06-04-2020 09:45 AM
42 12
tools
    Hi,

I'm Simon from London UK and was, for my sins, an Apple user for many, many years.

I wanted to move to a more ethical phone and OS so opted for the Fairphone 2 with OpenOS (as I am doing everything to minimise or completely remove ALL Google elements where possible). About 4 months ago I moved over to LineageOS.

I have learnt a lot over this time but the main issue I've had is with the phone itself: modules failing, poor build quality, glitching screen etc. and whilst parts are replaced under warranty I invariably get the same issues again.

I am looking for a refurb/2nd hand Android phone with a decent camera and good storage. I guess all Android phones are rootable?

My, hopefully, simple request is what are the better phones to look at and what is the best OS to go for?

Thank you

S
    Morty2264 likes this.
    05-26-2020 09:03 AM
    Hi there. A good second-hand android would be a moto g6 series phone. It is fairly stock android, works on all UK networks and should be around or under £100. Other good phones are the Samsung A series like the A50 and A51. The good thing with Samsung is that they have their own apps so you can avoid using the Google versions.

I would have recommended the Pixel 3a but it is a Google phone so avoid that one. Some Huawei phones and Honor phones are ok. The brand new flagships and Honor phones don't have google services and it has its own app store so you don't need Google Play for apps. But they are probably outside your budget. You can get a Samsung Galaxy S8 for around £100. That phone is about 3 years old now but it was a flagship and has excellent hardware. So it is still a good buy.

Let me know what you decide.
    05-26-2020 10:03 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! OnePlus phones would probably be a good choice as well.
    SimmoMaz and JHStewart1023 like this.
    05-26-2020 12:13 PM
    Welcome to the forums. Take a look at the OnePlus 6T, still a very good phone.
    SimmoMaz likes this.
    05-26-2020 12:39 PM
    This is just an example of LineageOS for the 6T. OnePlus phones are very easy to root and the community is huge and very active with new stuff popping up every week

https://forum.xda-developers.com/one...967254/page115
    05-26-2020 12:45 PM
    Thanks for this. Was interested in the Honor but see they are owned by Huawei so that will be a no-no for me.
    Galaxy S8 looks decent so will investigate more.

Will let you know how it goes.

Thanks

s
    Morty2264 likes this.
    05-27-2020 08:43 AM
    Having a quick look, is it right the OnePlus phones don't have a 3.5mm headphone jack? Can't see any mention of it - as a musician I need to be able to plug my headphones in
    05-27-2020 09:01 AM
    Having a quick look, is it right the OnePlus phones don't have a 3.5mm headphone jack? Can't see any mention of it - as a musician I need to be able to plug my headphones in
    OK, found info - seems you need to use a USB-C to 3.5mm convertor to use headphones
    05-27-2020 09:12 AM
    OK, found info - seems you need to use a USB-C to 3.5mm convertor to use headphones
    Yes, that's what I use. Cheap and easy.

When looking at Samsung devices make sure that root is easy or even possible.
    SimmoMaz likes this.
    05-27-2020 09:16 AM
    I have been looking at the OnePlus, they look nice!
    05-27-2020 09:45 AM
    Thanks for this. Was interested in the Honor but see they are owned by Huawei so that will be a no-no for me.
    Galaxy S8 looks decent so will investigate more.

Will let you know how it goes.

Thanks

s
    Welcome to Android Central! Yes, Honor is a very attractive brand - I had an Honor 8 a few years ago. However, I agree with you that steering clear is a good choice for now! Unfortunate as it may be!

I too think OnePlus devices would be a good choice. They're as close to stock Android as they come; they're more affoedable; and I am pretty sure they get quick and timely software updates.

Let us know what you decide!
    SimmoMaz likes this.
    05-27-2020 10:28 AM
    Thanks everyone, I went for the 6T and should get it in a day or two. Reviews were good and I felt it suited my needs better than the Samsung

Thanks for all the help and advice, will look at joining the community and see where I go from there.
    Javier P, Morty2264 and B. Diddy like this.
    05-28-2020 02:15 AM
    Thanks everyone, I went for the 6T and should get it in a day or two. Reviews were good and I felt it suited my needs better than the Samsung

Thanks for all the help and advice, will look at joining the community and see where I go from there.
    What an excellent phone choice! I'm sure it'll serve you well! Let us know when it arrives and how you are liking your new 6T! And again, welcome!
    SimmoMaz likes this.
    05-28-2020 08:12 AM

Excellent. Keep us posted and let us know if you need any help. Enjoy your new toy.
    SimmoMaz and Morty2264 like this.
    05-28-2020 08:26 AM
    Thanks, arrived already and on charge - can't wait to get started
    Morty2264 likes this.
    05-28-2020 09:02 AM
    Thanks, arrived already and on charge - can't wait to get started
    A brand new update will be waiting for you as soon as you fire it.
    SimmoMaz and Morty2264 like this.
    05-28-2020 09:23 AM
    This is just an example of LineageOS for the 6T. OnePlus phones are very easy to root and the community is huge and very active with new stuff popping up every week

https://forum.xda-developers.com/one...967254/page115

Quick question, I believe the OnePlus uses Oxygen with Google Services on it so I will be ditching that ASAP.
    Can I set up the phone without a Google account to get things up and running then move over to LineageOS?
    05-28-2020 09:31 AM
    Quick question, I believe the OnePlus uses Oxygen with Google Services on it so I will be ditching that ASAP.
    Can I set up the phone without a Google account to get things up and running then move over to LineageOS?
    I appreciate I need to get into the phone first to enable dev, root etc. so the simple question is can I bypass the need to put in Google details
    05-28-2020 09:37 AM
    I appreciate I need to get into the phone first to enable dev, root etc. so the simple question is can I bypass the need to put in Google details
    I don't think so but I've never tried such a thing. My bet is that you need to start as it is and then root and go through the whole flashing process.
    SimmoMaz likes this.
    05-28-2020 09:49 AM
    You can basically de-Google any Android phone by not using it with a Google account and by disabling/uninstalling all Google apps on it, as well as Google Play services.

I personally wouldn't do it because I'm too dependent on their seamless syncing of contacts, calendar, notes, sms/calls and I like having "Find my device" feature.

But it is an option to those that want a pretty much Google-free Android device.

There were lots of talk about that in the CrackBerry forums actually
    SimmoMaz likes this.
    05-28-2020 10:03 AM
    Yeah, I can set it up without putting any Google info in so half way there- the absolutely vital thing for me is to be able to root the phone to get rid of Google altogether, or as much as can be done with a Google-dev OS!
    05-29-2020 04:54 AM
    Have enabled dev, USB debgging etc. but when I fastboot boot twrp.img the TWRP isn't taking, I can get into recovery but the only advanced option is to reboot into recovery or fastboot

The recovery looks like stock OxygenOS recovery, no sign at all that I have booted into TWRP. Am looking on the XDA forums but am baffled right now. Am also getting an issue where I flash twrp.img and I get stuck on 'Fastboot Mode' flash screen. Seems the twrp isn't flashing

Am digging deep for advice but if anyone knows of a great resource to address this (have found many but all suggest that the phone should auto-reboot into recovery once flashed and that isn't happening to me.

Is it also standard to boot into recovery and have to put in a password?

Thanks

S
    05-29-2020 04:58 AM
    Welcome aboard.

If I recall correctly- and it’s a long time since I did it - you have to follow a certain procedure after flashing TWRP so that the phone does boot into that, rather than into the stock Recovery. If that’s your problem, check the instructions.
    SimmoMaz likes this.
    05-29-2020 06:01 AM
    Maybe that is the case but seeing conflicting resolutions on XDA so hard to know which to follow as none seem to be working as yet.

I'll keep researching

Thanks
    S
    belodion likes this.
    05-29-2020 06:56 AM
    05-29-2020 07:19 AM
42 12