After the recent Apple disaster known as IOS 7, that got me looking at moving to another phone. I am looking at either going to the Nexus 5 or 7. After doing some digging, I think that I will go with T-Mobile's prepaid service that I saw listed for $30 that is unlimited data with 100 minutes. Dont see any reason to give AT&T any more business. Since I am looking to use this mostly for data, that seems like the way to go. The main thing that I am looking for this to do is be a portable hotspot when needed.

Would be interested in thoughts of the phone vs tablet choice ?

Thanks,
    Ron
    10-23-2013 09:00 PM
    After the recent Apple disaster known as IOS 7, that got me looking at moving to another phone. I am looking at either going to the Nexus 5 or 7. After doing some digging, I think that I will go with T-Mobile's prepaid service that I saw listed for $30 that is unlimited data with 100 minutes. Dont see any reason to give AT&T any more business. Since I am looking to use this mostly for data, that seems like the way to go. The main thing that I am looking for this to do is be a portable hotspot when needed.

Would be interested in thoughts of the phone vs tablet choice ?

Thanks,
    Ron
    Welcome to Android Central
    Are you going to be dropping your iPhone? If so the Nexus 5 is definitely a good choice. Do you have an iPad/Mini? I'd say the Nexus 5/iPad combination is better than the iPhone/Nexus 7 combination
    10-23-2013 09:12 PM
    Still have another year on the iPhone 5 contract. Looking at this as an alternative carrier. I periodically do some testing at work with 2 Factor Authentication and dont have an android device to test with. I have an iPad and an iPad2. The iPad is mostly used for work as I have several thousand PDF's on it with the technical manuals / references that I have for the gear I work on.

I cant see the justification in paying AT&T $20+ a month for the hot spot functionality on my current iPhone and thought that this would be a good time to look at the Nexus.

Ron
    10-23-2013 09:21 PM
    Still have another year on the iPhone 5 contract. Looking at this as an alternative carrier. I periodically do some testing at work with 2 Factor Authentication and dont have an android device to test with. I have an iPad and an iPad2. The iPad is mostly used for work as I have several thousand PDF's on it with the technical manuals / references that I have for the gear I work on.

I cant see the justification in paying AT&T $20+ a month for the hot spot functionality on my current iPhone and thought that this would be a good time to look at the Nexus.

Ron
    So you'd either have to cut the iPhone 5 contract or have two separate lines for both phones. You could do that but it would be more expensive than paying the additional $20 a month for hotspot. If money wasn't an issue I'd go with the N5 and tether to the iPads.
    10-23-2013 09:27 PM

Ron
    Welcome to the forums, and hopefully soon Android!
    I think it would be a good, and inexpensive way to test a nexus device and how you like a prepaid service. Best thing about prepaid is if you dislike the service, just don't buy any more units/time/etc....
    As for which device...I think I would suggest the tablet. You can get a wifi version as well, so that would preclude the need to buy a prepaid service.
    10-23-2013 09:38 PM
    Welcome to Android Central!

I think you'll find that you really like Android and I'd say the Nexus 5 would be a good bet.
    10-24-2013 07:16 AM