Screen Issue - Distortion/Ripple

Do you have screen distortion?

• Total voters

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Do any of you have a screen ripple or distortion when using your Xoom?

I've had two Xooms, one had some distortion if I was sliding my finger around the middle of the screen, you could see the glass press against the LCD and display a kind of bubble/ripple underneath it towards the top left of the screen.

On my replacement Xoom, the same issue appears towards the right of screen, right around where the lock icon is on the lock screen.

Here's a youtube of what I'm experiencing: YouTube - ‪XOOM Screen ripples/distortion‬‏ (though mine is on a smaller scale).

I'm not pressing down with any extraordinary pressure, but I'm having a heck of time getting in touch with anyone at Motorola or Verizon who actually wants to a) look in to the issue b) assure me they can QA a replacement before they send it out to me (they sent me a replacement with the same exact issue) c) can possibly cross ship a replacement to me (while authorizing my card for a new purchase and just cancelling it when they receive the old Xoom).

I've had a heck of a time getting anything from Moto through their forums (my thread there: https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/52578?start=0&tstart=0 ) Their tech support over the phone has been horrible, as in my 9 phone calls to them all they want to do is send me a fedex box to send mine in for another replacement. I went down this path before and since they don't check their new units I want to get in touch with someone who can verify my replacement is free of issues before sending this thing out again.

I called and asked Verizon if I could pick a new one out at a store and they could just handle the warranty exchange with Moto, after several attempts I've been told that Moto set the terms here and all Xooms must be returned through them.

I expect a bit more courtesy in dealing with a problem on a device of this caliber.

If anyone has any contact info for someone at VZW or Moto who can help, that'd be great.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
That sucks, I haven't had any hardware issues with the Xoom at all. After reading all these threads over the past months, I'm not sure I'll buy another Motorola tablet again.

siscim23

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I've seen that bubble but only when pressing really hard on the screen. But this was not the kind of pressure ANYONE could apply while using it, I had to really press hard.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I understand things have problems, ya know that's just the nature of the beast. What bothers me the most is dealing with their support and lack of QA standards.

I will not be buying a Moto device again either. I don't mind spending the money on gadgets, it's what I do. I don't mind early adopter bugs or glitches with new hardware.

But we're talking about a touch screen and customer service here, and so far my experience has been brutal.

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
I understand things have problems, ya know that's just the nature of the beast. What bothers me the most is dealing with their support and lack of QA standards.

I will not be buying a Moto device again either. I don't mind spending the money on gadgets, it's what I do. I don't mind early adopter bugs or glitches with new hardware.

But we're talking about a touch screen and customer service here, and so far my experience has been brutal.
I had the same issue with the first Xoom I purchased. I took it into Verizon and they gladly replaced it for me although it was within the first 30 days from the purchase date. Try taking it in to Verizon and see what they do. Sometimes that is much better than attempting over the phone. Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gofuckyourselfandroid