I'm enjoying the Android Evo experience, though I do miss the card organization for WebOS multitasking.

I have a question about the notification of phone memory getting low on space. Recently this notification has been popping up frequently, and I find it annoying. Can't clear it from the notifications. Can't find a setting to turn it off. I know I'm running low on phone storage, but I've moved all the apps I can to the SD card. Is this one of the big advantages to rooting your Android phone? Will phone storage space limitations and the fact that some apps will not run on the SD card be eliminated if I switch to another ROM? I know that I could get rid of some Sprint apps, but I'm wondering if the way the system partitions the memory between the phone and the SD card is modified in a custom ROM to allow more apps to be located on the SD card.

It seems like a serious restriction on the commerce of apps to be limited to such a small phone storage space, when there is so much SD card space to be had. WebOS started out with a similarly limited space for apps versus media storage, but they seemed to realize rather quickly that app developers would be seriously hampered, and that they were key to any smartphone (and now tablet) operating system's success. Software upgrades early on in the life of WebOS opened up the entire 8G of phone memory to apps.
    05-24-2011 04:40 AM
    Hi member,

Welcome to Android Central. Take a minute to tap on my signature for some Android tips & tricks.
    05-24-2011 08:16 AM
    Wecome!

I am on my 5th Pre and have an EVO too!

There are some apps that give you cards in the Getting Started in the Multitasking section.

Android Multitasking is automatic. Once you get used to not having to do your multitasking by hand, you may find yourself not wanting to have to use cards any more. Folders give you 3-click access to up to 256 apps.

A ROM will not change the fact that some apps will not go on the SD card. COntact those developers or delete. I have 161 apps and still have nearly 100 MB left on my EVO.

More memory or a bigger SD card will not fix the fact that you have run out of RAM.

What phone do you have? How much RAM do you have? How many apps do you have? What apps are the memory hogs?
    05-25-2011 11:21 AM