Converted Apple Fan Boy

RL786

Oct 24, 2017
Visit site
After 10 iPhones, several iPads, and years of Macs, made the move to a Tab S3, Note 8, and Surface Pro. Love all of these devices and cannot see myself going back to the constrained, controlling Apple ecosystem. I do believe that Apple (Ives and Cook) are spending too much time on aesthetics and gimmicks, rather than true function and practical features. My Note 8 and Tab S8 are a world apart from Apple in usefulness and features.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
After 10 iPhones, several iPads, and years of Macs, made the move to a Tab S3, Note 8, and Surface Pro. Love all of these devices and cannot see myself going back to the constrained, controlling Apple ecosystem. I do believe that Apple (Ives and Cook) are spending too much time on aesthetics and gimmicks, rather than true function and practical features. My Note 8 and Tab S8 are a world apart from Apple in usefulness and features.

Welcome to the forums! Was there something specific that caused you to do all this?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums, and to the world of Android! So glad you are enjoying your Note 8, and your other Android devices! Wahoo!

RL786

Oct 24, 2017
Visit site
Well, it started with the disappointing iPhone X intro. More of the same thing from Apple. Productive innovation and useful features continued to lack. And that Notch in the X told me they rushed it out the door. Then I asked a couple of Uber drivers on a trip how they liked their Note phones. They raved, and that evening I watched some Note 8 tutorials online and I realized Apple was actually very far behind on innovative, productive features and my eyes were opened. My Note 8 definitely makes my work day more productive, and I'm doing more then just pushing app icons and swiping all day. I am translating text, taking notes, drawing on screen shots, using Bixby to find things online (using the Bixby vision feature), magnifying small text, and using dual apps. The Smart Unlock is saving me tons of time each day. Really, NONE of this is do-able on an iPhone, and barely on my iPad.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Well, it started with the disappointing iPhone X intro. More of the same thing from Apple. Productive innovation and useful features continued to lack. And that Notch in the X told me they rushed it out the door. Then I asked a couple of Uber drivers on a trip how they liked their Note phones. They raved, and that evening I watched some Note 8 tutorials online and I realized Apple was actually very far behind on innovative, productive features and my eyes were opened. My Note 8 definitely makes my work day more productive, and I'm doing more then just pushing app icons and swiping all day. I am translating text, taking notes, drawing on screen shots, using Bixby to find things online (using the Bixby vision feature), magnifying small text, and using dual apps. The Smart Unlock is saving me tons of time each day. Really, NONE of this is do-able on an iPhone, and barely on my iPad.
Interesting take. Can you elaborate on why you think the notch was a rushed thing? Not trying to pick on you or anything. Simply curious.

There is a YouTuber who has a significant following named Chris Pirillo (might have the last name misspelled) who echoes some of your points.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Welcome to the green side, and welcome to the AC Forums! :) If you run into any trouble or just want to join in the conversation, just post away! :)

RL786

Oct 24, 2017
Visit site
Interesting take. Can you elaborate on why you think the notch was a rushed thing? Not trying to pick on you or anything. Simply curious.

It is not like old-days Apple to have something like that notch front and center. I recall how Apple had so much angst over visible antenna limes on the back of the phone early on. For the X, I have got to think that they were struggling with overall engineering design, yet they HAD to do something "big" for the X and face recognition is what they latched onto. The technology and manufacturing were not quite perfect, but they had committed themselves. The notch and the delays are the result. Just speculation on my part, of course.

Honestly, though, phone looks are not that big a deal for me so the notch was not much of a consideration when I jumped ship (other than for me, it is a symptom of Apple investing in the wrong things on the iPhone). I just could not take another upgrade that bumped a few specs, rounded some curves, and added an unlock mechanism as its main selling feature.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Hello and welcome to the forums at Android Central!

I totally agree with you that the Note 8 leaves the iPhones eating its dust way, way behind!

As for the notch on the X, well, I don’t like it at all, looks dumb!
It also reminds me of a kid smiling but without the front top teeth.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site

Hey RL786 :) Thanks for joining the AndroidCentral Forums. Its not often you see someone who has purchased a lot of Apple products in the past move over to Android but I'm glad you are loving the change. Sometimes its good to have a change in scenery.

Hope to see you around the forums!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

So glad you are enjoying your Note 8! Lots of users have also fallen in love with the stylus. I hear it's very responsive.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central, and thanks for your history and insights! Now all we have to do is get you to replace that Surface Pro with a Pixelbook ... ;)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MickTavia