Long time lurker seeking advice on Android my next Android phone

foofighter#AC

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm a long time Nexus/Google phone user and currently using a pixel XL as my daily driver. I'm kind of over using a big phones and looking at something the size of the pixel 2, that being said I was kind of disappointed with the lack of wireless charging on the 2 so I figured I'll hold out to see what's coming.

I know the industry trend is to go big but I do like the portability of a device that's less than 150mm in height and suitable for 1 handed use. The iPhone x seems to be a good size but I cannot do iOS.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what device I can look forward to? Or should I just buck up and get the pixel 2?

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Wait for the Pixel 3. From the likes of it you already like the Google form of Android. The S9 will be a big change from that. The Pixel 3 will reportedly get wireless charging, but we'll see. At least by that time the S9 will have dropped prices, and you can also look at the Lg G7 or the upcoming OnePlus 6 at that point.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
The very limited choice of small, high-spec Androids is lamentable. I myself like a small one-hander when out and about, and in my case, I did go iPhone.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm a long time Nexus/Google phone user and currently using a pixel XL as my daily driver.

Hello there!

I hear a lot of good things about the pixel XL 2 and about the GS9.
I use the Note 8 and love it, but Samsung might or might not be your cup of tea if you're already used to vanilla Android with the pixel.
If you are in the US, check the GS9 at one of the best buy stores, see if you like it, not only on form but software.
If the pixel 3 is coming out soon than that might be an option too.
Let us know what you decide, and don't be a stranger after you get your new phone!

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I was stuck on wireless charging when it first came out but with the advent of rapid charging it's not a deal breaker for me.
If you really want it though try and wait for the Pixel 3 to see if they include it

foofighter#AC

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the pointers,I totally forgot to look at Sony.

As an aside I have tested the S9 prior to it's launch and I still can't get past the TouchWiz or any device that's skinned.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the pointers,I totally forgot to look at Sony.

As an aside I have tested the S9 prior to it's launch and I still can't get past the TouchWiz or any device that's skinned.
Yeah, Best Buy has the Sony XZ1 Compact and Essential Phone both at $399. They're both rock'n SD835s and are likely to be plenty quick with minimal if any bloat.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Welcome 'officially' to the AC Forums! Like others said, good options with smaller screens are really scarce (if any at all). I'd say go for the Pixel 2, it's a great device and the camera keeps blowing minds. Or if you can wait, then see what's around the corner in the coming months. Worst case scenario you can get a Pixel 2 for cheaper hehe

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Welcome! I too am a long time Google/Nexus/Pixel user. I'm very used to being the first to get operating system and security updates and to having unadulterated Android. I love my Pixel 2 XL and am very much looking forward to the Pixel 3 XL. My recommendation is to wait for the Pixel 3. I could never be satisfied by anything else.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! You are right - the trend now seems to be "go big or go home." The Pixel 2 is the only 5" phone that comes to mind (and then there's the Sony Compact device); but my recommendation is to wait and see what comes out if nothing currently available is wowing you. Best to spend your money on something you truly love and want to use! :) As others have recommended, I'd wait for the Pixel 3!

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Wait for the Pixel 3. From the likes of it you already like the Google form of Android. The S9 will be a big change from that. The Pixel 3 will reportedly get wireless charging, but we'll see. At least by that time the S9 will have dropped prices, and you can also look at the Lg G7 or the upcoming OnePlus 6 at that point.
All of this. I'm currently on the S8 and I'm looking at the G7 and hoping the new HTC device comes to the states.

I will say, having had the S8 for over a year now, you can simulate stock via launchers. I've been doing it since my Nexus 5, on multiple phones. Action Launcher is my old Nexus setup while Nova is the Pixel 2 setup. As the price falls, I think the S9 would be a great buy.

Last edited: