New to android and looking for advice

projectmx

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
So I just ordered my first real android device (I have some zte at&t go phone when I cross into the states and an android mp3 player but I don't really use them often and they are very limited in their use) I ordered a nexus 7 first gen tablet and I'm waiting for it to arrive. I am about to upgrade my cell phone and I am also considering an android for my phone but I am not sure what to get. I prefer something affordable, decent memory, and takes good pictures. Any advice would be great.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
So I just ordered my first real android device (I have some zte at&t go phone when I cross into the states and an android mp3 player but I don't really use them often and they are very limited in their use) I ordered a nexus 7 first gen tablet and I'm waiting for it to arrive. I am about to upgrade my cell phone and I am also considering an android for my phone but I am not sure what to get. I prefer something affordable, decent memory, and takes good pictures. Any advice would be great.

Which carrier and what is your price limit?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Sounds like an exciting time for you. I don't think you can go wrong with the Moto X or the cheaper Moto G (check out the review of the latter here).

projectmx

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
I have bell but I am breaking contract and switching to wind, its the only carrier in Ontario I have found with a good price and enough voice/text/data bell/rogers/telus are a complete ripoff

so moto x over nexus 5 or a used S3 or S4?

projectmx

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
I hope so also I am nervouse about leaving blackberry because I still feel their OS is amazing but they still don't have the apps I want

projectmx

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm still on a torch 9800 :) love it but its over 2.5 years old and seen battles with mountain sides, concrete, beer, water and other things lol so I want to upgrade but the plans with bell are a complete joke so I'm going with wind and as much as I would love a z10 or z30 I don't think you can use talktone or google voice (which I want so I can always call my family stateside), voxer, and the audobon guides. I'm not a big fan of itunes and iphone so I figured I would look into getting an android phone.

projectmx

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
If I knew for sure the audobon guides would work well on the nexus7 and if the z10/30 had talkatone and voxer I'd get the bb phone and android tablet and be very happy but I can't find confirmation on those apps for those devices lol so I bought the tablet online and I'm hoping for the best now I need to figure out the phone situation

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
If I knew for sure the audobon guides would work well on the nexus7 and if the z10/30 had talkatone and voxer I'd get the bb phone and android tablet and be very happy but I can't find confirmation on those apps for those devices lol so I bought the tablet online and I'm hoping for the best now I need to figure out the phone situation

Have you narrowed it down more, or have you decided on a device?

projectmx

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
I really want the xperia z1 (about 13 gb of usable storage plus another 60-63gb with a card for music, pics and whatever else and it has a great camera) but way to expensive unless I go with bell and pay through the nose for enough data to use it. The s4 is a great phone too but only about 8gb of useable storage which is a short coming and also expensive off contract. So I was thinking nexus 5 but I read an article on here saying motox was much better and goes on sale today.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If I knew for sure the audobon guides would work well on the nexus7

I can confirm for you that the Audubon Guides work fine on the 2012 N7 (at least, the Birds one and the Butterflies one). They're not the slickest apps in the world, but they should be fine for what you need. You'll want to download the entire database so that you don't have to rely on an internet connection while out in the field--there should be an option for that in the app's preferences.

projectmx

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks good to know, I've seen their plant apps and they are decent, good for a quick field refference. Now to just get talkatone and viber taken care of :)

projectmx

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
Stick with the phone you have now. Nothing wrong with it. I personally used that same type years ago and it worked fine.
the phone I have now won't work with wind mobile so that is one issue, also I can't make it a hot spot so my tablet will not be as useful in the field as I would like. lastly it is almost 3 years old so it freezes up a lot, it isn't the phones fault electronics are really designed to make it the long haul.

I think I will just order a nexus 5 in the next few days, its the only one that is affordable, has great specs and works both with wind mobile and At&t when I cross the boarder and pop my other sim card in.