View Poll Results: Keep the S4 or get a New Phone?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep the SG S4

0 0%
  • Get the SG S5

0 0%
  • Get the SG S6

1 25.00%
  • Get the LG G4

2 50.00%
  • Wait for the SG S7

1 25.00%
    Hello everyone! I've recently visited this site and got informed on quite a few things! I'm very glad that I stumbled upon this forum! I'm also a long time Samsung Galaxy S4 user as well for any S4 users out there!

At the moment, I'm unsure as to what to do regarding my S4. I've had it for over two years now and it's served me very well in many respects -- battery life, camera, size (is literally perfect for my big hands), quad-core processor, etc. I've been content with this phone since Day 1. In fact, I could very well likely be content with the S4 for one more year before deciding to switch to a new phone. However, the recent issue with the power button not properly turning on (even with reinserting battery, have to press button multiple times until phone turns on) has me somewhat worried. While I'm still satisfied with the phone, I've recently had my eye on a few phones for quite a while.

I've noticed that the S6 improves in most areas, but that a non-removable battery and the absence of expandable storage has me reluctant to make the leap of faith.

The S5, with the water-resistant & dust-resistant features, looks to have a slightly better camera and processor, which is a plus for me. But looking at it and the S4, they're pretty similar, but I would be fine switching to this until the Samsung Galaxy S7 comes around in 2016.

I've had my eye on the LG G4 for quite a while, and I have to say that it offers really good features to beat: the bigger display, better camera, a 6-core processor, and the storage. The 5.5-inch size has me a bit hesitant, along with the fact that I've never used an LG phone before. However, I feel that with time, I may come to not only get used to, but really like this phone.

So ultimately, I'm really at a crossroads with deciding what phone to stick with, especially with 2016 coming up. While there hasn't been a set date for the release of the Samsung Galaxy S7, I really feel as though I can stick it out with the S4 until it arrives. The S7 could possibly stump all of these phones, but no one knows that at this time. Moreover, waiting for the S7 would leave my phone to be well out-of-date against the recent smartphones.

I would like to know what you guys think I should do in this situation! I honestly don't know where to go with this, considering that I really value battery life, camera, good processor, removable battery, and the expansion of internal storage/microSD. Should I continue with the S4, look to either the S5 or S6, get the LG G4, or wait for the next Samsung Galaxy: S7?

I also look forward to interacting and discussing much with you guys as well!!
    06-28-2015 02:14 AM
    Hello and welcome to Android Central! Enjoy your time and experience here on the AC and hope you find what you're looking for.
    06-28-2015 02:39 AM
    I'd say wait. The S4 remains a perfectly serviceable device in the grand scheme of things. Rumor has it that Samsung will be rolling out their own ARM architecture within a year or so, so the S7 should see the benefits of a Exynos that isn't built from off the shelf components. Same goes for Qualcomm assuming Samsung goes back to them. I doubt they'll bring back removable storage and batteries in the face of how well the S6 is selling.

If you do value these things overall all else, I'd wait for whatever LG is supposed to have in stock for us this year. Provided that fails. We should be at a time where next generation flaghip rumors start solidifying, and you can decide from there.

tl;dr: Keep the S4, see what next year has in stock. Should be quite excellent.
    06-28-2015 02:52 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! Glad to have you.
    06-28-2015 05:56 AM
    Hello and welcome to Android C! 🙋
    Many of us here are thinking 'What phone shall I get?', even though our existing ones are perfectly good.

Posted via the Android Central App
    06-28-2015 06:31 AM
    Hi, welcome to the forums!
    06-28-2015 06:49 AM
    Welcome to the forums! If there's a phone you like then go for it. Otherwise, stick it out as long as you can until you have no choice but to repair or replace the device. Don't worry about what is coming out next year...new devices are always being released and no one can predict whether next gen phones are going to blow the current gen out of the water.
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
    06-30-2015 09:52 AM
    I recommend the GS6 its a great device all around and the GS7 won't be out for another 9 months of course the Note 5 will be out in about 4 months and that will no doubt be a monster worth looking at.
    06-30-2015 08:15 PM
    Welcome to the forums. There is always something new on the horizon. Waiting will usually keep you doing just that; waiting.
    07-02-2015 08:34 AM
    Welcome to the forums!

I had the S5, I wasn't crazy about it, but it was ok. Specs on the S7 should be leaking soon, and the time for release is close, but at that point, you have a lot of time to wait. I might myself wait to see what is coming out if I didn't have to have a phone now, but then I would make my decision then. I've seen people waiting 2 years because each time they decide they want to wait until the next one comes out and they are waiting until their phone dies.
    07-02-2015 11:59 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! I voted for the G4. If removable battery and microSD slot are important to you, this is the phone to get now. Most reviews I've read make it seem like it doesn't feel as big as it really is.

You might also consider the ASUS Zenfone 2, which for $299 gives you 4 GB of RAM, 64 GB of internal storage, and a microSD slot (but no removable battery). It's a pretty impressive value. I've been using one for the past couple of months, and it's been a pretty solid performer. Plus, ASUS has really been paying attention and rolling out multiple updates to improve things.
    07-04-2015 07:29 PM
    Hello and welcome to the forums at Android Central!

The GS4 is still a good phone, the GS5 is definitely way better; I know because I've had both.
    Now that I have the GS6 Edge I can tell you that's the way to go.

However, if you're really interested on the LG G4, the overall size of the phone isn't that much bigger than the GS5.

Now, if you really don't have a need for a phone at the moment. You could wait to see what the GS7 is going to be like in just a few months.

Either way, you'll get a great device, good luck!

Sent From my Gold Platinum Galaxy S6 Edge
    07-04-2015 10:02 PM