I'm new to this forum, primarily because I'm a hold-out in the smart phone arena, still using my Moto Razr (no kidding) from 2008. Still works awesome and only costs me about $22 a month. But, I'm seriously thinking about migrating over to an Android phone and have been picking the brains of the Verizon reps. The plans can be confusing and I'm convinced that all carriers will screw you monthly so that we can have the benefits of these devices. Contract vs no contract, pay as you go, etc.. With all the confusion, it really boils down to a simple question: What method have you found to get the most from your money regarding smart phones? Are we stuck with Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile and Sprint for decent (debatable) service versus a pay-as-you-go carrier like Boost, Virgin, Metro PCS, etc...? What can I do to get the benefits of a smart phone without having to bend over every month? Thanks.
    10-08-2014 05:30 AM
    Welcome to the forums. I am not very proficient with plans, but I can get someone who is.
    10-08-2014 08:53 AM
    Cricket (on ATT towers now) is pretty good. $55 all in gets 10 GB data per month and unlimited talk and text. The prepaid services offer much better value than any postpaid plan.

ETA: and you can buy any phone you want (ATT locked or unlocked gsm phone) to use with Cricket or Gophone or a T-Mobile MVNO.
    10-08-2014 09:12 AM
    I'm new to this forum, primarily because I'm a hold-out in the smart phone arena, still using my Moto Razr (no kidding) from 2008. Still works awesome and only costs me about $22 a month. But, I'm seriously thinking about migrating over to an Android phone and have been picking the brains of the Verizon reps. The plans can be confusing and I'm convinced that all carriers will screw you monthly so that we can have the benefits of these devices. Contract vs no contract, pay as you go, etc.. With all the confusion, it really boils down to a simple question: What method have you found to get the most from your money regarding smart phones? Are we stuck with Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile and Sprint for decent (debatable) service versus a pay-as-you-go carrier like Boost, Virgin, Metro PCS, etc...? What can I do to get the benefits of a smart phone without having to bend over every month? Thanks.
    Welcome to Android Central! Choosing a carrier can be pretty hard. Do they ensure to get their money for you wanting a smartphone? Yeah .. but it benefits you as well .. having the internet in your pocket is very awesome .

I would suggest checking out Home | RootMetrics -- This site will allow you to punch in your area and see how each carrier is "ranked" when it comes to coverage, reliability, and speed. Unbiased Wireless Network Information. From people just like you - Sensorly is another site that does this as well.

I want to ask some questions to see what your needs are since choosing a carrier can vary greatly depending on the needs/wants & budget of the individual.

1. Do you travel a lot or just on occasion?
    2. How much are you looking to spend?
    3. What are you planning to do on the smart phone?
    10-08-2014 09:20 AM
    Welcome to the forums and to smartphones! Like the guys above say, it's all about how YOUR lifestyle. If you travel around the world, T-Mo's plans might be the right ones for you since they scrap the data roaming fees in most countries (and you can use said data to call back home 'for free'), but if you only use your device on WiFi for data and just use it on the network for calls and messages, you might be better off with a pay-as-you-go deal, but again, depending on how much you actually talk or text.
    10-08-2014 09:55 AM
    I travel off and on for work and pleasure so having the Internet in my back pocket is a real plus.

I'm a cheap bast*rd so if I can spend ~$100.00 per month for three phones (the family), that would work. I'd obviously buy the phones and find a carrier to handle the voice, text, and data. I just don't want to pay +$200 per month (Verizon) if I can spend less and get similar service.

I do a lot of voice calling, but I think I'd be texting, using the phone for driving direction, Google search, etc...
    I am a developer so having access to a command prompt to play around with Android would be fun too.
    10-08-2014 09:58 AM
    I travel off and on for work and pleasure so having the Internet in my back pocket is a real plus.

I'm a cheap bast*rd so if I can spend ~$100.00 per month for three phones (the family), that would work. I'd obviously buy the phones and find a carrier to handle the voice, text, and data. I just don't want to pay +$200 per month (Verizon) if I can spend less and get similar service.

I do a lot of voice calling, but I think I'd be texting, using the phone for driving direction, Google search, etc...
    I am a developer so having access to a command prompt to play around with Android would be fun too.
    On Cricket you can get 5 lines for $100. Or the 3 for $100 or less depending on the plans you pick. Native ATT coverage which works for 95% of people, give or take.
    10-08-2014 11:50 AM
    mrsmumbles - Thanks for the pointer to Cricket! Two questions: How many folks here have experience using Cricket and what percentage of the negative reviews are a part of the whole? Do most people find that it works well for them (or that it doesn't)?
    10-08-2014 12:44 PM
    Welcome to Android Central!
    10-08-2014 05:11 PM
    mrsmumbles - Thanks for the pointer to Cricket! Two questions: How many folks here have experience using Cricket and what percentage of the negative reviews are a part of the whole? Do most people find that it works well for them (or that it doesn't)?
    I use them. A lot of complaints are related to the old CDMA Cricket. I use them and they're fine, but the CS isn't good at all. Best to minimize contact. If you decide on them, there's a dealer on eBay who sells Sims and a free month.
    BRnPA likes this.
    10-08-2014 05:23 PM
    Welcome to Android Central!
    10-08-2014 11:41 PM
    Thanks for the update on Cricket. Yes, I would be interested in that Ebay contact. Can you PM me the information (or post it here if that's allowed)?
    10-09-2014 04:23 PM
    Welcome to the forums at Android Central!
    10-09-2014 06:17 PM
    Thanks for the update on Cricket. Yes, I would be interested in that Ebay contact. Can you PM me the information (or post it here if that's allowed)?
    Oh, I would but I haven't used him. If you google the Cricket eBay seller you may find him mentioned elsewhere. Sorry I can't be more help with that.
    10-09-2014 09:04 PM
    Welcome to the forums at Android Central! 🙋

I see you've been getting plenty of info from other members.

I would like to ad that you should check which carrier has better coverage around the places you live, work and play.

As for me, I have Sprint, been with them for years. I have a grandfathered family plan. 5 people in the plan, each pays around $56-$60 per month, taxes included.
    We have unlimited data, unlimited texts, only 1560 minutes a month, but we never use them because is unlimited to any mobile or from any mobile, and unlimited nights and weekends, nights are from 7 pm to 7 am.
    Their customer service has also gotten way better. And the 4G LTE coverage we get everywhere we go is pretty good.
    BRnPA likes this.
    10-10-2014 07:52 AM