hello people new here! and i have some questions

Big Boar

Jun 10, 2018
Visit site
so.. im thinking of buying xiaomi mi 8 and i have LOTS of questions. first i start on how to take care of amoled screens. if i buy mi 8 it will be my first amoled phone, and i read many things that it needs more care than i ips. i read it can suffer from screen burning if a same colored image is still for a long time in max brightness. how can i take care and prevent it? also i read that amoled deteriorates over time and i read there's no way to prevent it, so how can i take care for amoled screen to prevent the damages? thank you!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! While I am no expert when it comes to screen types vs other screen types, preventing or being proactive against burn-in can be done by using darker wallpapers, icons, and themes. But burn-in may not even occur on many models of phones; or it won't happen until long periods of use. You'll see display models with burn-in because they are *always* on the same screen/welcome homescreen and so the images will naturally burn into the screen.

All that being said, I wouldn't worry too much about burn-in on your phone. It's good that you want to take care of it, though! Slap on a tempered glass screen protector if you want to be extra careful against drops and bumps.

Last edited:

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Welcome. :)

I've never experienced screen burn.The oldest OLED device I have has had over four years' use, with no burn.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Hello and welcome to the forums at Android Central!

I see you already got some advice, I agree with them; no need to worry about it.
Unless you're planning to keep it at max on the same thing for many, many days, even weeks.
Enjoy the forums and have fun, let us know when you get the new phone and how you like it. BTW, what Android devices do you have?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I agree with the above. As a general rule, don't let the phone's screen stay on while you're not actively using it. Make sure the screen timeout is set to something reasonably short, like a minute or less.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums! My oldest active AMOLED phone screen is almost 4 years old (my wife currently uses it) and I can detect no sign of burn-in. So I agree with the others. Set a reasonable screen time-out and don't worry about it.

Big Boar

Jun 10, 2018
Visit site
Hello and welcome to the forums at Android Central!

I see you already got some advice, I agree with them; no need to worry about it.
Unless you're planning to keep it at max on the same thing for many, many days, even weeks.
Enjoy the forums and have fun, let us know when you get the new phone and how you like it. BTW, what Android devices do you have?

currently zenfone 3 of 2016, and planning to upgrade to xiaomi mi 8

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome