Hello/Dillema

jdpj2008

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hey Android Forums, I have been with Android since the original OG. I love the OS and some of the things google is doing. My dilemma right now is that it is time for my upgrade with Verizon, arrgghhh. The problem is i would like to get a nexus device but the unlimited data plan i am with verizon is making me have second thoughts. I really don't want a GS4 on contract since that would void my unlimited data but if i get a nexus i have to move to a different carrier who wouldn't offer the unlimited plan anways. Any suggestions??

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
How's your service with Verizon? Are you satisfied with it?

Also, do you know how much data you use on a monthly basis? The GS4 "Google Edition" is set to be released on AT&T and T-mobile in the next month or so, so if you are confortable with either of those two carriers you should be ok. The HTC One is also rumored to get the stock Android experience treatment sometime in the very near future. However, for which carrier it will be compatible with is not known -- I'm guessing AT&T and T-Mobile.

Welcome to AC!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hey Android Forums, I have been with Android since the original OG. I love the OS and some of the things google is doing. My dilemma right now is that it is time for my upgrade with Verizon, arrgghhh. The problem is i would like to get a nexus device but the unlimited data plan i am with verizon is making me have second thoughts. I really don't want a GS4 on contract since that would void my unlimited data but if i get a nexus i have to move to a different carrier who wouldn't offer the unlimited plan anways. Any suggestions??

Welcome to the forums!

You could outright purchase the phone, then tie it to your account. I am sure that isn't very feasible, but an option. You could look at other carriers like the previous post suggested. There have been a lot of people saying they are happier on a prepaid account with a Nexus 4.

jdpj2008

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Sorry this took so long to reply to and I appreciate the input. The major problem is the WIFE who uses her phone to talk on much more than i do, does not want to switch and has heard about coverage issues from some of her friends on other carriers. We are on a family share plan and only pay ~150 before the insurance for unlimited everything. I wanted the nexus experience at least pnce and was really, really, really, (said that enough) hoping to get a Nexus on verizon. I will probably wait for the HTC One to come to verizon now since they just made the anouncement. But man i really wanted the stock android experience without the necessity of rooting, custom ROMs etc to achieve it before i got another skinned phone.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Sorry this took so long to reply to and I appreciate the input. The major problem is the WIFE who uses her phone to talk on much more than i do, does not want to switch and has heard about coverage issues from some of her friends on other carriers. We are on a family share plan and only pay ~150 before the insurance for unlimited everything. I wanted the nexus experience at least pnce and was really, really, really, (said that enough) hoping to get a Nexus on verizon. I will probably wait for the HTC One to come to verizon now since they just made the anouncement. But man i really wanted the stock android experience without the necessity of rooting, custom ROMs etc to achieve it before i got another skinned phone.

No sweat on the long response. You will still have to unlock the bootloader in order to install a ROM on a Nexus, which is pretty much the same as rooting. There is a rumor of a Google Edition of the One coming out. I don't know if Verizon will ever get those phones. They didn't care for the Nexus devices, and I believe they outright said so. I would look at the One.

Now, if you want a Nexus feel, have you looked at just getting a wifi version of the nexus tablets?

jdpj2008

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We will be getting a nexus 7 tablet shortly so the HTC one is certainly an option. How ever I wouldn't want the google edition one since I believe the camera software is proprietary and I am not sure if the stock android camera would work well with those four ultrapizels. The stock experience would not justify that price point for that phone to me. Just speaking for my budget of course I'm sure it will work great for some android users.

sent from my soon to be replaced HTC Rezound

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781