Will a wireless adapter work on the Xoom?

freddofrog

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Here's a left field one.

The wifi signal is very poor in my room. My current laptop set up is using a wireless adapter on the end of a 5m usb cable with the adaptor just sticking out the door. This works fine.

Anyone know if I can do the same with the Xoom?

Cheers
ff

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Here's a left field one.

The wifi signal is very poor in my room. My current laptop set up is using a wireless adapter on the end of a 5m usb cable with the adaptor just sticking out the door. This works fine.

Anyone know if I can do the same with the Xoom?

Cheers
ff

I'd get an adapter for the micro usb on the device and then plug it in that way. That might work. Not sure, since I've never had a need to try something like that.

Live2ride883

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I doubt if it would work unless it came with drivers for honeycomb, you would probably get better results by extending the range of your wifi at home. You can do this by replacing the stock antenna on the back of the router (1.5 db) with a 3,6,9, or 12 db antenna. You can order these online I believe newegg and buy.com both carry them in stock.

You could also daisy chain another router to your current one, purchase another router and put it either closer to your room or in it then turb both routers off and run cat5 cable from port 1- 4 of your original router to the WAN Ethernet in port of your new router.

It may also be possible for you to just relocate your home router closer to your room or in it but I would need more information on how everything is set up in your home first.

I know that Verizon fios uses the router and data connection for the guide and video on demand programming. If you have Time Warner of Comcast relocating the router may not be as complicated.

Here is an antenna I found at newegg that might help you out.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e....aspx%3FItem%3DN82E16833995089&token=Mf0V--fG

Last edited:

anon(167668)

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Since it sounds like you're not using the wifi adapter that is likely built into your laptop, you could turn it into a wireless hotspot. If you have a Windows laptop, something like Connectify for Windows - Turn your Laptop or Smartphone into a Secure Wi-Fi Hotspot would suit you just fine. I use this with my laptop and Xoom when I'm staying in a hotel that only has wired internet access, and it works just fine. Plus, you won't have to purchase anything else.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay