New to Android from Blackberry - Help choosing a phone.

Doggerz

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
So my last 2 phones were the Z10 (LCD) and Z30 (AMOLED) - and I really like the look of the LCD screen better. At night time in a dark room the LCD dims lower than the AMOLED. In bright sunlight it shows up better. So finding phones that had these screens led me to

Moto-X Pure Edition
Sony Xperia Z5 Premium

Also on my list is a camera that just works. That can take a picture fast. Blackberry cameras have always been horrid. I know that the new Nexus 6P and Samsung Note 5 are suppose to have pretty great cameras but they don't have the screen I'm looking for.

Neither of the phones on my list have wireless charging, which I've always wanted to try by the bedside but that isn't a dealbreaker.

One thing I did love about my Z30 is that it had amazing stereo speakers. Having great speakers isn't as high on the list as the type of screen and the quality of the camera though, but that is something else I'd like in a phone.

Are there any other phones that I would meet what I'm wanting and should be added to my list of 2 phones I'm currently looking at? Also is there any real reason to steer away from either of the two phones I've picked out?

As a Blackberry person this is a huge sea of choices. I haven't gone with the Priv at this point because it got rid of the great speakers and went down to one speaker on the left. The keyboard is so small compared to my old BBOS phones that I can't touch type with it. It looks great, but its priced high and also doesn't have the LCD screen on it.

Some people have said AMOLED screens have improved and can get darker in a dark room to be easier on the eyes and also brighten up outside to not wash out but looking at a lot of AMOLED reviews I'm still seeing these complaints. I think Apple still uses LCD?

Anyway, I'd really love ALL input on what to try out as my introduction to Android. I'd really appreciate any time you take to point out where I might be wrong on these 2 phones, or to suggest a brand i haven't thought of, or features that these may lack that I wish I had. Also maybe its worth going for a Note5 as a first android? Everything I see keeps leading back to that phone even though it has the AMOLED screen. Is there a good phone for beginners or is android pretty much android? Are some phone setups just hard to learn? Thanks!

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Or if you want to start with pure Android, look at the Google Nexus devices.

Welcome to the forums. :)

OceanView

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
If you want a great camera that is fast and easy to use and also have a great screen, you have to take a look at the Note 5. It simply is the best phone out there with those features.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! How about the Nexus 5X? LCD screen, excellent camera. No stereo speakers or wireless charging (although USB-C charging is pretty fast).

omega supreme

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
well if camera is what you're interested in then look no further than the lg v10 which they made that the strongest feature... i'm fairly new to android myself coming off a z10 last week and i went with the lg g stylo which can be described as a hybrid of the note 5 and g4... so far i like it and it has a decent lcd screen... best part about it is it is under $200 with very nice features... t-mobile has the better version of this phone.

Posted via the Android Central App on LG G Stylo

Last edited:

sydneycooper1979

Moderator Sergeant at Arms
Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I would go with the moto x pure edition. The screen is big and beautiful. You can customize the look, and it's pretty much pure android. Also motorola adds some really neat features that put it over the top for me. The camera is decent on the moto x and historically the motos get updated in a timely manner.

Doggerz

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
The Note 5 seems to be an all around recommendation from people. It's in my top 3. I really wanted a phone with an LCD screen instead of AMOLED this time, that is the only thing holding me back on that one. But my wife is also looking to switch from her Z30 to an Android phone and the Note 5 is almost certainly the one she's going to get.

Doggerz

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
Thanks to all of you for the warm welcome to Android Central!!

I noticed that I got a comment on the phones that made my final consideration except for the Sony X5 Premium. It seems to have a lot of what I'm looking for, stacks up well with the Moto-X Pure and the Nexus 6P. Is there something with the OS that makes it not as user friendly as other phones?

Basically I think I'm going to jump in with one of these phones and my wife will get the Note 5 (she's more sure of her choice).. I may choose a Nexus, a Motorolla or that Sony as my first android device.