Now that Android 5.0 is being released, I finally see Android as a solid option for myself, but have a few questions that I hope you fine folks might be able to help out with. I'm looking at one of two phones, the Note 4 or the Nexus 6. I'm currently using a Lumia 1520 and would like to stick with the larger profile. I'm really intrigued by the Note 4, but given the crappy upgrade cycle that has plagued Android devices in the past, are the rumors of it getting Lollipop by years end legit, or still just rumors that have not much weight behind it. Also, I've always heard that vanilla Android is the way to go, and really like the idea of getting on Lollipop much earlier with the Nexus 6. Seeing as how they're almost identical spec wise, sans expandable memory and Samsung's own stuff, they seem like a pretty even decision.

tl;dr - Coming from WP 8.1, is it worth jumping on a Note 4 now and hope they update to 5.0 soon, or wait for the Nexus 6 with that "pure google experience"?
    10-21-2014 08:23 PM
    Welcome to the forums.
    My own personal view is the Note 4 will get Lollipop, question is when. I think by years end isn't very feasible. Samsung has to build their own version, test it, then send to carriers, who will modify, test then release. HTC said within 90 days of release. That puts it about late January or early February for them. I am not inclined to believe Samsung can match that. I am thinking Mid Spring at best. I would wait and see if you can play with both to see which one you like better though.

Sent from an AOSP M8
    10-21-2014 08:42 PM
    Hello swimmer160!
    Welcome to the forums at AC!

I agree with Golfdriver97, but since I have the GS5, I would definitely get the Note 4, especially for all the stuff you can do with the S-Pen.
    Samsung will have to update its high end phones (read Note 4 and GS5) pretty soon or else.
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
    10-22-2014 03:55 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! As a Nexus fan, I'd go for the Nexus 6. I like the prompt updates from Google as well as the lack of preinstalled bloat.
    10-22-2014 04:44 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! As a Nexus fan, I'd go for the Nexus 6. I like the prompt updates from Google as well as the lack of preinstalled bloat.
    I concur. Will be grabbing one for myself upon release.

Mav.

Sent from the future on my Sprint Tri-Band LG G3.
    10-22-2014 09:45 PM
    So I hear you guys from both sides, definitely stuff to take into consideration. Thanks.
    10-24-2014 11:09 PM
    So I hear you guys from both sides, definitely stuff to take into consideration. Thanks.
    The thing to really consider is each and every device has pros and cons. I can easily point out one pro and con for each. Pro for Samsung: it will sell like hotcakes and finding accessories for it will not take a lot of effort. Con: the updates will take a while. Samsung gets it from Google, modifies it for their devices and apps, tests, works out bugs, and tests some more. then releases to carriers who will do the same thing. Conversely this is the Pro for a Nexus: you wait...a week, maybe 2 after Google releases it. Con: since the OS is minimal, you often have to build with apps things you would like your phone to do that other OEMs will do out of the box.

Overall, the best thing to do is hold each one for as long as you can. Who knows, one might surprise you, as in you might be like 'I really don't like the way (insert device) feels.' Another thing is, at each upgrade keep an open mind about different OEMs. A little over a year ago, I would have laughed if anyone would have told me I would be using an HTC device and be enjoying it.
    10-24-2014 11:36 PM
    The thing to really consider is each and every device has pros and cons. I can easily point out one pro and con for each. Pro for Samsung: it will sell like hotcakes and finding accessories for it will not take a lot of effort. Con: the updates will take a while. Samsung gets it from Google, modifies it for their devices and apps, tests, works out bugs, and tests some more. then releases to carriers who will do the same thing. Conversely this is the Pro for a Nexus: you wait...a week, maybe 2 after Google releases it. Con: since the OS is minimal, you often have to build with apps things you would like your phone to do that other OEMs will do out of the box.

Overall, the best thing to do is hold each one for as long as you can. Who knows, one might surprise you, as in you might be like 'I really don't like the way (insert device) feels.' Another thing is, at each upgrade keep an open mind about different OEMs. A little over a year ago, I would have laughed if anyone would have told me I would be using an HTC device and be enjoying it.
    Right on, I've been following Android for some time now, and I've grown accustomed to the different designs and skins. I'm intrigued with what Samsung has done with the Note 4, and I've had good friends that have had them and swear by them. On the other hand I understand the frustration of TouchWiz and what it does to the OS, which I've heard isn't quite as bad as with 4.4 kitkat. With the nexus line though, I always hear how the vanilla experience is as good as you can get, but the hardware has always lacked. With the N6 however, it seems they have done a complete 180 on the hardware front, and put out something pretty spec heavy. Definitely interested in both, I guess we'll see what I end up with.
    10-26-2014 02:39 AM
    Welcome to AC!
    10-27-2014 08:47 PM
    Well, I ended up going with a Note 4. Picked it up this morning, and I've been loading and messing around all day. There's quite a bit to get into.
    STARGATE likes this.
    10-28-2014 01:35 AM
    Well, I ended up going with a Note 4. Picked it up this morning, and I've been loading and messing around all day. There's quite a bit to get into.
    Great device!
    Let us know what you think about it, after playing with it for a few days.
    10-28-2014 06:05 AM