New here and to Android

karrieu

Oct 25, 2017
Visit site
Hi all
I'm new here and brand new to Android coming from an iPhone for years. I got the new Galaxy Note 8. This thing makes me feel stupid for sure. Can anyone give me any help, advice, forums other than this one to also join, apps to make phone fun (wallpaper, theme, icon, widgets etc). I'll take anything I can get as I'm sure I have only just begun to scratch the surface on this phone.

Thanks
Karrie

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi all
I'm new here and brand new to Android coming from an iPhone for years. I got the new Galaxy Note 8. This thing makes me feel stupid for sure. Can anyone give me any help, advice, forums other than this one to also join, apps to make phone fun (wallpaper, theme, icon, widgets etc). I'll take anything I can get as I'm sure I have only just begun to scratch the surface on this phone.

Thanks
Karrie

Welcome to the forums, Karrie. We do have a specific Note 8 forum found here: https://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-8/

What questions do you have? You can do a lot with your Android in terms of wallpapers and themes, and I am not referring to the ones that come in the Samsung theme app. Our own columnist, Ara Wagoner wrote this earlier this year: https://www.androidcentral.com/getting-started-android-theming

The above is a lot to absorb, so I would consider waiting until you are used to the new OS (give it a good week) and while you are acclimating, you can read that over a few times.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Welcome aboard! :)

I’m not a Sammie user myself but there’s no harm in installing Google’s Find My Device even if, as I believe is the case, there is a Samsung equivalent. Invaluable app. :)

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums, Karrie! And to the world of Android!

Don't feel bad - platform jumping definitely comes with its own challenges and learning curves! When I switched from BlackBerry to Android, it took me a couple of weeks to adjust.

My advice to you is to watch Note 8 videos on YouTube - lots of reviewers and enthusiasts post videos of tips and tricks that truly help the user get the best experience from their phone.

Also, feel free to ask us for any help. We are here for you!

karrieu

Oct 25, 2017
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the great welcome. YES jumping platforms is very challenging. I've only had this for about a week. So all my questions are just basically the ins and outs of using it. Just to make sure I'm getting full use out of it. All I have basically done on it is try to pretty it up and do ringtones and text and play a few games. It amazes me just how much more and android seems to be able to do technically vs the iPhone.

Sam_Gs7

May 27, 2016
Visit site
:cool: Hi misskar72 : We welcome to ACentral.com

As pointed out by other Gent's above, switch phone brand
and OS it has its adaptation time: In this forum you'll learn

How to operate your Note 8 properly - iO11+Android has
basic same functions..So stick around and post questions

karrieu

Oct 25, 2017
Visit site
Thanks everyone
One question I do have is what is the best text message app for this phone that will give me the ability to swipe left to delete vs the was the standard preloaded app is?

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Hello Karrie, welcome to the forums at Android Central!

You decided on the best phone, congrats!

Sent From Inside the TARDIS with my Note 8

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks everyone
One question I do have is what is the best text message app for this phone that will give me the ability to swipe left to delete vs the was the standard preloaded app is?

I'm quite biased here, but I use Textra (and upgraded to the Pro version - I think it was a dollar CAD); and have been using it for at least four years. When you're in the message inbox screen, you can swipe individual conversations left and right to either delete the messages in said conversation or to make a call to said contact.

Textra is great - you can customize everything; from the messaging notification that comes up on your screen, to the LED/notification per contact. This is my favourite feature; as I have specific contacts set to priority and so I can differentiate between who is trying to contact me.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi all

Thanks
Karrie

Warm Welcome To AndroidCentral Karrie! Its very normal to feel like you have been put in the deep end. I felt the same way when i first started using an iPhone. You will get the hang of it. :)

It amazes me just how much more and android seems to be able to do technically vs the iPhone.

Thats one of the positives of Android. Customisation is only limited to your imagination.... (and the apps available) lol :)

See you around the forums.