Newbie going to London w Incredible 2

MARIE MARYLAND

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I have an Incredible 2. We are going to London later this week, and have a couple of questions:

1. I'd like to use the droid at wifi spots to check on sites like trip advisor. I don't want to phone or text. So my plan is to put the droid in airplane mode, and only turn it on with the wifi activated when I am in a known wifi spot and want to connect to the internet. I have Verizon. Will my plan work? Will I be incurring any extra charges for this?

2. I have the charger that came with the phone (HTC). Will it work in London? I can't tell if it's a convertible 120/240V or not.

Thanks so much!
:)
Marie

mech1164

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
If you only have it in airplane mode with WiFi on you should be ok. In that you don't have any cellular data being used.

As far as the charger is concerned you would want one that works with their wall outlets. Best to do is find a shop that can sell you the proper type. If the trip isn't within the next couple of days. I'd say do a search on the Web and Amazon and buy it before you leave.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

MichaelBR

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: Newbie going to London w Incredible 2 / HINTS FOR TRAVELERS

Lucky you, as I just spent three weeks in the UK (one in London), with my Galaxy Ace.

You might want to enable roaming, just in case you do need to make a call from it while you're there. But best option is to a) take another unlocked device with you and get a pay-as-you-go SIM there for GBP 0.99 (+ GBP5.00 minimum credits). Or b) get a cheap phone there (max GBP 10.00). I got a locked T-Mobile one which I unlocked when I got home. Details below.

You are right on using airplane mode. You will save lots of battery. And you CAN turn on WiFi in airplane mode if you need it. But even better: get apps and download content for offline usage, so you don't depend on WiFi spots. Trip Advisor has offline guides for Android for major cities, including London and other UK cities.

My hints:

1. Go in to Google Maps, and create a map (Place) for your trip. Add points of interest there (hotels, attractions etc)
  2. On your device, open Google Maps and download a map centered on London for offline use. If it doesn't allow you to download maps for that location, then try a) change your local to English UK or b) get an older version of the app that will allow you to download maps for any country
  3. Alternatively, I strongly recommend an app called Locus Pro. I use it. Download maps for offline use, import points and routes, import points from your Google Places, etc. Awesome
  4. Get the offline Trip Advisor guide for London. Make sure you open it when online, so it downloads content and updates. Notice: adding "favorites" on the website or on the online app doesn't sync with the offline guide
  5. Your power adapter will have the voltage written on it. If it doesn't, try another AC/USB power supply in to which you can plug the cable of your device in. Once your happy you have an adapter that handles 220-240V, just get a power adapter at the airport (or at any supermarket)
  6. There's free WiFI at Starbucks and McDonald's. Don't pay for expensive WiFi at a hotel. Once you register at McDonald's, you can use it at any of their stores. Starbucks don't even ask for registration, I think.
  7. Get an app called Viber and make sure your iPhone and Android buddies also have it. You can make calls to each other via VoIP. The app is linked to your phone number, not to an account. Once you install the app, you just need to register and receive an SMS with the code. It checks your device's contacts to see who also has Viber installed. Great app, great sound quality , even over 2G/3G. And it's free.
  8. Get IMO Instant Messaging and register your Skype, MSN, GTalk, Yahoo accounts all in one place. You can also use their website, IMO.im and use all accounts there. For most accounts, chat-only, but it allows phone calls between IMO-registered users, and I'm pretty confident it allows Skype calls now, but I haven't tried the latter. It's a great app.
  9. If you might need a hotel, get the Booking.com app. It works.
  10. Get Worldmate. Open a free account. Forward your flight confirmations to your account and they auto-magically appear on your device, with reminders and alld
  11. DON'T get Bus Scout. It uses lots of battery / internet in the background
  12. Get the London app for the metro maps. The one I used is London 2.0.8 and is awesome. There's so many ways to get from one point to another, but this app will show you the alternatives and how long each one will take.
  13. Get Andro Money, to enter expenses in different currencies
  14. Get Seat Guru, in case you have to quickly choose a good seat on the airplane.
  15. More than one person? Sharing expenses? Get Travel Money to split the bills. I'm not sure if it handles different currencies, though.
  16. Going to Scotland? Get the Traveline Scotland app to check routes, times, for buses, trains, etc.
  17. Check the English trains service for their official app (if any). I didn't use the trains in England, only in Scotland, so I can't make a recommendation.
  18. Scotrail trains can have free wifi. England ones must have as well. Get tickets online and check if there is a choice for seats near WiFi.
  19. Evernote user? Warning: your notes aren't all there offline, unless you're a paid user. Make sure before you leave a WiFi zone
  20. Start your day at somewhere with WiFi, plan, e-mail, download, all that uses Internet. Notice: you CAN turn on WiFi, even in airplane mode.
  21. Not going to use your phone for calls? Get a cheap one for max GBP10 at any simple store (e.g. ASDA, etc). You should have a local number for emergencies, contacting travel company, local calls, call the taxis, etc I got a Samsung E1190 with a T-Mobile SIM and pay-as-you go. Refill balance at most newstands (WH Smith etc) and supermarkets. Unlocked the device when I got home and still use it.
  22. Make a list of phone numbers for taxi companies, in case you need one. Those fancy black cabs you get in the street are very expensive, I was told. Never checked, and only needed a taxi once (for which I booked via phone). You can't get the other taxi services in the streets - only via phone appointment. But who cares? Just use the metro and buses.

That's all I can think of right now. Feel free to ask for more if you need.

Best regards.

MichaelBR

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

A couple more hints I just remembered:

• In London, get an Oyster Card to use on metro, buses, etc. You can get them at any metro station and other places. Add credit and use it as you go. Will be there long? You can register it online and recover your credits in case it's lost or stolen.
  • Get ConvertPad app for currency conversions, unit conversions, etc. I'm not sure if it has clothe sizes, in case you plan on getting clothes.
  • London is a big city but mostly safe. Still, always keep eyes open and don't expose your device in dodgy areas. Camden Market has a sign "beware of pickpockets", but that's the only place I felt like I was in Rio. By the way: Camden Market is interesting place to get some sorts of souvenirs. At the market itself, just bargain. I took a GBP15.00 cap for GBP7.00 (I could see it was barely worth more than GBP5.00 anyway...). I didn't have the amount, said "I only have this", and left the shop. Seller called me as I left and took my GBP7.00

MichaelBR

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I say, just get one when you're there. At the airport they'll be a bit more expensive than outside the airport, but not much.

Don't waste too much with fancy multi-country ones. Just get the single local one.

You might only need one. Take with you one of your local multi-socket adapters (such as a power cord or a "Y" adapter), and plug that in to the US-UK adapter to feed all your devices.

MARIE MARYLAND

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Oh Michael, thank you so much, what wonderful recommendations. Now to follow up, we're leaving Saturday..

MARIE MARYLAND

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Gosh, what a newbie I am! How do I download a google map centered on London on my incredible 2?? I can access a map and put some key locations on the map, but can't figure out how to save it. Help!! And I can't figure out how to download the TripAdvisor London guide...

MichaelBR

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Gosh, what a newbie I am! How do I download a google map centered on London on my incredible 2?? I can access a map and put some key locations on the map, but can't figure out how to save it. Help!! And I can't figure out how to download the TripAdvisor London guide...

On version 6.8.1:

1. search for London, UK and center the map on London.]
  2. tap and hold on the centre of the area to cache. A baloon will pop-up, "Loading Address"
  3. Another pop-up appears with the address. Touch the arrow on the right of that baloon.
  4. A window opens with options like Directions, "What's Nearby, etc"
  5. Scroll down, and find the option "Precache Map Area"
  6. Google Maps will cache the map up to 10 miles from the center location

Repeat the process in other center location, to cache more map areas. Cached maps will be auto-removed by the app in about 30 days.

If your version is later than 6.8.1: the app might not allow you to precache maps outside your country. There are some options to overcome this:

1. Remove any installed updates of Google Maps, OR
  2. Change the device's locale

Changing the device's locale:

1. Enter the device's Settings menu, look for the Locale and Text settings
  2. Change the device's Language to the one of the country you're going to. E.g.: English-GB (or UK).

If there is no "English GB (or UK)" in your device (or if there isn't the locale/language of the country of destination), then you need an app, MoreLocale2, which allows you to change the device's locale to a vast number that's on a list, or enter the code for the locale you want. This is also good to keep English but have dates and phone numbers displayed in a different format. I think this app needs root access, but maybe not.

There are some advantages in using Locus Pro, which I mentioned yesterday: it's easier to download and cache maps, and you can add or import data points and routes from many sources.

I hope this helps you.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol