I am slowly migrating to the Android family. I have dabbled with Droid devices a couple of times prior to (Xperia X10 and a LG POS pre-paid), but now looking to go full boar. I have already swapped out the Playbook for the Galaxy Tab 2, now looking to do the same with my cellphone as I am currently using a Z10.

I am most familiar with iOS and BlackBerry products. What is drawing me to the Droid family you might ask? Well it is what you can do with the OS. You want to tweak it? You can. Want to completely change the look of the OS? You can. There are countless options you can do with Android devices. Also, coming from a BlackBerry there is a much larger catalogue of apps compared to what BB World has to offer.

I am technically inclined for the most part. I mean I have side-loaded apps to my BlackBerry devices both the long way when the Android run-time was first introduced to the PB and the short way via the Chrome Extension. The transition to Android shouldn't be that difficult, but I may have questions along the way when it comes the various launchers and what not. So any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    07-16-2013 10:51 AM
    I am slowly migrating to the Android family. I have dabbled with Droid devices a couple of times prior to (Xperia X10 and a LG POS pre-paid), but now looking to go full boar. I have already swapped out the Playbook for the Galaxy Tab 2, now looking to do the same with my cellphone as I am currently using a Z10.

I am most familiar with iOS and BlackBerry products. What is drawing me to the Droid family you might ask? Well it is what you can do with the OS. You want to tweak it? You can. Want to completely change the look of the OS? You can. There are countless options you can do with Android devices. Also, coming from a BlackBerry there is a much larger catalogue of apps compared to what BB World has to offer.

I am technically inclined for the most part. I mean I have side-loaded apps to my BlackBerry devices both the long way when the Android run-time was first introduced to the PB and the short way via the Chrome Extension. The transition to Android shouldn't be that difficult, but I may have questions along the way when it comes the various launchers and what not. So any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Welcome to Android!

What device are you looking at getting?
    As for launchers I love Nova. You can change the color theme, scrolling animation and speed, grid layout on the home screens and app drawer, plus more.
    cyberprashant likes this.
    07-16-2013 12:54 PM
    Welcome to Android!

What device are you looking at getting? The HTC One.
    As for launchers I love Nova. You can change the color theme, scrolling animation and speed, grid layout on the home screens and app drawer, plus more.
    This I was curious about as there are Nova, Apex, Go, amongst other launchers to choose from. It can be a little overwhelming.

Another question. I went to install the "Go Launcher Ex" under the phone calls permission it says "make phone calls without my intervention" what exactly does that mean?
    Thanks.
    07-16-2013 02:11 PM
    Welcome to Forums
    07-16-2013 05:48 PM
    [/B] This I was curious about as there are Nova, Apex, Go, amongst other launchers to choose from. It can be a little overwhelming.

Another question. I went to install the "Go Launcher Ex" under the phone calls permission it says "make phone calls without my intervention" what exactly does that mean?
    Thanks.
    I am honestly not sure. You can email the developer and ask for elaboration.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.
    07-19-2013 09:09 PM
    [/B] This I was curious about as there are Nova, Apex, Go, amongst other launchers to choose from. It can be a little overwhelming.

Thanks.
    Welcome to the forums! Here is a quick explanation of those permissions often asked by apps before you install: Android 101: What some of those scary application permissions mean | Android Central

An app such as Go Launcher will need to have access to these permissions since it controls the phone OS as a whole. If you have any questions let us know, we're here to help!
    07-20-2013 10:10 AM
    The reasoning behind that permission is to allow Direct Dial Widgets. Whether or not you wish to use them, since it's a feature of the launcher it's necessary.

Another cool launcher is Action Launcher. It integrates the app drawer into a slide out menu on the left side of your device. Also shutters and covers are really innovative and efficient features. If you need anything please don't hesitate to ask!
    blackhawksfan75 likes this.
    07-20-2013 10:40 AM
    I picked up the HTC One on Saturday. It has been only two days but so far the phone is awesome. Camera is a definite improvement over what the Z10 is offering. Not discounting the Z10 but the camera was subpar at best. I haven't really gone into the options of the camera, but from what I can tell there loads of different settings. Can anyone recommend a good photo editing app?

Keyboard is easy to use. I thought I would miss the predictive Z10 keyboard but so far I have no complaints.

Having the dual front speakers is also a nice feature as it provides the HTC One with good quality sound, there were times I didn't even know my BB went off in my pocket especially in a crowded room. I have yet to take a phone call so I can't really comment on that area.

Blinkfeed is a little cumbersome but I enjoy using it, kind of makes having the Flipboard app a little redundant, but there are areas on Flipboard that Blinkfeed doesn't cover so the trade off is nice.

Can't comment on battery life either as only having the devices for only two days doesn't do any justice.
    07-22-2013 02:28 PM
    Galaxy S4 here - To get the stock JB look without root : I use Holo Launcher HD, and Camera JB+. Jellybean clock is also a freebie (can't remember exact name). I also like Handcent SMS since it has emoji.
    07-27-2013 07:32 PM
    Galaxy S4 here - To get the stock JB look without root : I use Holo Launcher HD, and Camera JB+. Jellybean clock is also a freebie (can't remember exact name). I also like Handcent SMS since it has emoji.
    Textra also has emojis.
    07-28-2013 01:13 AM
    Hi!!!
    09-02-2013 01:36 PM