Hi, everyone. I just purchased a Motorola Photon with Gingerbread 2.3. I'm a former Palm Pre user and so I have a bit of a learning curve with this OS.

Everything I've read indicates that this is indeed a multi-tasking OS. And I've checked the topics in the help that comes with the phone, but I haven't been able to figure out some basic things and would appreciate some direction.

If I'm viewing an App, how do I end it?
    o Does pressing "Return" multiple times until I reach the home screen end it?
    o Does pressing "Home" end it?

If I'm viewing an App, how do I let it keep running while I start something an additional app?

If I do have more than one app running, how can I see which ones are still running?
    How do I get back to an app that's still running?

I've been using Task Manger to do end some programs, but I'm sure there must be a more direct way.

Of course, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards.

Den
    10-09-2011 09:11 PM
    Had to submit this (I think) to get immediate email notification for any replies.
    10-09-2011 09:14 PM
    Welcome to AC....you started the thread so you're automatically subscribed to it... but yes, typing a reply will also subscribe you as well as using the Thread Tools located at the top of the thread... incase you want to follow without replying.

As for your question... you can either back out of the app or hit the home button... doesn't matter... I usually use the return button to back out of the app. Android manages applications by itself. It will close out programs running as needed.... it does a great job of this so don't worry about leaving apps running.

For multi tasking.... long press the home button for a few seconds. It will bring up all of your recent apps that you've used. So if you want to jump back and forth between apps... just hold the home button and choose where you want to go.

You can find a lot of info in the General Help & How To and Tips & Tricks threads found in my signature.

Enjoy the forums..
    10-09-2011 09:49 PM
    Cory, thank you for your fast reply. I'll now be able to enjoy my Photon that much more!

Den
    10-09-2011 09:59 PM
    No problem.. you're welcome. Names Cyber/Eric by the way
    10-09-2011 10:03 PM
    oops. Was faked out by the sending email address...Android Forums [cory.streater@androidcentral.com]
    10-09-2011 10:14 PM
    Had to submit this (I think) to get immediate email notification for any replies.
    In your settings you have subscription mode turned off: http://forums.androidcentral.com/pro...do=editoptions

oops. Was faked out by the sending email address...Android Forums [cory.streater@androidcentral.com]
    It shouldn't be doing that. I'll look into and fix it.
    10-09-2011 11:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD