Bewildered iOS user in the strange world of Android

richardcb

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi all. Not quite sure where to start - literally. I'm taking my first steps into Android after years of only knowing iOS. Hoping to find things 'pretty much the same' I've already been bewildered how different they actually are. AC looks like the place to get some help, I thought. Huge resources, lots of friendly, knowledgeable people. Well, my first post left a week ago has gone unanswered and I'm not sure which forum will help with my Android tablet because a) it's new and b) it's only being sold in the UK as far as I know (it's called a Tesco hudl).

So, if some friendly soul, could come to my assistance with advice on the best places to get answers to my questions I'd be eternally grateful. I'll be the one wandering around with the confused look on his face. :confused:

Nemephosis

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Well as someone who came off an iPhone for three and a half years himself, I can tell you that no, things will not be the same. They will be jarringly different, and yes it will be very uncomfortable at first. But I really feel if you stick with it, you will grow to enjoy it. Just be sure to keep an open mind and realize that it won't be the same. Once you start finding out what you can do though, I think you will like it. The temptation to flake and go back will be a strong one, but I think if you make it a week of making it your daily driver, you'll be okay.

As far as the tablet goes, I have not heard of this. Maybe someone here can dig something up on it and give you a hand. Sorry I can't be that guy, but I can offer you support and definitely tell you as a fellow (former) iOS user, you will not want to go back.

HypoDest

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi, welcome to the AC forums.
It seems like you have a very uncommon tablet which doesn't have a dedicated forum page, maybe a post titled Tesco Hudl may attract other owners.
The tablet seems to have almost stock Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean so threads relating to tablets with stock jelly bean, like the nexus 7 would be relevant for app/software qns.

Regarding your qn on whether there are dedicated tablet apps, or if it is a one sized fits all system, the answer is both as it varies from app to app.

Sent from my GT-N7100

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi all. Not quite sure where to start - literally. I'm taking my first steps into Android after years of only knowing iOS. Hoping to find things 'pretty much the same' I've already been bewildered how different they actually are. AC looks like the place to get some help, I thought. Huge resources, lots of friendly, knowledgeable people. Well, my first post left a week ago has gone unanswered and I'm not sure which forum will help with my Android tablet because a) it's new and b) it's only being sold in the UK as far as I know (it's called a Tesco hudl).

So, if some friendly soul, could come to my assistance with advice on the best places to get answers to my questions I'd be eternally grateful. I'll be the one wandering around with the confused look on his face. :confused:

Welcome to Android Central! So sorry to hear that you didn't get a response to your first post--this Introductions forum is definitely the best place to get noticed and get welcomed. I see that your first post was in this thread: http://forums.androidcentral.com/general-help-how/137252-apple-users-guide-android.html, which is what I would have suggested you peruse in the first place. This one is also a good one to read: http://forums.androidcentral.com/general-help-how/31622-getting-started-android-tips-tricks.html

To answer your question from your first post regarding apps for phones vs tablets, you'll find that most Android apps will run on either kind of device, regardless of screen size. The apps will typically re-size depending on the screen size, although some apps might just look stretched out (the way apps for the iPhone can be stretched out to fit the iPad screen). However, there certainly are apps that are optimized for tablets for Android--you can usually tell in the app description. In addition, the Google Play Store (i.e., Google's app store) can tell if you're using a tablet, and will give you a category suggesting tablet-optimized apps.

I read about the Tesco Hudl recently on Android Central (Hudl: Hands-on with Tesco's budget tablet | Android Central)--sounds like a nice piece of hardware for a good price. Let us know how you like it!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Welcome to the forums.
What device did you get?

Sent from a 4.3 Slim S3 using the AC forums app

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Welcome. Sorry you didn't get a response to your question. It looks like others have piped in.

I think you'll find that unlike iOS, there aren't typically "tablet apps" and "phone apps"....like usually one purchase covers both, and if the app is optimized for tablets, it just scales/displays differently.

richardcb

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Thank you all for your words of encouragement and advice. I'm feeling a lot less bewildered and more in control today. I guess the first 24 hours are always the worst. :D

To those asking about my device, it is new, very new (launched 30th September) and, as far as I know, only available in the UK at the moment. It's caused a lot of interest because it has been developed and is being sold by the country's biggest supermarket chain (think Wal Mart) and aimed squarely at the family market. I've included a couple of links below for more details.

I'm aware it hasn't got the international recognition (yet) of the major players and as such won't be familiar to many AC members. However, it is a pure Android tablet so I'm sure many of the hints and tips here will be of use. Hopefully other Hudl owners will find their way here in the weeks to come so maybe we can form our own little group in the broom closet, if available. ;)

Thanks again for your help.

Tesco hudl links:
Hudl - Introducing the new 7" tablet from Tesco - Tesco.com
Video: Tesco Hudl tablet hands on - Telegraph

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thank you all for your words of encouragement and advice. I'm feeling a lot less bewildered and more in control today. I guess the first 24 hours are always the worst. :D

To those asking about my device, it is new, very new (launched 30th September) and, as far as I know, only available in the UK at the moment. It's caused a lot of interest because it has been developed and is being sold by the country's biggest supermarket chain (think Wal Mart) and aimed squarely at the family market. I've included a couple of links below for more details.

I'm aware it hasn't got the international recognition (yet) of the major players and as such won't be familiar to many AC members. However, it is a pure Android tablet so I'm sure many of the hints and tips here will be of use. Hopefully other Hudl owners will find their way here in the weeks to come so maybe we can form our own little group in the broom closet, if available. ;)

Tesco hudl links:

Glad you are liking it so far. When you get accustomed to the new OS, try getting another launcher, like Nova or Action.
Nova guide: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ambassador-guides-tips-how-tos/299378-guide-nova-launcher.html
Action guide: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...15-guide-action-launcher-updated-1-9-0-a.html

From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Tesco hudl links:

Thanks for those links! There may not be a dedicated Hudl forum yet, but you can help by creating new threads about your experience with the device so far, in either of these forums:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/general-help-how/
http://forums.androidcentral.com/other-tablets/