
It is worth it, but you can also get a similar cable from ebay for about $5. Just search for micro OTG cable, almost every result will work. Downside is they're all from China, so it takes a week or two to get here.

Reactions: slwerner

slwerner

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
It is worth it, but you can also get a similar cable from ebay for about $5. Just search for micro OTG cable, almost every result will work. Downside is they're all from China, so it takes a week or two to get here.

Two weeks would be too long - but thank you for the info.

Do you know what applications can read connected devices?

slwerner

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Once that was set on the camera, when I connect the cable, the gallery opens up and it views the pictures on the camera like a folder. I can go into that folder and select which pictures to import, it copies them to my Xoom.

Is that the basic "Gallery" program pre-loaded on the Xoom? I've only used that app to view images, and hadn't seen an import feature available.

slwerner

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I bought the Eye-Fi Pro card for my D60 and love it! No cables to transport or hook up and almost instant syncing of pictures to my Xoom.

An interesting option. Having that functionality might well be worth the $99 pricetag. However, I'll be in places where there isn't any WiFi access, so it doesn't seem particularly useful for my shorter-term needs.Too bad they don't have a Bluetooth version.

jfer21

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone tried attaching a USB mouse to the kit? A review on Amazon for this product said it was possible. I'd want it for the camera aspect but it might be cool to be able to stick a mouse or other USB type things to it.

BigKrygowski

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
That is the beauty of the card. It creates it's own network when you are not in a wifi area and the xoom automatically finds it. It is definitely worth the 99 bucks. It will even auto erase depending on the amount of storage you set up as long as the pictures have been successfully been transferred.

xoomfan

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Is that the basic "Gallery" program pre-loaded on the Xoom? I've only used that app to view images, and hadn't seen an import feature available.
Yes, it uses the gallery app. When you plugin a camera a new album appears of what is on that camera. Within that album you fill find an 'import' option, which only appears when viewing the pics on the camera.
Used the gallery and USB connector for 5 days last week on a trip and imported about 600 pics. All worked great and much easier to review and discard on the bigger screen and then sync up to picasaweb.

Reactions: slwerner

KJ

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone tried attaching a USB mouse to the kit? A review on Amazon for this product said it was possible. I'd want it for the camera aspect but it might be cool to be able to stick a mouse or other USB type things to it.

I connected a usb mouse and it worked well... The only issue is that the port is on the bottom of the Xoom.

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Honestly I can tell you one thing, and that is that the Xoom's own design makes it impossible to use with stands. You can't even use the micro HDMI cable or even charge the thing.
Sent from my Xoom

slwerner

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Honestly I can tell you one thing, and that is that the Xoom's own design makes it impossible to use with stands. You can't even use the micro HDMI cable or even charge the thing.
Sent from my Xoom

It's a bit annoying, I'll agree. But, I just use my Xoom upside-down on a stand. Seems weird to do so, but it does work.

Some time back (a couple of weeks ago, I believe), there was some noise about some possible adaptation of the Atrix's keyboard dock for use with the Xoom.

My response was that I wasn't too concerned about an attachable keyboard, but would like to see some sort of multi-function dock which would allow for full-sized USB and HDMI ports, as well as an application which would allow for the Xoom to be backed up to an external drive (attached to the base).

Another option would be an elevated stand which would allow enough room below the Xoom to accommodate the cables.

slwerner

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
That is the beauty of the card. It creates it's own network when you are not in a wifi area and the xoom automatically finds it. It is definitely worth the 99 bucks. It will even auto erase depending on the amount of storage you set up as long as the pictures have been successfully been transferred.

This becomes more intriguing.

After checking out their "how It works" page (Direct Mode: instant uploads | Eye-Fi), I definitely considering it. I do think I'll pick-up the Motorola Camera Connect Kit as well (I can use it this coming weekend), and give it a try. But, long-term, the Eye-Fi would seem even more convenient to use.

Do you use a another app to get the Xoom to automatically accept files being sent to it?

slwerner

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Yes, it uses the gallery app. When you plugin a camera a new album appears of what is on that camera. Within that album you fill find an 'import' option, which only appears when viewing the pics on the camera.
Used the gallery and USB connector for 5 days last week on a trip and imported about 600 pics. All worked great and much easier to review and discard on the bigger screen and then sync up to picasaweb.

Sounds good. I'm planning to stop by the Verizon store this afternoon for one.

Hopefully, as functionality expands, it will also allow connectivity to other external media.

KJ

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
It's a bit annoying, I'll agree. But, I just use my Xoom upside-down on a stand. Seems weird to do so, but it does work.

The only issue with having it upside down is that when connected via hdmi it will reorient itself to the connectors being on the bottom.

Now that the Swype keyboard works on Honeycomb I don't see myself ever wanting to use a keyboard. I bought a small stylus and can now swype almost as quickly as I can type on a keyboard.

Vudumedic

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site

Works fine using the cord to connect USB mouse.

BigKrygowski

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
This becomes more intriguing.

After checking out their "how It works" page (Direct Mode: instant uploads | Eye-Fi), I definitely considering it. I do think I'll pick-up the Motorola Camera Connect Kit as well (I can use it this coming weekend), and give it a try. But, long-term, the Eye-Fi would seem even more convenient to use.

Do you use a another app to get the Xoom to automatically accept files being sent to it?
I just use the Eye Fi app that is free in the market. There is another 3rd party app that is suppose to be better.

mah817

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I've used my Logitech VX Revolution mouse with usb receiver and it works great. Occasionally the keyboard pops up when I first attach it though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21