Hello Android Central,

I'm new to the forums but have been viewing the posts for the last few months anticipating the releases of the latest android devices. I'm now in the market for my first tablet and I want it to be Android. I have an iPhone 4s and have been wooed by Apple since I first purchased my iphone 3s. I considered the iPad but I have grown to dislike the Apple ecosystem due to its limitations and diminished woo factor. Not to ramble on, but I really became interested in Android when i purchased a 1st Gen Kindle Fire for my 12 yo daughter and then a Nabi 2 for my 5 yo son (awesome price for a nice kids tablet during Black Friday). Anyway, I followed the news about the N7 and N10 and was comparing specs between the two and w/ the latest iPad 4. I was ready to sell myself on the N10 and then news about the N7 started trickling. So now that it has released, which should I get...the N7 or N10? I will play games, browse the web and the usual stuff a tablet will be used for. I specifically want to download books to study for my IT certifications (A+ book is huge to haul around) and watch movies during my grave shifts and when I'm out with the wifey shopping!! I don't care about any other e-readers/tablets...I only want to choose between the N7 or N10 unless there is something that will top those two.

Side note: after the tablet debate...I plan to switch my iPhone 4s to an Android phone (S4, HTC One, Nexus ??, etc...)

Thanks for any advice.

cw
    08-02-2013 01:58 AM
    I prefer the 7" myself, it is more portable, more affordable and there is something about it that is just awesome... however for a text book library... I could argue 10" is much better for that function. And the screen on the N10 really is to die for.
    08-02-2013 02:08 AM
    I've used both form factors. The 10" tablet is ok for reading if sitting upright, and makes a killer GPS in the car. Mostly, I enjoy a 7" or 8" tablet for general use. It can do those things pretty well, however I don't find my arms becoming fatigued while reading in bed. The smaller tablets are also easier to carry around from place to place.
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
    08-02-2013 10:04 AM
    Hello Android Central,

I'm new to the forums but have been viewing the posts for the last few months anticipating the releases of the latest android devices. I'm now in the market for my first tablet and I want it to be Android. I have an iPhone 4s and have been wooed by Apple since I first purchased my iphone 3s. I considered the iPad but I have grown to dislike the Apple ecosystem due to its limitations and diminished woo factor. Not to ramble on, but I really became interested in Android when i purchased a 1st Gen Kindle Fire for my 12 yo daughter and then a Nabi 2 for my 5 yo son (awesome price for a nice kids tablet during Black Friday). Anyway, I followed the news about the N7 and N10 and was comparing specs between the two and w/ the latest iPad 4. I was ready to sell myself on the N10 and then news about the N7 started trickling. So now that it has released, which should I get...the N7 or N10? I will play games, browse the web and the usual stuff a tablet will be used for. I specifically want to download books to study for my IT certifications (A+ book is huge to haul around) and watch movies during my grave shifts and when I'm out with the wifey shopping!! I don't care about any other e-readers/tablets...I only want to choose between the N7 or N10 unless there is something that will top those two.

Side note: after the tablet debate...I plan to switch my iPhone 4s to an Android phone (S4, HTC One, Nexus ??, etc...)

Thanks for any advice.

cw
    Welcome to the forums!
    I have held 10" and 7 and 8" tablets, and I prefer the smaller ones. Less bulky, lighter, like Scott said. 10" ones are a little harder to hold with one hand, again, due to size. But, I agree with Nothing, the larger screen is nice.

I settled on a 7" Galaxy Tab 2 over the 10. Partly price but mainly, the size.

To answer you other question, S4 or HTC One are both solid choices. Best thing to say is hold each and play with it, make your decision that way.
    08-02-2013 10:27 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! All good advice above. I think one of the key questions will be portability. Do you want a tablet to carry around and use everywhere you go, or would you plan on keeping it in mostly one place? Go 7" if the former, 10" if the latter. I think 7" screens are perfectly good for gaming and movies. 10" screens might be better for textbooks if there are a lot of detailed diagrams, but if it's mostly text, then it isn't as important.
    Golfdriver97 and Aquila like this.
    08-02-2013 10:10 PM
    Yea,
    Both are valid devices which will probably come down to which price can I get my wife to frown the least!!!

cw
    08-03-2013 03:42 PM
    The smaller tablets are also easier to carry around from place to place.
    Yea, portability is huge. I would like to carry it with me most places in a small backpack I use for bike commute to/from work.
    08-03-2013 03:46 PM
    Welcome to the forums!
    I have held 10" and 7 and 8" tablets, and I prefer the smaller ones. Less bulky, lighter, like Scott said. 10" ones are a little harder to hold with one hand, again, due to size. But, I agree with Nothing, the larger screen is nice.

I settled on a 7" Galaxy Tab 2 over the 10. Partly price but mainly, the size.

To answer you other question, S4 or HTC One are both solid choices. Best thing to say is hold each and play with it, make your decision that way.
    I think I may be sold on the N7 due to price, size, and its portability compared to the N10. The N10 is nice but I think I can ease the "what you need a tablet for at the price!" from the wifey! lol Plus, it will accomplish everything I really need to do for now.

By the time I am ready to purchase my new phone, there will probably be more to choose from making the decision that much more difficult. I agree, the S4 and HTC One are really nice. I wonder what are the plans for the Nexus 4 or its successor? One more quick question, is there anyway to get music/videos recorded on apple device (iphone 4s) to android devices (N7 in particular)?

cw
    08-03-2013 03:56 PM
    I think I may be sold on the N7 due to price, size, and its portability compared to the N10. The N10 is nice but I think I can ease the "what you need a tablet for at the price!" from the wifey! lol Plus, it will accomplish everything I really need to do for now.

By the time I am ready to purchase my new phone, there will probably be more to choose from making the decision that much more difficult. I agree, the S4 and HTC One are really nice. I wonder what are the plans for the Nexus 4 or its successor? One more quick question, is there anyway to get music/videos recorded on apple device (iphone 4s) to android devices (N7 in particular)?

cw
    Upload it to Google+

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    08-03-2013 04:00 PM
    n7 for portability!
    09-02-2013 02:23 PM