Friend Me -- A tablet-optimized experience for Facebook

Chris Stewart

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
feature-600.png

Friend Me for Facebook offers a tablet-optimized experience for your favorite social network. Friend Me was designed and created exclusively for the Android Honeycomb platform.

Market Link (FREE): https://market.android.com/details?id=com.locomolabs.facebook

Features of Friend Me:

-- Interact with Facebook with an experience optimized for your Android tablet.
-- Submit status updates to post on your Facebook wall.
-- Read status updates from your friends in the News Feed.
-- Read comments and likes on status messages.
-- Contribute comments and likes on status messages.
-- Register multiple accounts on a single device.
-- Receive notifications from Facebook updates.
-- Pull to refresh support for the News tab.
-- Messages support for your private conversations.
-- Ability to view friend's profiles, their wall, and photo albums.
-- Take advantage of Facebook single sign-on if you have the official Facebook app instead. Otherwise, Friend Me will use the Facebook dialog authorization.
-- View shared photos, links, statuses, checkins, and more directly in the app. Selecting external links gives you the choice of viewing the website inside of Friend Me, with an option to view in the tablet's browser.
-- Access your profile information, your wall, and photo albums. Selecting a photo album lets you easily navigate through your photos.
-- See your Facebook friends, view their profile information, and access their wall.
-- A Photo tab for exploring your photo albums in an exciting way.
-- Friend Me offers a Games feature, which will let you play your favorite Facebook game inside of the app. Flash games work as well, thanks to the Android platform.

screen1-600.png

screen2-600.png

screen3-600.png

screen4-600.png

screen5-600.png

screen6-600.png

If you have any feature requests, questions, comments, need support, or want to provide feedback please email me at support@locomolabs.com. Stay up to date with all of the apps from Locomo Labs by visiting:

Web: http://locomolabs.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/locomolabs
Facebook: http://facebook.com/locomolabs

Last edited:

Chris Stewart

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Friend Me 1.1 is now available in the Market! It includes:

-- A cancel button on the status update screen.

-- Added comment/like support to the wall fragments on the Friends and Profile tabs. In either tab, click on a wall post and you'll see the screen shift to show the full detail. This lets you view comments/likes and contribute your own. Hit the back button and it will revert back to 3 columns.

Reactions: equus

Jonno

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Hi Chris. Great work. I'm already liking it over looking at FB in a browser. Here are some of my personal suggestions. The ones in red are features I would greatly appreciate in mobile form! Thanks!

Bugs:
  • Random FC while browsing newsfeed. Happens often when previewing photos in my galleries.
  • Browsing through my own photo galleries, the previewed photo sometimes appears in a low position below the viewable screen. I need to scroll down to see photo. Looks like unnecessary blank space above and below photo.
  • Sometimes pressing the "Games" tab produces a blank page

Feature Request:
  • Share a Link with photo preview or video player (weblink, Youtube video, Flickr photo). With Facebook app it's possible to do this with the Share feature, but it punts you to a mobile browser page to complete update. It would be nice to Share a web link or Youtube video and have a Friend Me option that goes to your app. And then proceeds to allow a photo preview. If it's a video like Youtube then it should post to your wall as embedded video.
  • Privacy Filters (allow you to choose who sees your update)
  • Friend lists
  • Ability to browse friends' photo galleries and tagged photos
  • Thumbnail gallery preview
  • Ability to swipe to next or previous photo.
  • Remember last position when switching apps in multitask bar. Or going Home and back.
  • See the complete list of people that Like your update or photo. Right now it says a few names and then "6 other people" for example.
  • When searching friends' profiles, add a field to type a name and perform auto search as you are typing.
  • An alternative to above, when scrolling through friends' profiles use the Android scroll that makes the scroll button thick and shows the letter.

Last edited:

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
At long last we get a solution! Hated the site. Now to get this on my Xoom when it comes back... Chris you are credit to Honeycomb movement :D

Sent from my Nexus S

snowxracer

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Bought a xoom today and tried this app. First thing I did was open a photo and it locked up my xoom. Did a hard reset and tried again. Locked up solid again. The interface looks great and I'm sure with a few tweaks it will be great.

Jtmorris

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Looks pretty good so far, but needs to have the news filter. Far too frustrating to scroll through pages of useless news. Bring on the updates!

forkball316

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Bought a xoom today and tried this app. First thing I did was open a photo and it locked up my xoom. Did a hard reset and tried again. Locked up solid again. The interface looks great and I'm sure with a few tweaks it will be great.
Getting a complete lockup when clicking on some photos. Otherwise great app.

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I have to make one big complaint about all your Honeycomb applications, they lack portrait support and even though the majority of all Honeycomb tablets are landscape based devices. It doesn't mean you should neglect to make the same amazing interface in portrait mode. In portrait mode the last column iw always cut off, so as feedback for all of your applications, please do that.

As to Friend Me specific comments, it's amazing but I would really like some notification support and chat support. Viewing photos was a bit slow and it didn't lock up my Xoom. Games tab is just a blank page for me and I would really like the ability to share using this application ( upload videos/photos) and even view videos embed onto it. All in all, it's better than Friendcaster because I know the dev will try and get it working, it wasn't to claim the title of first _____ app for Honeycomb it's actually an attempt at a proper Android tablet app. Thanks for the work will use to see bugs and see what else it needs to be as full and complete as the desktop application.

Sent from my Xoom

Nchaka

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I Can't get the games to load, all I get is a blank screen. It will be great to play facebook games on my Xoom. Also needs the option to remove/block game notifications from my newsfeed.

techdan00

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I Can't get the games to load, all I get is a blank screen. It will be great to play facebook games on my Xoom. Also needs the option to remove/block game notifications from my newsfeed.

I can get some of my fbook games to play in the browser looking at the desktop view (Galaxy online II and back yard monsters)

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Alright, I would really like to click on links that posted on comments and same, would like to download images via this app.

Sent from my Xoom

jmunster

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Looking good so far! One bug found: some objects aren't showing up in my timeline as compared to what I see on the FB website.

Thanks and keep up the great work!

Chris Stewart

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
*** NOTE -- July 2, 2011 -- The other night Friend Me was suspended from the Android Market because Facebook asked Google to remove it, citing the "f" in our application icon looks too similar to their trademark. I've worked with Facebook to change this, have gotten those changes approved by Facebook, and now I'm currently waiting for Google to reinstate the application on the Android Market. I hope for this to be fully resolved early this week.

Until then, you'll get region errors while trying to install the application. Unfortunately there's nothing I can do to actually remove the app from the Market, or adjust the description to warn anyone of the situation. If you'd like to test the Friend Me 1.2 beta, which has been approved by Facebook and is currently waiting for Google, you can download it here: http://www.locomolabs.com/beta/friendme-1.2/FriendMe.apk

Last edited:

equus

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
*** NOTE -- July 2, 2011 -- The other night Friend Me was suspended from the Android Market because Facebook asked Google to remove it, citing the "f" in our application icon looks too similar to their trademark. I've worked with Facebook to change this, have gotten those changes approved by Facebook, and now I'm currently waiting for Google to reinstate the application on the Android Market. I hope for this to be fully resolved early this week.

Until then, you'll get region errors while trying to install the application. Unfortunately there's nothing I can do to actually remove the app from the Market, or adjust the description to warn anyone of the situation. If you'd like to test the Friend Me 1.2 beta, which has been approved by Facebook and is currently waiting for Google, you can download it here: http://www.locomolabs.com/beta/friendme-1.2/FriendMe.apk

THANK YOU Chris. I downloaded the beta file and it is working now :cool:. Hope you can get that issue resolved soon !.:(

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kthompson9705kt