Possible new user of android

imran_a

Oct 10, 2017
Visit site
Hi All.

Complete newbiew here regarding Android. Been a window mobile fan since it all began years ago. Now that WinMo is dead looking to jump ship to the Nokia 8 or 9 if it gets released.

I have a few questions. Apologies if these seem stupid but i have zero experience with android.

1. My Lumia 930 automatically activates driving mode whenever I drive, does android do this?

2. In driving mode cortana will notify me and give me the option for reading out txt messages, replying back to them, or calling the sender, does android's asistant (does it have one?) do the same?

3. Can a MS Band 2 be used with android? or is there any alternative (fitbit ionic?) that allows you to respond back to notifications? With the band, when I get a txt I can either send a premade reply back or type a reply using the on screen keyboard, any other 'smart watch/device' do that?

4. Do I have to sell my soul and first born to google in order to use an adroid phone? All you ever hear on the winmo side regarding android is android has about as much security as swiss cheese and google slurps any and all data from your phone, is this the case? Im a bit paranoid (nope got nothong to hide!) regarding who sees what on my phone, be thats texts or browsing or songs?

5. Can I use one drive on android? my documents and songs are stored there? is it a relative painless process?

6. Updates, My lumia 930 (even though no longer being developed for) gets updates constantly, not new features but bug fixes, ive read that once you buy an adroid phone your more or less stuck with that os version unless you buy a new phone? What are the updates like?

7. If I buy a phone sim free, am I correct in that software updates will be quicker because there is no service provider customisations to be done?

8. How often does android get updates?

9. How does backup work? can I backup my phone data to my one drive account?

Thanks for any help

Last edited:

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Welcome. :)

I'll answer a few:

5) Yes; I do it myself - on iPhones as well, in fact - and it works fine.

6) I have a 930 myself, running the Creators Update via Insiders Release Preview, and find that software updates are no more frequent than those on Androids running recent versions of the OS. Androids are good for several OS upgrades, until the device is no longer supported; the difference is that it is much easier to install custom ROM versions of later software, than it is to do the equivalent on a WP via registry hacks.

7) You are correct.

Enjoy Android and the forums! :)

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
1. Depends on the phone perhaps. If your car has a bluetooth feature and it connects automatically with the phone then yes, if the phone has Android Auto.

2. Yes. You have the option to enable that. Cortana is available for Android. But I do not know the extent of its capabilities. I understand it's limited compared to Windows version.

3. No idea.

4. No. You can make a dummy Gmail account with no real details if you wish it so.

5. Yes. I use OneDrive.

6. Depends on the manufacturer and the phone model. The cheaper you go, the less likely you will get updates. Flagship phones like the Galaxy S and Notes, Pixel, Lg G and V series, will get 2 years support of OS updates, and up to 3 years of security updates. However this is also carrier dependent. If the carrier decides to delay or not push the update, you're in trouble.

7. In theory. I am not in the US to make a relevant answer in this case.

8. Monthly security updates, yearly OS update.

9. Varies for phone to phone. Basically apps have the capability to backup to Google Play. The rest of the device depends on the manufacturer. There are various cloud services like Google Drive, for example. Samsung has a backup program called SmartSwitch for PC. It can also create backups in the SD card.

imran_a

Oct 10, 2017
Visit site
Thanks guys, good info here :)

Good to see onedrive is a painless experience.
Will be installing cortana on android and lets see what it does :)

It doesnt seem to be all doom and gloom on the android side of the fence, based on what you guys have posted.

Appreciate your help

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums! I will take a stab at your questions in a bit. Trying to answer all those while mobile won't be fun...lol

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Forgot about replying...my apologies.

1. I think Android Auto does this. An extra app, yes, but I think it does so automatically.

2. Android does have an assistant, but I don't think it does this. If your car has an integrated Bluetooth, it should do that without any extra set up.

3. I am not sure

4a. Like @chanchan05 said, you can create a dummy GMail account.
4b. In regard to security, Android can be pretty safe. As long as you load apps from the Play Store or Amazon, you should be ok.

5. Yup, you can use that on Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microsoft.skydrive

6. Updates depend on which device you get. @chanchan05 said it best, it depends on which Android you get. The Pixel will get 2-3 years of OS support and an overlapping 3 years of security updates. Flagship Samsungs tend to do pretty well in updates, along with the LG G and V series running about the same. Beyond that, it's a roll of the dice.

7. In theory, yes. However, the unlocked Samsung flagships were slower in getting updates over carrier branded devices.

8. A Pixel will get monthly security updates. Beyond that, the regularity of updates is variable. Samsung skips a month sometimes, and I am not sure how LG does here.

9. What do you mean by backing up? Photos? Apps? Text messages?

imran_a

Oct 10, 2017
Visit site

On my lumia, I go to backup, (via settings) and it backups my accounts/password/screen layout and chose which app settings/data I want backing up.

Under photos i can chose where to store my pics, either locally or on one drive, plus on messaging theres the option to synch between devices, which backs them up to my onedrive.

Im assuming theres something similar on Android as in I can chose where to store my pics or texts?

Once again, thanks for all the info :)

imran_a

Oct 10, 2017
Visit site

On my lumia, I go to backup, (via settings) and it backups my accounts/password/screen layout and chose which app settings/data I want backing up.

Under photos i can chose where to store my pics, either locally or on one drive, plus on messaging theres the option to synch between devices, which backs them up to my onedrive.

Im assuming theres something similar on Android as in I can chose where to store my pics or texts?

Once again, thanks for all the info :)

Scienceguy Labs

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
3. Can a MS Band 2 be used with android? or is there any alternative (fitbit ionic?)

Yes, the Band 2 will work with Android. Just download the app for it. You might want to look into Android Wear for watches and trackers that utilize the Android OS better than the Band 2 can.

4. Do I have to sell my soul and first born to google in order to use an adroid phone?

I've been a WP/WM user since 2012. Moved to Android in 2015. Android phones will work even if you block Google from getting all of your info. However, I've gone all in with Android, and have found that Google services are top of the line. I might be weird, but I like the notifications and suggestions based on my location. I like having reminders pop up automatically when I pull into Walmart or work. I understand why Google is viewed as a "spy", but I'd rather they have my travel info than a company like Equifax. That company has my personal banking info. Google collects data on you sure, but Equifax has info about me that has the potential to cause much worse damage....and as you know, Equifax was sloppy with my info, not Google. Thanks Equifax. Ha ha

5. Can I use one drive on android? my documents and songs are stored there? is it a relative painless process?

Yes.

6. Updates.

This is where Android also kinda gets a bad wrap. People wrongfully blame Google for slow updates, when the blame should go directly to the manufacturer of the phone itself. I bought a Lenovo Phab 2 Plus last year. Six months later, Lenovo decided to scrap support for the phone. Not Google's fault. I'm using a Huawei device at the moment. Huawei makes really nice phone now days, but they are notorious for falling behind on updates and support. Again, not Google's fault. If you want reliable updates, buy the most recent Nexus devices, the Pixels, and maybe the Essential Phone.

7. If I buy a phone sim free...

I would say that really doesn't matter, considering that updates go through manufacturers first. If they are slow, the update will be slow coming. MS could push out updates to all capable unlocked/non-branded WP devices because those phones were all running the Windows Phone Operating system straight from MS. Most Android manufacturers alter the Android OS just enough to make it their own.....and slow down updates.

8. How often does android get updates?

Refer to number 5. It all depends. There are supposed to be monthly security updates, but again, the manufacturers have to push those out to their phones.

9. How does backup work? can I backup my phone data to my one drive account?

In settings, there is an option to backup your device. I've only done this to my Google Drive account though.

Just what I've learned so far. Hopefully, my info is helpful.

imran_a

Oct 10, 2017
Visit site
Well folks, did the deed! got myself a Nokia 8 Sirocco, thanks for the replies above now for some more 'newbie' questions!

Notifications.
How the heck do you dismiss them from the lock screen? If I slide up or down to dismiss it asks to unlock the phone! I don't want to unlock the phone just dismiss them! also can I not reply back to them from the lock screen? without unlocking the phone, going to the app, and then replying???

On-Screen keyboard.
When I am in sms or WhatsApp, if I compose a reply and click send, the keyboard stays on the screen, I want to auto hide it after a reply and only to appear on screen if I click on the text box to send a reply. Bloody annoying having the keyboard ALWAYS on show, takes up a huge chuck of the screen.

MP3's
I copied all my music from my trusty Lumia 930 into the music folder on the Sirocco, fired up MS Grove and it wont see the music?? Is it the case that MS Grove wont see locally stored music? if so, whats a good mp3 player that someone can recommend.

WhatsApp Backup.
Is it the case that a WhatsApp backup made on a windows phone and saved to onedrive CANNOT be restored onto an android phone? WhatsApp on Android only gives me option to restore from google drive?

Autoupdate of Disabled/Uninstalled Apps
I uninstall a couple of google apps, like, Google Talkback/Google Duo/Google text to speech, but when I go to play store it wants me to update these apps, why??? I have them uninstalled, why does it want me to update apps I no longer have.

If it helps Im on Android 8.0.0, security patch level 1 February 2018

Thanks for help and sorry to drag up an old thread.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Notifications: Swipe left or right. Up or down is to open the notification.

Keyboard: Dependent on the app if it can do this. It has to do with the coding of the app itself.

MS Groove? Are you playing from a PC?

Whatsapp: I don't use it sorry.

Apps: Technically, they aren't uninstalled. They're part of the Google Suite. You can always ignore them.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
That this apparently not compatible with any of my devices. But yes that thing says it plays from OneDrive. I guess it works like Spotify. You upload your songs to OneDrive, then you can download from OneDrive to your phone for offline playback, but they'll be in a proprietary format.

There's supposed to be Google Play Music on the phone. That plays offline content.