Hello! Ok, so I ended up here after trying to research about updating my phone. (I am not tech savvy so please excuse my choice of words) anyway I have a Samsung Admire 2.3.4 gingerbread and was searching for an update, if there is one or if its possible. Hopefully someone can help me (searching on Google seems endless). Thank you!!!
    07-24-2013 03:25 PM
    Since the Samsung Admire is an older phone with lower specs, I really doubt that it could support a much newer version of Android. If you are interested in rooting your device, you may be able to update to 2.3.6 (the last Gingerbread version). If you are interested in rooting, you can find more about it here What is Rooting on Android? The Advantages and Disadvantages | Droid Lessons
    07-24-2013 04:05 PM
    LOL where is the thanks button! Just in case, i appreciate your help!
    07-24-2013 04:24 PM
    LOL where is the thanks button! Just in case, i appreciate your help!
    It's right there... on the right. Under his/her post. --->
    07-24-2013 06:12 PM
    Hello! Ok, so I ended up here after trying to research about updating my phone. (I am not tech savvy so please excuse my choice of words) anyway I have a Samsung Admire 2.3.4 gingerbread and was searching for an update, if there is one or if its possible. Hopefully someone can help me (searching on Google seems endless). Thank you!!!
    I would guess you aren't going to get any official update to 4.0, so your best option would be to get root access, and flash a ROM on to it. Cyanogen and AOKP are a couple of the more popular ones. I would check each one's website to see if your device is supported.

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome to the forums!!!
    I would guess you aren't going to get any official update to 4.0, so your best option would be to get root access, and flash a ROM on to it. Cyanogen and AOKP are a couple of the more popular ones. I would check each one's website to see if your device is supported.
    07-24-2013 10:05 PM
    I checked samsungs website and there is an update to 2.3.6. I don't know if that is much of a difference, but I'm going to try it out. I think I saw something about Cyanogen when I was browsing for updates. I will look more into that. Thanks!
    07-25-2013 04:29 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! If there's an official update for your particular phone, you can get it by going to Settings/About phone/System update, then tap the "Check for Update" button. The fact that the Samsung site lists a 2.3.6 update doesn't necessarily mean that it's for your phone, because it can also depend on the phone carrier. For example, I think the Galaxy S3 got updated on AT&T and Sprint significantly earlier than on Verizon (because Verizon is notoriously slow and deliberate with releasing updates).
    07-25-2013 05:54 PM
    welcome to forums
    07-25-2013 09:31 PM