Android. My love for this operating system has been unequivocal and once without peer. I blindly followed the mighty Android Army and wore the banner proudly.

And one day, my blinders fell off.

This is my introduction, and maybe even my letter of resignation from Google and Android.

Everyone on this site is here because we know this is THE site for all things Android. And so it's here that I come bearing my feelings. Before those who I surmise have felt my feelings as well. What feelings?

Feelings of anguish at unresponsive devices. Disappointing update schedules. And suddenly outdated handsets.

Let's begin.

My first smartphone was the Motorola Devour, and for some odd reason, most of my subsequent devices were also this brand.

The Devour represented an escape for me from having to suffer the iOS fools. I had a 'Droid'. (though to be clear, at the time I didn't realize the branding scheme or how it related to phones and all that other misleading jargon)

The day I purchased the Devour, I had chosen it over the actual OG Droid. Why? Because it was silver and cast out of aluminum. I wanted something slightly different from what I saw others getting. HUGE mistake I would soon come to realize.

At this time I didn't realize the need to actually research the device I would be buying, or whether I truly needed a device with a keyboard.

Anyway, with the Devour in hand, I proudly walked into the new world, just knowing in my heart of hearts that this was going to change my life.

And it did. Before the Devour, I had always been the guy in my group of friends who always had the coolest watches, clothes, car, and feature phones. I changed phones every six months. Razrs, an Nokia NGage, a Samsung Delve( resistive touchscreen, ugh) a BB Pearl (not really a smartphone in my opinion) and numerous others.

But all failed to compare to what I was able to do with the Devour. The first device to fall to its might was my MP3 player. Sold it because it was no longer needed. I was surfing the web at 3G speeds!

And customization?! I spent days rearranging widgets and apps all over those five screens. Apps? I was blown away at what this device could do. Shazam blew my mind! Zenonia made me fall head over heels for pixel sprites again. And Google voice search struck a cord with my soul.

Soon I couldn't stop talking about this device, so I had to start researching it. I had to know what this thing was. Engadget was my first source. And it was here that I realized the heart breaking truth.

The Devour was garbage. It was a laggy, rebooting, horrible screened piece of crap.

Three months in, and I had gathered enough knowledge to know that I had to upgrade. Immediately. And even more so when I discovered that my device wouldn't be upgraded to Android 2.1. The OS that would give the feature that would destroy Garmin. Voice turn by turn directions.

So several months later, I went into Verizon and left with a Droid 2. My new love.

It was fast. Higher Rez screen. Better camera. And was rocking What was being called Froyo! I was in love again. Screw anyone who thought they had a better device than an Android based phone.

But yet again, I had made another mistake. My research hadn't been complete enough. Fooling myself yet again, I had chosen a second tier device over the headliner. The Droid X.

I seethed for months when it received Gingerbread before my Droid 2. The Droid 2 launched with Froyo whereas the Droid X had to be upgraded to it! And Verizon had the gall, the audacity, to leap frog it to gingerbread!

Damn them!

Not again. They would not get me again. So I dived further into Android lore. Discovered AndroidCentral, but didn't become a member. Used it as a place of research along with other blog sites. But of course, it was the best.

I discovered CES and MWC. I learned of the Nexus. I saw the advantages of rooting. I was ANDROID!

All my friends were converted. My wife converted. And for those who didn't agree with me, they earned my scorn and shame.

I bought the Motorola Xoom the day it arrived. I wouldn't be left behind as Apple shoved its iPad down everyone else throat. I would champion Google.

Honeycomb was incredible. But very flawed.

At this time, I had done enough reading to know and see some flaws in Android. My rose covered glasses were smudged.

The flaws were glaring to me as well as many others who shared my love for Android.

And at first, I put the blame solely on OEMs and carriers. Yet, it wasn't completely their fault. It was, and is, Googles.

I was the fool who purchased bad devices that I grew to loathe. But that wasn't the problem. I saw the bigger picture.

A saw a company that had no idea what it was doing. Like a child genius who creates a time machine and let's his less intelligent friends use it.

Great power. And no clue as to see what could potentially be done with it.

Google unleashed Android on a world that simply was not ready for it. As it stands now, it holds the largest market share with no signs of slowing down. Simply awesome, good job.

But in its wake is a sea of devices that should never had seen the light of day. Samsung, HTC, Motorola and others pushing out device after device, flooding the market, causing buyers remorse and destroying any hope of knowing whether your device would be allowed the privilege to take the next step of Android evolution or be left in the primordial ooze of the forgotten handsets.

Google lost control.

Open source doesn't, and shouldn't, mean chaos. And that's what Google has allowed to happen.

In no way am I saying that Google should be like Apple and be an iron fisted god. But neither should they be like the parents from an episode of Rugrats.

Balance is the key. And for quite a while they haven't shown that their aware of this.

At their core, Google is a search company. And that's where their money comes from. But they need to know that their also the parent of a fast maturing OS that needs to be reigned in some.

If left unchecked, this Android will destroy itself. I see it and I think others do to. In my mind these are some of the changes that need to be made. Keep in mind that some of these things are being addressed.

1. Marketing.

Have you ever watched an Android commercial? Non-sense. Pure and utter non-sense. A person has no idea what these wonderful phones can do, and if left to the carriers, they never will.

In particular, the Galaxy Nexus. Verizon treats it like a red headed step child. Verizon has too much control and Google and Samsung need to wrestle some of it back from them. Yes, I know that the reason for Verizon not promoting it is because of its lack of their bloat ware, but still, this is the Hero device! And everyone should know it.

2. Control.

Just because it's free, doesn't mean you can't control it.

How many devices were released last year from Android manufactures? How many variations of the same device? How many devices that should not even have left the drawing board?

Too many.

This has to stop. I know these companies want to hit all price points, but it's gotten ridiculous. I don't want to ever stop having a choice in what kind of device I can get, but I also don't want to buy a device one month,(Droid Bionic) to only have it outdated the next(Droid Razr).

Samsung has gotten this to an extent. The SGS II was its hero all of 2011. They may have catered to various carriers and released quite a few variations, but it was at least the same device.

No wonder their the number one Android vendor.

Control includes what the carriers are allowed to do. Sure I can understand the need for the, to put their bloat on devices. They want a chance to make money, but allowing them to make their apps system level, inexcusable.

No one should have to void their warranty to rid themselves of Blockbusters app.

Control when it comes to UI overlays.

Again, I truly have no problem with the UIs. The differences make sense from a companies stand point. Even though we would all love stock Android, especially with how great ICS is, how would they be able to sell various device.

But when those differences slow down the device and hinder its ability to get updated, that's where a problem occurs. Sure, I know about the carriers having to test, and cost to update can be high, but this is where control plays a huge part.

If there weren't so many devices, there wouldn't exist such a huge problem to update. Hand in hand is this issue of control.

These are just a couple of problems I think that need to be resolved. Some of these things are being addressed and I just need to be patient. But the part of me that loves Android hopes these problems are fixed before its too late.

Now, back to where I am currently in my device life.

I purchased a Bionic, which I quickly got rid of the second the Nexus came to Verizon, as well as selling my Xoom for an iPad.

Yes, that's right. An iPad.

After months of following Android blindly, cursing Apple and all who used it, I relented.

And was relieved.

Smooth operation. Childishly simply interface. And tons of apps.

But don't think that I was in love. It was simply a need to do further research. My own. And I finally understand why people buy iPads over Android based tablets.

Don't let the fools convince you other wise. It's not more simple to use. It's not because it looks better. It's not even the apps.

It's the name. Then Apple name is the selling point, whether its phone or pad.

How many times did I suffer through having someone ask me whether I was was using an iPad and have to explain that this was a Motorola Xoom? Too many to count.

So, yes, getting the iPad was a relief. It's nice to use. And it's all the other things I mentioned, but it lacks the functions a device like it should have. And the pull down notifications on that big screen? Ugly.

Having it has proved useful since I constantly have to use PDFs and the way it handles them is very good.

But most importantly, the iPad has given me balance. I now know that I can love Android, but still be open to other things. I proudly carry both my Galaxy Nexus and Satans iPad(just kidding).

But now I'm at an impasse.

I've tasted the forbidden fruit and am now considering if I should continue rolling with the little green bot that has consumed me.

Can I keep up this dual wielding lifestyle? Defending Android yet in possession of the enemies headlining device?

I have apps that can't sync with one another, and disappointment from both camps.

Ive weighed them and slowly have come to what can only be the most likely conclusion.

I might need a switch to make me appreciate Android again.

I haven't had to suffer through a stale interface with no widgets, or live wallpapers. I havent had to be stuck with a tiny screen that both my thumbs cover when they occupy it at the same time. I haven't had to be forced to be tolerate of what someone else tells me I need.

Or maybe Android has gotten stale?

I really want to know what the great AndroidCentral community thinks. Am I being too critical? Am I a a traitor that secretly loves Apple but haven't realized it yet? Or do I need to be patient and wait for Google to show me it's trump card that they have in the wings?

Help me AC community?!
    02-12-2012 08:41 AM
    There are 38 key features you will give up if you go to an iPhone:

Apple User's Guide to Android
    02-12-2012 09:30 AM
    Good story bro
    02-12-2012 09:37 AM
    If you really want to know, go back to before Apple or Google changed the game. Get an old Razr And try to use it for 3 months
    02-12-2012 09:46 AM
    Good story, some valid points but I will have to say regardless of how things are run and handled by Android it works... The numbers show it and the popularity growing by the day not just by the general user but also big business and government is starting to show.

In the end, we are all entitled to our own choices and paths to take.

Welcome to Android Central, and we hope to see you in the future so you choose to be here.
    02-12-2012 10:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD