Hello Everyone!

I just joined Android Central to get a bit more knowledge and information on android OS', which hopefully will aid in my future mobile device purchase. I have been a fruit phone user for some time now, and don't upgrade too often. Heck I am still using my old iPhone 4 (no S, just the plain 4). LOL. But the time has come...

I've become somewhat tired of staring at the same screen layout OS for the past 10 years, and would like to try something new. Android has piqued my interest and I'm hoping I can gleam some tips, tricks and opinions from everyone here on how iOS and Android differ, what features I'll "miss", what features I will gain and/or be able to replicate. Also learn about quirks that certain manufacturer's have on their phones and determine who's offer's the "best" experience for a new to Android person.

Some of the things I'm trying to confirm are things I've gotten used to in the iOs, like visual voice mail, how notifications are displayed when the phone is off/locked, etc..

Any former iPhone users here able to give input?
    thanks.
    12-04-2015 05:11 PM
    Visual voicemail works. Motorola has ambient display, but it isn't identical to the notifications showing on the screen when the screen is off.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-04-2015 05:17 PM
    Hello welcome to Android Central! Visual voice-mail is available but you may have to download an app from the play store. Something to keep in mind is that iOS and Android are completely different and function in different ways. If you are trying to make your Android function like an iPhone, you may not be happy with it. That being said, many things about Android can be customized and tailored to your tastes. Hope you enjoy!
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-04-2015 05:47 PM
    Thank you. And yes I do realize they are completely different and operate in a slightly different fashions to complete the same or similar tasks. I was curious on the visual voice mail as my research uncovered some did not have it, or it was unavailable. I did read however it may be available in stock Marshmallow. Or I just download my carriers VM app as you say.

I will check out the Moto ambient display a bit more then. I'll admit that is one thing I DO enjoy about iOS is it's ability to let me know of a missed call, VM or text without having to turn the phone on into the home screen. It's good to hear moto offers something along those lines.

I realize many things may operate differently and that is part of the enticement and excitement. There are however somethings I've gotten too used too that would make it difficult if there weren't work arounds. Which at least these 2 worries there ARE work arounds.
    12-04-2015 06:37 PM
    Hello AKS4, welcome to the forums!

There are different ways to get your notifications on the lock screen. That's the best thing about Android, you can decide which one is better for you. Some of them will depend on the OEM, others will be stock Android and the Play Store is full of third party apps with different layouts and features.

My favorite is Moto Display (not ambient display). The only problem is that it's only available with Motorola devices. Tell us what you value more in a new phone and we'll try to help you to decide what to buy And after that we'll talk about launchers, widgets, icon packs, taskers...
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-04-2015 07:51 PM
    Hello and welcome to the forums at Android Central!

What phone will you get to test Android?

Sent From my Gold Platinum Galaxy S6 Edge
    12-05-2015 12:11 AM
    Hello and welcome to Android Central!🙋
    I started using iOS a few months ago, alongside Android and WP devices. The stand-out feature of Android is its customisability. Enjoy.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-05-2015 05:22 AM
    Welcome to the forums! There are options for you if you looking to make the jump to Android. Some great suggestions have been provided above - let us know if you have any questions.
    12-05-2015 10:01 AM
    Thanks for the tips thus far guys. Yeah part of the appeal is the customization possibilities with Android, over being limited to what iOS and WP ships with. To answer some of your alls questions:

The features most important to me in a phone are... good phone/contacts interface, decent enough camera that can do some manual settings like ISO to better capture night shots like the Northern Lights up here. A good music player interface, not jumbo in size but not small like my current iPhone 4. something that can do multi tasking easy enough, not necessarily split screen but allows apps to run in background when swapping between them From my recent researching I think I'd like to go with an as "stock" as possible device, limiting unnecessary add-ons and whiz bang features I might never use. The iOS features I'd like to replicate or "keep" are being able to see notifications via the lock screen. Also if possible run the "forward/Pause/Play" of the music player from the lock screen as well. I'm sure like notifications, there is an app for that.

As for what phone I am contemplating making this jump with... I haven't yet decided. To be fair, I just knew my current device was/is dying and in need of replacement. I initially got turned onto the One Plus X, but lack of LTE connection bands, and some first run issues have me swaying away from it. I've also considered the Moto X Pure (both 2014 and 2015), the Nexus 5X and even HTC A9.
    12-06-2015 06:02 PM
    Hey, welcome to AC for what it's worth, you can't go wrong with a Nexus device - especially the new models. Download manual camera and enjoy tweaking
    Laura Knotek and AKS4 like this.
    12-07-2015 02:20 AM
    Welcome to the forums. I like the 5X. The best device I have had to date. The only one that comes close for me, is the 2013 Moto X.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-07-2015 10:10 AM
    Hi there, welcome to the forums!

I use an iPhone side by side with my personal Android phone and while it can take some time to get used to, the same things are there, just in different places maybe. One thing I hated about iOS was, in fact, the notification 'pop ups' on the lockscreen, and unfortunately, that made it into Android in Lollipop, so you won't miss that I guess (can be turned off though). Notifications are much better handled in Android IMHO; at least you can dismiss them all at once from the notification bar instead of having to go through one by one or day by day.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-07-2015 11:59 AM
    Hello and Welcome. If you are wanting to switch from an Apple device, I would strongly suggest you get a Nexus or Moto device. If you like small screens there isn't much choice available these days but the Moto G (2015 model) is an excellent bet and the battery life is stellar on it. Also the Nexus 5X is a very very good device. If you are okay with slightly older device then Expansys USA has the Nexus 5 refurbished 32GB for $150. Good luck.
    Laura Knotek and AKS4 like this.
    12-07-2015 01:50 PM
    Welcome to Android Central!
    12-07-2015 03:50 PM
    Worldspy, or anyone else. How do you think the 2015 Moto G compares to the outgoing Moto X (2014) hardware wise? the Moto X 2014 has the older flagship SD 801 AC chip, whereas the moto G has the newer lower line 410. Judging by Phone arena, aside from the camera capabilites I'd be better going with last years Moto X than this years Moto G, or so it seems.
    12-09-2015 04:42 PM
    Worldspy, or anyone else. How do you think the 2015 Moto G compares to the outgoing Moto X (2014) hardware wise? the Moto X 2014 has the older flagship SD 801 AC chip, whereas the moto G has the newer lower line 410. Judging by Phone arena, aside from the camera capabilites I'd be better going with last years Moto X than this years Moto G, or so it seems.
    Hardware on 2014 Moto X is better but battery life on the Moto G 2015 is superb. If you don't mind carrying around an external battery pack, I would pick the 2014 Moto X in a wooden back preferably. Leather wasn't that great IMO.
    But if you are leaning towards the Moto X 2014, I would actually recommend the Nexus 5 over it. Camera is superb, phone is great in hand. The only downside is battery, just like the Moto X and you get the updates as soon as Google pushes them OTA or grab a factory image and flash it if you are impatient like a lot of other Android enthusiasts...
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-09-2015 06:19 PM