I bit the bullet and came over to the quasi dark side. :)

eds817

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
After 5+ years with BlackBerry (all keyboard devices) I've come over to the quasi dark side. I say quasi because only Apple is the true dark side. :D

I damaged my BB 9900 and am under contract with TMO and since they were not willing to help me I went over to AT&T where my wife has her account. In the long run this is going to work out better money wise due to her corporate discount.

Even though I loved my BB's the lack of usable apps for me made it time to switch. I considered the new Windows phones but since my wife has an Android and it happy with I decided to join her. So unless Android and the HTC OneX+ really sucks over the next 14 days I will be here for the next 2 years.

I'm looking forward to learning from all of you and in time contributing to the board.

In the meantime if there's any suggestions any of you can offer I am all ears.

What are the must have apps?

What forums here are the must read?

Thank you all in advance and I'm sure once I get into this new OS I will have many questions.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
After 5+ years with BlackBerry (all keyboard devices) I've come over to the quasi dark side. I say quasi because only Apple is the true dark side. :D

I damaged my BB 9900 and am under contract with TMO and since they were not willing to help me I went over to AT&T where my wife has her account. In the long run this is going to work out better money wise due to her corporate discount.

Even though I loved my BB's the lack of usable apps for me made it time to switch. I considered the new Windows phones but since my wife has an Android and it happy with I decided to join her. So unless Android and the HTC OneX+ really sucks over the next 14 days I will be here for the next 2 years.

I'm looking forward to learning from all of you and in time contributing to the board.

In the meantime if there's any suggestions any of you can offer I am all ears.

What are the must have apps?

What forums here are the must read?

Thank you all in advance and I'm sure once I get into this new OS I will have many questions.

Welcome to AC! Don't be afraid to ask those new questions as they come up, we're happy to help out. As far as advice, I'd say this: don't be cautious. You don't need to be cautious with Android (caveat: unless you're really going deep and rooting or flashing to your device). Explore. Install apps, launchers, widgets, change settings, and test the device just because you can. I guarantee you'll run into some cool combinations that way, and it's by far the fastest method for getting used to how Android works (navigation, menus, multi-tasking, etc.).

Each week AC publishes an "Apps of the Week" article. Keep an eye out for those, and look through all the past app articles here: Android Central Editor's Picks | Android Central

As for the good forums to read...

...the One X forums would obviously be the place to start. HTC One X
...the OS Discussion & Help category can help keep you updated with Android news. Android OS Discussion & Help
...the General News & Discussion forum can help keep you updated on mobile tech discussions. General News & Discussion
...the Google Branded Devices category (the Nexus device forums in particular) contain a lot of informative, insightful information and discussions on the stock Android experience as Google designed it. Google Branded Android Devices

And finally, just keep an eye on AndroidCentral's front page. If you want to keep yourself somewhat up-to-date on the Android goings-on, the AC front page is one of the best consolidated places to find that information.

:)

randall2580

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I I would like to welcome you as well and tell you that you are not alone, many of us came from BlackBerry for many of the same reasons you did. I owned every major BB since the 7520 and it was not an easy decision to make at the time but I was tired then of all the delays with BB10 and got the original Galaxy Note and haven't looked back. I still carry my 9810 for business, I need BBM for overseas customers, but less and less.

As others have said before me welcome and don't be afraid to ask questions. There are a lot of "on BB I used to be able to do....is it possible on Android?". Don't hesitate to ask as I said many of us came from BB and walked the walk you are about to walk :). You are lucky you have someone in the house already who has had Android and likes it - that is a big help!

Make sure you check out your device's forum and be certain to catch the podcast, the guys here are really good about doing it just about every week and I promise you you will learn something every time.
Its hard to add to what Lumenii said, he did a good job there with his list. Just remember if you want to do something on Android chances are someone has thought of a way to do it! You just have to chase it down.

Like CrackBerry you will see Phil, Jerry, Alex and Andrew all over the place here especially if they are rocking a phone you have at the time. I think they learn from us too from time to time. There is a lot to learn and it may seem like a lot at first, your 9900 probably required little work to get it as you liked it, the One X+ might require a little more but the effort is worth it!

Again, welcome to Android and the "quasi dark side". The force is strong here!

I would definately recommend the new SwiftKey - the predictions are amazing. Its the same predictive engine that's in the new BB10. Other apps I say are really great:

One More Clock Widget
if you are a baseball fan the MLB At Bat is great
I use Avast Mobile protection for the anti-theft (kinda like BlackBerry Protect) and it's free
Since Falcon pro is now closed to new users I would recommend Carbon for Twitter if you like to Tweet
FlipBoard - must have
Google Currents, Zagats Guide, and Field Trip 3 from Google worth getting
ES File Explorer - it's great has built in integration with Dropbox, Box, Google Drive, SkyDrive and SugarSync
Evernote
Google + is Facebook but for Geeks
iMediaShare is great if you have DLNA in your TV or DVD player
HBO Go, Max Go and Showtime anywhere if you have the cable these are free to use
Locale is a great program to help maintain battery life
Mighty Text puts text from your phone on your desktop during the day
Chrome (sync it with everything Android and the Chrome on your desktop) and use the "send to mobile"
Mx Player (i paid for the Pro but the free version is really good as well) I have yet to find a video file it cannot play
Nova Launcher is my favorite Launcher, very customizable
PlayMusic
PocketCast for Podcasts
ROM manager once you are rooted(if you ever are some folks never do - and that's' ok)
Google Voice
[app name deleted by moderator]
Tune In Radio (a carry over from my BB)
Viber and WhatsApp
WorldMate is the original BlackBerry Travel
Waze - another absolute must have - navigation with a real plus

Did I give you enough there?

Last edited by a moderator:

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Please do not discuss apps for viewing pirated content. Given how you listed the app, it is apparent that you knew that AC does not allow such discussions. Do that again and you may be banned without further warning.

Sent from my SGSIII

li2327

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. You will enjoy the forum as much as the device. They're both addicting! Enjoy! :)

via Android Central Forums App

randall2580

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Please do not discuss apps for viewing pirated content. Given how you listed the app, it is apparent that you knew that AC does not allow such discussions. Do that again and you may be banned without further warning.

Sent from my SGSIII

Understood. A word to the wise is sufficient (or so my Dad used to tell me :) ) Please note for the record I did not know, though I certainly do now. My comments related to the fact that the app is available currently in Google Play is all. Not arguing, I certainly wouldn't do it again.

I hope over 800 post here and in CrackBerry without incident, would speak to that.