iphone user looking to cross over to the droid side

Gregory Muir

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I am a big fan of the iphone, a skeptic won over by the quality of the ipod touch, then upgrading to the 4s. I was very happy.

IOS5 was the peak and it was downhill from there. IOS6 ruined several good things and then IOS7 was Apple saying "We're never going to let you have your old iphone experience back." Literally, the product is no longer available for sale. I can buy some crappy, flat-design monstrosity that's called an iphone but it ain't what I liked. Apple's curator attitude was also a mixed blessing. When it worked, you had a device that was put together intuitively with a snappy interface and no drama. When it didn't work, you had bad decisions rammed down your throat.

The shiny really wore off as familiarity allowed me to discover serious design oversights that were never addressed like random battery drains, mail accounts glitching for no reason requiring deleting and adding them back in again, the draconian shackling of all media inputs to the itunes bloatware, etc. I'm also not a fan of how the hardware eventually breaks due to design oversights. The damn charge port keeps shorting out cutting audio outputs. When they redesigned the port, they went with some proprietary crap instead of standardizing.

I've used android phones in the past and been mostly frustrated with them. Keyboards felt glitchy, interface seemed more obtuse, and the phone seems to get in the way of itself a lot more. Mostly I've seen Galaxies. Troubleshooting my girlfriend's two phones shows that the other manufacturers can give me just as many headaches as iphone.

I'm looking to buy a phone, not a religion. I've been told good things about the moto x but am not sure what a good Android for me would be. I don't care about chasing the latest features. I'd like a phone whose actual case is tough enough I don't need to go to Otterbox. I don't know if anyone makes a decent durable Android. Aside from that, I'm looking for a decent build quality so it won't break just sitting in my pocket, good battery life, a minimum of BS from the software end so I'm not stuck troubleshooting my stupid phone for hours on end, and zero bloatware forced upon me by the carrier. There's no bloatware on my 4S from Sprint but my girlfriend's android loaded a ton of crap from Boost when she activated it. Don't know if there's any way around that with other carriers. I would like it to be an unlocked phone so I have options. My 4S is locked and of course they don't drop the monthly fee after it's been "paid off" at the end of two years. I can get another phone and lock myself in for another two years but I'd much rather just run a phone for longer and not pay the extra.

I prize stability and reliability over glitz and bling. Cutting edge that doesn't work right isn't worth a damn. I'm looking at you, Siri. Wonderful idea but is still essentially half-broken and never got any better from the day it was launched. Works just well enough that you want to rely on it and just badly enough that you want to throw the phone through a wall.

Any recommendations?

Last edited by a moderator:

Vsweety

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Reading through your palaver I'd say any flagship Android phone is going to be salvation for you.
Within a month or two of getting your new Android device you'll (virtually) hit yourself for not changing over years ago.

King of the hill in Android land right now is the Samsung Galaxy Note 3, imo.

However, it's successor, the Note 4, is expected in September.

Paul Ellis1

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Hi, like you I came from the iPhone and chose a note 2. Great to introduce me to android but I wanted a happy ground between ios simplicity and Android oem bloat. I'm now using a moto x and am very happy with it. Once I found suitable replacements to the few apple services I used the only thing I miss now is the camera but only slightly.

Posted via Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Moto X is probably the way to go--excellent overall in terms of performance, smoothness, camera, battery life, and ergonomics. Not much in terms of bloat, but it does depend on which carrier you get it from. The Nexus 5 would also be a good choice in terms of its sheer power, the stock Android experience with NO bloat, and the quick system updates--but the battery isn't the best. The Nexus 5 may also be a little more delicate than other phones, but I always take drop tests with a grain of salt--any high tech device can break fairly easily if you drop it the right way, so if you're concerned about durability, get a case.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. I would suggest either the Moto X or the Nexus 5 as well. Any major flagship will have carrier bloat. No avoiding that, unless switching to Att or T-Mobile and getting a Google phone edition.

From a Carbon M8 and AC Forums app

Gregory Muir

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Ok, durability remains bad, so I'm stuck with cases. I take it these screens still require protection? I've seen enough ruined iphone screens that I'm always wanting something to keep that glass from touching anything.

Gregory Muir

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. I would suggest either the Moto X or the Nexus 5 as well. Any major flagship will have carrier bloat. No avoiding that, unless switching to Att or T-Mobile and getting a Google phone edition.

From a Carbon M8 and AC Forums app

What makes the google phone edition different? You mean this?
Google Experience device - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And a Moto G is Google Experience but for developing markets and Moto X is high-end but not an experience device?

I see the new Windows phones even ship with antivirus. Really?! As if PC's weren't bad enough, now this same crud is making it over to mobile. And it was shovelware from Verizon including NFL apps and other trash that can only be disabled, never uninstalled.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Ok, durability remains bad, so I'm stuck with cases. I take it these screens still require protection? I've seen enough ruined iphone screens that I'm always wanting something to keep that glass from touching anything.

Some people go with screen protectors, some don't. There are glass ones so that you don't lose the feel of glass while still having your screen protected.
Otherwise, many cases come with integrated screen protectors.

Oliver Telfor

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
The next generation glass is still scratchable, though? Because if so, protection is essential.

If you have a screen protector on, glass or otherwise, it still can be scratched. But you just replace the screen protector if it gets scratched - instead of having to get a new screen which can be quite pricey.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
What makes the google phone edition different? You mean this?
Google Experience device - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And a Moto G is Google Experience but for developing markets and Moto X is high-end but not an experience device?

I see the new Windows phones even ship with antivirus. Really?! As if PC's weren't bad enough, now this same crud is making it over to mobile. And it was shovelware from Verizon including NFL apps and other trash that can only be disabled, never uninstalled.

Yes those are it. You can see actual pictures on Play using a desktop PC. Basically, they are Vanilla Android on a Flagship device. They are unlocked, and due to that, there is much less bloat.

The next generation glass is still scratchable, though? Because if so, protection is essential.

Still scratchable, yes, but more scratch resistant than glass from earlier cell variants.

Gregory Muir

May 24, 2014
Visit site
So, Moto X is the way to go. If I buy the unlocked phone, which one has the best compromise between price and coverage? I don't use air time as much as I use mobile data. I'd like to get the bill down to under $50 a month if possible.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If I buy the unlocked phone, which one has the best compromise between price and coverage?

It really depends on where you live. You should be able to look at the providers' coverage maps on their websites:

Coverage Locator
T-Mobile’s 4G Network | Check Your Coverage | T-Mobile Blazing Fast 4G Coverage
AT&T Maps - Wireless Coverage Map for Voice and Data Coverage from AT&T
http://coverage.sprint.com/IMPACT.jsp?

Or you can also check a couple of crowdsourced coverage maps:
RootMetrics Coverage Map
Unbiased Wireless Network Information. From people just like you - Sensorly
3G and 4G LTE Cell Coverage Map - OpenSignal

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Hello Gregory and welcome to the forums at AC!

I agree with Diddy on this one. 👇
Moto X is probably the way to go--excellent overall in terms of performance, smoothness, camera, battery life, and ergonomics. Not much in terms of bloat, but it does depend on which carrier you get it from. The Nexus 5 would also be a good choice in terms of its sheer power, the stock Android experience with NO bloat, and the quick system updates--but the battery isn't the best. The Nexus 5 may also be a little more delicate than other phones, but I always take drop tests with a grain of salt--any high tech device can break fairly easily if you drop it the right way, so if you're concerned about durability, get a case.

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol