New to Android (Galaxy Nexus from WebOS Pre3)

oobernoober

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Hi Everyone!

I'm a nooby to the Android world. I've come over from WebOS. Even though I'm missing some of the features from my Pre3, I'm really starting to get into the Android world. I'm definitely digging Android's app catalog. WebOS left a lot to be desired there, as well as the hardware. My Pre3 got the job done, but just getting my hands on one of those was a hassle, and already it was feeling old and tired.

I know that changing OS's is simply a learning process and part of it, for me, is simply getting used to all of the new features that many phones have these days (as you can imagine, there aren't many updates for an OS that's been effectively "dead" for the past year or so). The homebrew group for WebOS is amazing, but there's only so much they can do.
Anyways, here are some things that I'm really missing and wish that I could get back. Any help from some Android veterans would be great.

1. Notifications: Notifications definitely have a WebOS'ish feel, but I'm missing being able to do stuff straight out of notifications (ex. delete an email without having to use the widget or the app). With WebOS, there was a patch that gave me the ability to trash an email straight from the notification itself, which brings me to my next point.

2. Patches: WebOS (homebrew) used this 'patch' system. It was basically small downloads from an unofficial app catalog that allowed you to tweak parts of an app, menu, homescreen, etc. For example, I loved the patch that changed the battery symbol in the top corner from a picture of a battery (with appropriate fill level) to a color coded percentage which showed a more accurate state of my charge. The patch that added a little trash button to the notifications for emails was also a really good one. Is there anything like this in Android that I can use? I'm not afraid to get into rooting and whatnot.

3. 'Just Type': My Pre3 had this cool function called 'Just Type'. From the home screen, you would just start typing what you wanted (a contact's name, the status that you want to post to Facebook, a tweet you want to post to Twitter, name of an event to go into your calendar, etc.) and WebOS would drop a menu down with a list of all the different actions you could perform (call or text a contact, or post whatever you're typing to facebook). Does Android do something like this, or do they address that with widgets?

Well, my first post sounds a little more like a downer than I intended. I'm really loving many of the new (to me) features that Android offers. I think I'm slowly getting a handle on navigating through the OS. Any tips/tricks from the veterans would be much appreciated.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs