[REVIEW][ROM]Team Tiamat Xoom Rom 1.0 ?Welcome to Win!?

legacy23

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
I've done my best at a review, and here's the result. Also here's a link to the site in case you want higher res screenshots or see any of my other work. LINK

The Motorola XOOM, it's the original Honeycomb tablet and, to me, still the best. But that's a discussion for another day. Today I'll be giving the first ROM for the Xoom a thorough walk-through. It's Team Tiamat's Xoom ROM 1.0, some of the features include Tiamat's kernel version 1.4.4 with the cpu clocked at a staggering 1.7Ghz, Desktop UA string and CRT Screen Off Animations.

First off since Google hasn't released Honeycomb's code (yet?) you won't see anything too extreme in this ROM outside of the overclock, which if you missed it before is at a whopping 1.7Ghz per core, (and there's two of them...lol). As far as the installion goes it's pretty straight forward you can head over to XDA for the full instructions. But all you have to do is make sure you're rooted, unlocked and have CWM installed, you can then grab all the necessary files and flash as you would any other ROM.

screenshot_home-300x187.png

One feature included in this ROM that I love is the battery percentage in the notification bar, which you can see in the screenshot above. (By the way shout out to Fahrbot Mobile for making Screenshot ER which is the app I use to take all of the screenshots you see here) For those not familiar with Tiamat's kernel I want you to know that it does more than just turn your Xoom into a speed demon. It also adds SD card support, no thanks to guys at Moto, the ability to overclock the GPU, USB tethering and USB mass storage mode. The ROM also supports themes, like the one I have (BigDX Xoom|Zoom Theme).

screen_20110615_1750-300x187.png

Outside of the changes I mentioned above the ROM is pretty straightforward, it doesn't add too many additional apps only Quickboot, Estrongs File Explorer, and the Flash Player that allows you to watch Hulu. Other than that it's completely deodexed, zip aligned and adds the cool CRT Screen Off Animation thats found on the Nexus S. The Desktop UA string mod which allows you to see full sites instead of mobile in the stock browser and lastly it's got USB Mass Storage enabled so you can plug USB flash drives into your Xoom.

screen_20110617_1349-300x187.png

Now I want to give you my personal opinion on a few things about this ROM, one is that the battery life is phenomenal. I didn't think the Xoom's battery life could get any better but alas it did and I couldn't be happier. I also love how fast and smooth it is, BRD has taken a good thing and made it even better, launching apps and swiping from screen to screen is near instant. All in all, if you've got Honeycomb v3.1 installed on your Xoom this is the ROM to try, it's fast, has rock solid stability and excellent battery life. Team Tiamat's Xoom ROM has some great features included and makes an already stellar device that much better.

screen_20110617_1403-300x187.png

K guys that's my review, any feedback is appreciated. Also if you have any questions about the ROM feel free to ask and I'll try to answer for you guys.

Reactions: Jonno and andxoomy

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Any downsides? Have you noticed anything not working, that worked before?

What about the overclock... is it adjustable? Can you throttle it? 1.7x seems like pushing it. What about 1.5x?

legacy23

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
Any downsides? Have you noticed anything not working, that worked before?

What about the overclock... is it adjustable? Can you throttle it? 1.7x seems like pushing it. What about 1.5x?

So far I haven't come across anything that worked before, that doesn't work now so I can't think of any downsides. The overclock can be adjusted, I'm using setcpu and I actually leave it at the stock 1ghz frequency. If you want to clock it to 1.5 you can do that as well, but even at 1ghz my Xoom is running circles around my two friends who aren't running the ROM.

Arun01

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I may soon be rooting my xoom as I have never rooted anything..too scared I might wind up with a paperweight but the lack of SD card support has got me looking into rooting.Plus the ability over clock has intrigued me.

Last edited:

legacy23

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
I may soon be rooting my xoom as I have never rooted anything..too scared I might wind up with a paperweight but the lack of SD card support has got me looking into rooting.Plus the ability over clock has intrigued me.

I would say read, read, read. The Xoom isn't the most difficult device to root but it isn't the easiest either. I would stay away from one-click methods because you won't learn anything and learning adb and fastboot commands will come in handy. As long you set up adb correctly and follow the directions you should be ok. If it's any comfort I think it's pretty hard to brick the Xoom. :cool:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc