Looking for general guidance on phones and OS

SimmoMaz

May 26, 2020
Visit site
Hi,

I'm Simon from London UK and was, for my sins, an Apple user for many, many years.

I wanted to move to a more ethical phone and OS so opted for the Fairphone 2 with OpenOS (as I am doing everything to minimise or completely remove ALL Google elements where possible). About 4 months ago I moved over to LineageOS.

I have learnt a lot over this time but the main issue I've had is with the phone itself: modules failing, poor build quality, glitching screen etc. and whilst parts are replaced under warranty I invariably get the same issues again.

I am looking for a refurb/2nd hand Android phone with a decent camera and good storage. I guess all Android phones are rootable?

My, hopefully, simple request is what are the better phones to look at and what is the best OS to go for?

Thank you

S

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
Hi there. A good second-hand android would be a moto g6 series phone. It is fairly stock android, works on all UK networks and should be around or under £100. Other good phones are the Samsung A series like the A50 and A51. The good thing with Samsung is that they have their own apps so you can avoid using the Google versions.

I would have recommended the Pixel 3a but it is a Google phone so avoid that one. Some Huawei phones and Honor phones are ok. The brand new flagships and Honor phones don't have google services and it has its own app store so you don't need Google Play for apps. But they are probably outside your budget. You can get a Samsung Galaxy S8 for around £100. That phone is about 3 years old now but it was a flagship and has excellent hardware. So it is still a good buy.

Let me know what you decide.

SimmoMaz

May 26, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for this. Was interested in the Honor but see they are owned by Huawei so that will be a no-no for me.
Galaxy S8 looks decent so will investigate more.

Will let you know how it goes.

Thanks

s

SimmoMaz

May 26, 2020
Visit site
Having a quick look, is it right the OnePlus phones don't have a 3.5mm headphone jack? Can't see any mention of it - as a musician I need to be able to plug my headphones in

SimmoMaz

May 26, 2020
Visit site
Having a quick look, is it right the OnePlus phones don't have a 3.5mm headphone jack? Can't see any mention of it - as a musician I need to be able to plug my headphones in

OK, found info - seems you need to use a USB-C to 3.5mm convertor to use headphones

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for this. Was interested in the Honor but see they are owned by Huawei so that will be a no-no for me.
Galaxy S8 looks decent so will investigate more.

Will let you know how it goes.

Thanks

s

Welcome to Android Central! Yes, Honor is a very attractive brand - I had an Honor 8 a few years ago. However, I agree with you that steering clear is a good choice for now! Unfortunate as it may be!

I too think OnePlus devices would be a good choice. They're as close to stock Android as they come; they're more affoedable; and I am pretty sure they get quick and timely software updates.

Let us know what you decide!

SimmoMaz

May 26, 2020
Visit site
Thanks everyone, I went for the 6T and should get it in a day or two. Reviews were good and I felt it suited my needs better than the Samsung

Thanks for all the help and advice, will look at joining the community and see where I go from there.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks everyone, I went for the 6T and should get it in a day or two. Reviews were good and I felt it suited my needs better than the Samsung

Thanks for all the help and advice, will look at joining the community and see where I go from there.

What an excellent phone choice! I'm sure it'll serve you well! Let us know when it arrives and how you are liking your new 6T! And again, welcome! :)

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

Excellent. Keep us posted and let us know if you need any help. Enjoy your new toy. :)

SimmoMaz

May 26, 2020
Visit site
This is just an example of LineageOS for the 6T. OnePlus phones are very easy to root and the community is huge and very active with new stuff popping up every week :)

https://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-6t/development/rom-lineageos-17-0-t3967254/page115

Quick question, I believe the OnePlus uses Oxygen with Google Services on it so I will be ditching that ASAP.
Can I set up the phone without a Google account to get things up and running then move over to LineageOS?

SimmoMaz

May 26, 2020
Visit site
Quick question, I believe the OnePlus uses Oxygen with Google Services on it so I will be ditching that ASAP.
Can I set up the phone without a Google account to get things up and running then move over to LineageOS?

I appreciate I need to get into the phone first to enable dev, root etc. so the simple question is can I bypass the need to put in Google details

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I appreciate I need to get into the phone first to enable dev, root etc. so the simple question is can I bypass the need to put in Google details
I don't think so but I've never tried such a thing. My bet is that you need to start as it is and then root and go through the whole flashing process.

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
You can basically de-Google any Android phone by not using it with a Google account and by disabling/uninstalling all Google apps on it, as well as Google Play services.

I personally wouldn't do it because I'm too dependent on their seamless syncing of contacts, calendar, notes, sms/calls and I like having "Find my device" feature.

But it is an option to those that want a pretty much Google-free Android device.

There were lots of talk about that in the CrackBerry forums actually