New Android user switching from Iphone...

ilivetowin

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Hey all,

Id like to introduce myself as a new member of the community, I have had ATT for 5 years now and am switching to Sprint on the 4th to get the Evo. I am doing so for several reasons, one of which is my interest in Android. I have always been a Linux fan and this phone just looks awesome.

I was wondering what I should know coming over from an Iphone, what apps I need, or any essential things I should know using my first Android phone.

Thanks guys looking forward to discussing Android in the coming months.

Sean

BigRick10

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Hey all,

Id like to introduce myself as a new member of the community, I have had ATT for 5 years now and am switching to Sprint on the 4th to get the Evo. I am doing so for several reasons, one of which is my interest in Android. I have always been a Linux fan and this phone just looks awesome.

I was wondering what I should know coming over from an Iphone, what apps I need, or any essential things I should know using my first Android phone.

Thanks guys looking forward to discussing Android in the coming months.

Sean

Wish i could help but i am on the same boat. Well almost, i am finally ditching blackberry.

ilivetowin

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I was actually a Berry user Rick before using my Iphone and even while using my Iphone had a workline using a Berry...I am pumped for the Evo tho, its specs kill both the Bold 9000 and 3GS and its open source method is great. I may grab a Curve on Sprint too...undecided yet.

ecaggiani

Feb 18, 2010
www.zazzle.com
There are two things I always tell new Android users...
  1. The back button is your friend. Use it to "back out" of apps.
  2. The menu button is also your friend. If you don't see an option you need on the screen, try the menu button. It usually brings up more useful options, kind of like the right mouse button in Windows.

Once you make a habit of trusting those two buttons, Android makes a lot more sense.

li2327

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Welcome to the forum and Android life. I love my Motorola Droid. I had an iphone, blackberry storm2 and a Tour. I haven't regretted it yet. :D

Duvi

Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Oo and say no to task killers/managers. Android OS handles it own its own.

I could not agree more... I was directed to task managers when I first got my Nexus and it totally did the opposite of what it was supposed to do to my device.

Please list some apps that you use almost daily so we can suggest some for you. I found out that most if not all apps I use on the iPhone, I can find the same or an equivalent. Also with widgets, it actually makes them more useful them my iPhone apps.

An example is the Notepad app (ColorNote) that I have. I can stick them on my home screen and never worry about forgetting it like I would on my iPhone, BlackBerry or Pre.

ilivetowin

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Duvi,

I mainly use Pandora radio, Youtube, Ebay, Facebook, ESPN Scorecenter, TMZ, Flixster Bing, Mapquest, Engadegt, Amazon

The most important likely being ESPN Scorecenter, I need to follow my sports! also any apps for movie reviews would be good, I love Rotten Tomatoes app...Facebook is another I use frequently...

Also that notes you mentioned sounds really cool, I like the Iphones preloaded notes app and do frequently use it, I also would like some sort of "to do list" app and also any app that will let you create or edit documents like word and excel sheets?

Thanks alot of the help so far guys, Im getting anxious, I want the EVO now!

mrjam3s

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
Duvi,

I mainly use Pandora radio, Youtube, Ebay, Facebook, ESPN Scorecenter, TMZ, Flixster Bing, Mapquest, Engadegt, Amazon

The most important likely being ESPN Scorecenter, I need to follow my sports! also any apps for movie reviews would be good, I love Rotten Tomatoes app...Facebook is another I use frequently...

Also that notes you mentioned sounds really cool, I like the Iphones preloaded notes app and do frequently use it, I also would like some sort of "to do list" app and also any app that will let you create or edit documents like word and excel sheets?

I think read somewhere that ESPN Scorecenter is coming to the market. Until then, there's scoremobile and sportstap. I sure there are more, but those two come to mind.

Welcome aboard!

Last edited:

Duvi

Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Duvi,

Sorry, just noticed this.

I mostly go to the website for score updates.

But you can use SportsTap which was pretty good when I used it. I just felt like I was using battery power for no reason.

Something new I'll be trying is adding my team calendars so I can get a reminder each day of a game. I am a baseball and football fanatic with a little basketball in the middle.

The notes app I mentioned is actually both a notes and to-do list app rolled up in one. When I get a chance, I'll post a screen shot.

Pandora, YouTube, eBay, Facebook, TMZ, Flixster (Movies), Engadget & Amazon are all apps, so no worries there.

ESPN SportsCenter - no app yet, but like I mentioned, you can use SportsTap or even the browser.

Bing - no app, but there are alternates like the web browser or Google. I definitely prefer more than I do Bing.

MapQuest - Nothing beats free turn by turn from Google Navigation IMO.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20