Hey! Help an Apple user choose a new phone!

xopeaches

Apr 7, 2016
Visit site
Hey everyone. I'm a current iPhone user and I want a change, so here I am! If you guys had to recommend one Android phone above all others, which one would y'all choose? I've been looking at the Galaxy Note 4 or a Nexus 6, but I'm not entirely sure about either. I like large devices, but smaller is ok too. Other than that I don't really have any 'must haves' for a phone. Got any good suggestions?

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to AC! It is hard to recommend a phone since it really is preference and what you want to do with your device. What are your main needs?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Nexus 6P is the only phone that can be recommended "above all others", although many people are happy with the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge as well. And obviously the Galaxy Note 5 would be a newer, more supported, better phone than the Note 4. If you're on a budget, check out the Nexus 5X.

Smply_Rckless

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
Note 5, Nexus 6, Nexus 6P, Galaxy S6 or 7. LG V10 or G5. There's so many to pick from lol. Can't go wrong w any. I recently left Apple & came back to Android. Picked up a V10. It's a really solid phone

xopeaches

Apr 7, 2016
Visit site
I'm not a power user by any means, I mostly use my phone for browsing online or using apps like tumblr, instagram, etc. I play a few games but nothing super intense. I like the bigger sized screens because on occasion I'll use it to write down notes, stories, that kind of thing. My iPhone 5s does fine for all of these things but I'm just kind of missing Android. I've had an LG G3 and a Galaxy s5 in the past and hated both devices despite enjoying the OS. For some reason they would both overheat to the point of hurting my hands with minimal amount of use and that's just one of my biggest pet peeves. I'd tried every trick under the sun, getting them new batteries, factory resets, replacing old sd cards and nothing worked! Maybe I just had bad luck and got faulty units lol

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
It'd be easier to make a list of phones to avoid: HTC One M8 and M9, Samsung Galaxy S6... and knockoffs :p

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I came from an iPhone 5C. Got my first taste of Android with a Sony Xperia Z3V, Loved it but I killed it after 36 days. So I was back on the 5C for the second half of 2015. Finally bit the bullet ($$$) and went with an LGV10 this past Dec. No complaints at all. All the YT reviews and impressions from members here on AC were spot on. I guess my only regret (small one) was not getting it ~2 weeks earlier, I could have gotten the free 200G SD card and battery+charger.

Its a GOOD problem to have... too many choices, unlike Apple.

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Welcome back from The Dark Side of iOs. ;)
As they say, "Be Together, Not The Same"
You have many, many Android choices.
I am still rocking my 1.5 year old Motorola Nexus 6 and cannot be happier.

Mav. :cool:

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Oh one more thing...
keep on the look out for deals, LG is offering a free battery and charger with the G5. Carriers are offering 2 for 1 deals on phones too.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Hello and welcome to the forums at Android Central!

I definitely agree with Almeuit, but just in general, follow on Assassin Droid's advice.

I have the GS7 edge and love it, it's a great device.

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm not a power user by any means, I mostly use my phone for browsing online or using apps like tumblr, instagram, etc. I play a few games but nothing super intense. I like the bigger sized screens because on occasion I'll use it to write down notes, stories, that kind of thing. My iPhone 5s does fine for all of these things but I'm just kind of missing Android. I've had an LG G3 and a Galaxy s5 in the past and hated both devices despite enjoying the OS. For some reason they would both overheat to the point of hurting my hands with minimal amount of use and that's just one of my biggest pet peeves. I'd tried every trick under the sun, getting them new batteries, factory resets, replacing old sd cards and nothing worked! Maybe I just had bad luck and got faulty units lol

I would say either the Nexus 6P if you want the pure Android experience and a great camera or the Galaxy S7 Edge. Both are really great phones, both have really great cameras, and performance on both is really great. I have owned the 6P myself and liked it. I currently have the Galaxy S7 Edge and I have to say it has been the best phone I have in a long time aside from the 6P.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to AC...

Coming from iPhone I would recommend you go Nexus for a few reasons:
  • You won't have to deal with a "skin" and you can learn the OS for what it is without the inconsistencies that a skinned device might have you picking up on... Your UI will be less encumbered.
  • Best and fastest updates - you want it right from the OS maker as it comes fresh from the oven and you want lengthy support. Nothing else in Androidland is going to deliver an update experience akin to Apple's like a Nexus will.
  • When you are ready to branch out, nothing will give you the power and flexibility to pick and choose ROMs/kernels/mods/what have you. Strongest and fastest 3rd party dev support goes to Nexus. It's like Jailbreak on steroids.

Whatever you choose, if Rooting and Modding is in your future, unlock the bootloader first thing. It's a data loss activity and you don't want any hand wringing later on if you decide you are going commando.

H3aTeRzz

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, based on what you said you needed in a phone, either of those you mentioned are great choices. You could literally, flip a coin and not lose! IMHO.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Hey everyone. I'm a current iPhone user and I want a change, so here I am! If you guys had to recommend one Android phone above all others, which one would y'all choose? I've been looking at the Galaxy Note 4 or a Nexus 6, but I'm not entirely sure about either. I like large devices, but smaller is ok too. Other than that I don't really have any 'must haves' for a phone. Got any good suggestions?

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this!

I'd recommend the Nexus 6P so you can experience Android as Google intended it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol